Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of a previous post where my friend had problems with his computer restarting after playing UT2K4. Well, it's now worse. His comp is not connected to the internet or a network, it is not overclocked, and is brand new. This is a quote from his email:

My computer is pissing me off! If I play UT2004 for about 1/2 an hour it freezes and the speakers will make a scratching sound. If I play FARCRY for like 3 minutes it does the same thing. And I was playing Rome:TW for like and hour and a half and it did it again. It happens everytime I play a game. I don't know what to do. Maybe it is a hardware problem? Maybe you can come check it out again. If you can't fix it FREDs probably can't fix it and I will end up taking it back to Edmonton. I tried restalling UT2004 and it still ****s up. The only stupid thing I can think of is the refresh rate. Because I turned it to 85Hertz from 60 Hertz.

Anyone have any idea on how I can solve this problem? Much appreciated on both out behaves.
Specs:
A64 3400+
K8V mobo
512 Kingston PC3200 ValueRam
BFG 6600GT
120G SATA

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've read of a few different instances where the system was shutting down due to a lack of power. How big is the power supply in this box?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
420W Raidmax, same as me. peice of crap but he just has stock cooling and no lights, no OC, nothing so it should be fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus
This is a continuation of a previous post where my friend had problems with his computer restarting after playing UT2K4. Well, it's now worse. His comp is not connected to the internet or a network, it is not overclocked, and is brand new. This is a quote from his email:

My computer is pissing me off! If I play UT2004 for about 1/2 an hour it freezes and the speakers will make a scratching sound. If I play FARCRY for like 3 minutes it does the same thing. And I was playing Rome:TW for like and hour and a half and it did it again. It happens everytime I play a game. I don't know what to do. Maybe it is a hardware problem? Maybe you can come check it out again. If you can't fix it FREDs probably can't fix it and I will end up taking it back to Edmonton. I tried restalling UT2004 and it still ****s up. The only stupid thing I can think of is the refresh rate. Because I turned it to 85Hertz from 60 Hertz.

Anyone have any idea on how I can solve this problem? Much appreciated on both out behaves.
Specs:
A64 3400+
K8V mobo
512 Kingston PC3200 ValueRam
BFG 6600GT
120G SATA

How about trying a reinstall of the O/S. When it does this do you have to reboot the system or the game just exits ? 6600 GT from BFG has a temp senser, check to see temps on this card under loads. Could be a graphic card issue.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He really doesn't want to do an OS reinstall. But when it crashes he has to reboot, it totally hangs. That sounds like a good idea, checking the temps. I'm unfamilliar with nVidia software, where and how would I go about accessing that temp sensor. Put it in laymans terms so I can email it to him so he can check it himself, and remember, he isn't computer savy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

He really doesn't want to do an OS reinstall. But when it crashes he has to reboot, it totally hangs. That sounds like a good idea, checking the temps. I'm unfamilliar with nVidia software, where and how would I go about accessing that temp sensor. Put it in laymans terms so I can email it to him so he can check it himself, and remember, he isn't computer savy.
He should be able to right click desktop -> Properties->Settings->Advanced->6600 Geforce (a small window pops up for additional options)
-> Temperature

If not,
Download NVTweak.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4375.html

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hookay, I'll get him to do that. Thank you, hopefully we can figure this out.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Enable Coolbits 2 for ForceWare or dl nVtweak

·
Registered
308 Posts
You might also consider taking a look at the RAM.. could be faulty. Have him download memtest86 from http://www.memtest.org and run a few cycles.

Also, try going into Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup & Recovery and if automatically restart is checked turn it off. This should force the system to blue screen rather than just restart and give him an error code to help determine the cause of failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts