Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running windows 7 64bit on my brand new sig rig. OS is on SSD, bios is set to raid and I'm running a 2 TB raid 1 setup.

From power on to desktop all I see is this:
1. power button on
2. bios in non graphical mode (set that way in bios)
3. black screen for ~20 seconds or so
4. fully booted. or just barely catching the blue windows start-up screen right before the desktop.

Why am I just black screening for an extended amount of time? It's not really a "problem" but kind of nerve wrecking to have a brand new $2,300 computer sit in limbo. I personally believe it to be a SSD related issue, but I'm open to ideas...

- Yak
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
External usb drive plugged in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
I don't think the SSD is your problem. Though I can see your point the black screen is rather disheartening. You may try repairing the OS install with the win 7 disk. but on the plus side it does save you from that nails on a chalkboard windows 7 boot sound. If everything seems to work once windows is booted I really wouldn't worry about it, my win 7 gets this weird image flicker on windows logo during booting then right after I get these little green artifacts pop up before the desktop, but everything runs fine. I think its just a windows quark rather than a problem with your system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
so, do you see the black screen with the windows dots saying starting windowS? (the one before the windows blue startup screen)

http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/comp...7-starting.jpg
^^^ no, I do not ever see this screen. but I didn't see it on my other pc for more than a second or two so I'm not all that worried about seeing that specifically. I just want to know why my boot time is longer with a faster computer/SSD and my screen is completely black for 90% of it.
Quote:
External usb drive plugged in?
^^^ I had that issue booting my laptop with a phone plugged in (halted the boot) this isn't the issue. plus I don't have one anyways.
Quote:
I don't think the SSD is your problem. Though I can see your point the black screen is rather disheartening. You may try repairing the OS install with the win 7 disk. but on the plus side it does save you from that nails on a chalkboard windows 7 boot sound. If everything seems to work once windows is booted I really wouldn't worry about it, my win 7 gets this weird image flicker on windows logo during booting then right after I get these little green artifacts pop up before the desktop, but everything runs fine. I think its just a windows quark rather than a problem with your system.
^^^ Yeah it is like *sad panda* then an attractive young lady on my desktop greets me and tells me it's all OK, but still. The reason I believe it to be SSD related is everything is a completely fresh install so it can't be f-ed up really... (although it is windows...)... but then again everything else seems to work A-OK as soon as it boots so IDK W%F because typically that would rule out the SSD "issue"... you could definitely be right though, I'll Google around and see if it's a windows issue or maybe something mobo/UEFI/BIOS related as I haven't used a "newer" bios until now.

I will take more detailed notes on the situation when I get home for y'all... but it is very frustrating to see $2,300 work less than flawlessly as you all probably have experienced or can imagine. I would very much like to fix this issue.

Thanks,
- Yak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Maybe the Animation files have become corrupted, You can restore them using programs. Even if it is a fresh install it can happen. I Wouldnt know how to check. Also it takes my SSD 8 Secs of the Windows 7 Boot screen. and the Vertex 3 is faster then the Agility (i think, dont hate if im wrong).

So yeah, maybe check it out, fix windows start up using the disc you create
Good Luck!
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Maybe the Animation files have become corrupted, You can restore them using programs. Even if it is a fresh install it can happen. I Wouldnt know how to check. Also it takes my SSD 8 Secs of the Windows 7 Boot screen. and the Vertex 3 is faster then the Agility (i think, dont hate if im wrong).

So yeah, maybe check it out, fix windows start up using the disc you create
Good Luck!

^^^ I really doubt it is corruption because it is just BLACK for more than 1 of the process screens. The vertex is like 25 mb/s faster writing or something like that, virtually they are exactly the same speed 500+ r/w.

Quote:


Dude do you have the newest intel sata drivers? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ology&lang=eng

that just fixed a similar issue for me the other day.

Also firmware update for your ssd?

I have "auto updated" all of my drivers through windows hardware manager manually, but I definitely need to check firmware/sata drivers. would you mind elaborating on what similar issue you fixed?

Thanks
-Yak
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The_Hairy_Yak
View Post

^^^ I really doubt it is corruption because it is just BLACK for more than 1 of the process screens. The vertex is like 25 mb/s faster writing or something like that, virtually they are exactly the same speed 500+ r/w.

I have "auto updated" all of my drivers through windows hardware manager manually, but I definitely need to check firmware/sata drivers. would you mind elaborating on what similar issue you fixed?

Thanks
-Yak

boot up issue, took the pc a few minutes sometimes to boot up, some times it booted delayed like what you are describing as well. Download teh intel driver package and install and see if it works better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
If your version of Windows isn't genuine, whoever packed it probably removed the Windows splash screen you normally see during start-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
boot up issue, took the pc a few minutes sometimes to boot up, some times it booted delayed like what you are describing as well. Download teh intel driver package and install and see if it works better.
will definitely look into this when I get home.
Quote:
If your version of Windows isn't genuine, whoever packed it probably removed the Windows splash screen you normally see during start-up.
My uncle works for Microsoft, so I doubt an employee store copy isn't genuine
wink.gif
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Have you tried allowing the GUI boot just for observation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike;15250203
If your version of Windows isn't genuine, whoever packed it probably removed the Windows splash screen you normally see during start-up.
He has "No GUI Boot" turned on.
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike;15250203
If your version of Windows isn't genuine, whoever packed it probably removed the Windows splash screen you normally see during start-up.
this if nothing else.

Love my mouse to text skills lol
attachment.php?attachmentid=233084&stc=1&d=1318274844
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Have you tried allowing the GUI boot just for observation?
I will x2 check this when I get home but I don't recall it booting correctly before I changed it. as far as I was concerned it was only the bios boot screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
this if nothing else.

Love my mouse to text skills lol
Attached Thumbnails
Confusing boot... issue?... maybe?-capture.png
where is this? My background is mostly from configuring 2k8 servers at a data center...
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Oh, I was mistaken. I thought that's the setting you had changed.

Run "msconfig" to find that panel.

Also, you might try changing the BIOS options for the first display output initialized.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top