Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to get a 720p 32inch LCD TV.

If I hook my 4850 to the tv with a hdmi cable, I'll be able to output sound to the tv, no?

For gaming, does that mean less fps than normal?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Not sure about the ATI cards, check on their site/research online to see if it outputs audio also, I know most of the gfx cards with hdmi do not output sound via hdmi.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There are only a couple video cards that have a sound hook-up, and I don't think the 4850 supports it. It won't output a sound signal. This can be easily overcome though by hooking the 3.5mm jack on the back of your mobo to a 3.5mm-RCA jack adapter, then running it to your tv

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bear
View Post

Not sure about the ATI cards, check on their site/research online to see if it outputs audio also, I know most of the gfx cards with hdmi do not output sound via hdmi.

Most video cards DO output sound via HDMI. In fact, all ATI HDxxxx cards do.

Your FPS will be higher actually. 720p is only 1280x720 which is lower than PC monitors.

·
Banned
862 Posts
probably will be sound and video. but if not then you can get a 3.5 jack to RCA converter so you can hook the sound up through your RCA's or get a new sound card with an optical output and use that for sound

·
The Computer Guy
6,488 Posts
yes u can,use the dvi to hdmi dongle & just get the hdmi cable.remember to setup your audio in the control panel.
games do not run as fast on the hd tv than your monitor.

·
Banned
862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday
View Post

problem is that most people have problems with getting the sound output =.

well if he does then thats what we're here for...

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Your FPS will be higher actually. 720p is only 1280x720 which is lower than PC monitors.

I know it would be higher, but what I was wondering is if all things being equal, does the sound output lower the fps?

So in essence, does the 4850 output sound by default or do I have to "switch" it on, because if it is already outputting sound then there would probably be no fps loss.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Reality check fellows? What is the real difference between HDMI and DVI?

I am waiting.

Still waiting.

Yes a gold star to the new guy! HDMI has sound DVI does not.

Hello?

·
Banned
862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

Reality check fellows? What is the real difference between HDMI and DVI?

I am waiting.

Still waiting.

Yes a gold star to the new guy! HDMI has sound DVI does not.

Hello?

hello

·
The Computer Guy
6,488 Posts
u can switch it back & forth in the control panel

• Rep+
Reactions: homestyle

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homestyle
View Post

So I'm about to get a 720p 32inch LCD TV.

If I hook my 4850 to the tv with a hdmi cable, I'll be able to output sound to the tv, no?

For gaming, does that mean less fps than normal?

I have my 4850 connected to one of my HDTVs and yes it will output sound and it does it well. The only thing that would lower your fps would be the resolution (720p vs 1080i/p).

·
Banned
862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatingrocker17
View Post

I have my 4850 connected to one of my HDTVs and yes it will output sound and it does it well. The only thing that would lower your fps would be the resolution (720p vs 1080i/p).

exactly..the sound won;t affect your fps

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMOCO
View Post

u can switch it back & forth in the control panel

How do I do that?

·
Banned
862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homestyle
View Post

How do I do that?

open your control panel up and look for the audio/video options and select the one that says hdmi output for sound.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

My HDMI HD 4650 specifically stated it would not do sound (Gigabyte). My mother board, also with HDMI said the same thing.

my new 4870 only had DVI - so it was a non-issue. But the blanket statement of all HD series cards just can't be correct

Not saying it isn't possible - clearly people have it working here. But my experience has been the opposite. So look at the individual card I guess would be the best advice.

Sorry Ducky... just what I've experienced..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts