Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in need of an item that will let me connect to a wireless network to connect to the internet and then share that internet connection across 2-3 ethernet cables.

Any suggestions?

I should mention I do not have access to the modem or router currently in place.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureScience View Post

... I do not have access to the modem or router currently in place.
Do you mean "physical" access?
Or do you mean you don't have access to the wireless signal (ie the network to which you want to connect to is a secured network)?

Most wireless networks are secured to prevent people from doing exactly what you want to do.

If it's an "open" wireless signal all you need is a wireless card for your computer. Then, when you have access to the internet, you can create a network using Windows Home Networking to connect any wired or wireless devices to your computer (and the internet). The legality and morality of doing that, without the owner of the wireless signal's permission, is, well, dubious, at best.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I mean no physical access. I get my internet from my landlords router, wirelessly.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You could get a "Media Bridge" such as the Linksys WES610N-NP. You can also get an ordinary, DD-WRT-capable router and set it up with DD-WRT in Bridge mode. I use a Dlink DAP-1650 for exactly what you want (my router is in a place I can't run a cable to), but I'm hesitant to recommend it because I have to restart it about once a week. but I'm pretty sure any "Wireless Extender" that has ethernet ports will do what you want.

Anything that you plug into any of the above will act just like its been plugged straight into the back of the wireless router.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone on a different forum suggested getting a wireless access point box. Now these usually come with only 1 ethernet port so he suggested using a switch in this port to hook up my 2 computers.

This sound like a good idea?

I have looked into these "wireless extenders" but I see a lot of bad customer reviews for them.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Someone on a different forum suggested getting a wireless access point box. Now these usually come with only 1 ethernet port so he suggested using a switch in this port to hook up my 2 computers.

This sound like a good idea?

I have looked into these "wireless extenders" but I see a lot of bad customer reviews for them.
You can get a wireless access point with 4 wired connections.

And, no, an extender won't do what you want to do. It just "rebroadcasts" the a wireless signal. They have no external networking connections.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

No I mean no physical access. I get my internet from my landlords router, wirelessly.
You'll need to access the landlords router's software. You'll need the password. Then it's just a wireless access point and creating a little personal network.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

You can get a wireless access point with 4 wired connections.
I couldn't find any with more than 1 port at my local webstores. Though it's a bit hard to search for them as they all seem to go by different functionality labels.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

You'll need to access the landlords router's software. You'll need the password. Then it's just a wireless access point and creating a little personal network.
Oh I wish. Imagine, I could have open ports as well. A boy can dream
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmatic View Post

You could get a "Media Bridge" such as the Linksys WES610N-NP. You can also get an ordinary, DD-WRT-capable router and set it up with DD-WRT in Bridge mode. I use a Dlink DAP-1650 for exactly what you want (my router is in a place I can't run a cable to), but I'm hesitant to recommend it because I have to restart it about once a week. but I'm pretty sure any "Wireless Extender" that has ethernet ports will do what you want.

Anything that you plug into any of the above will act just like its been plugged straight into the back of the wireless router.
I was also going to suggest using a router capable of DD-WRT for doing this.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
You can do this with an apple airport extreme. Just set it in extend mode and plug in to the three gigE ports on the back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts