Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have someone's brains to pick.

I have 2 routers, 1 ADSL (Netgear DG834) and 1 Cable (Belkin N one). What I wanna do is connect the 2 together wirelessly.

The internet is connected to the ADSL one as I have ADSL broadband.

I really don't know where to start with this.

Anyone got any theories, hypothesis's etc etc

Thanks guys n gals!!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Are these modem/router combos? ADSL and Cable are ISP connection types.... you need a modem to decode them for LAN.

You can form a wireless bridge.

What is the exact setup of your proposed network?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right basically, the netgear downstairs and the belkin upstairs.

The reason for the router upstairs is that we have Freesat upstairs which has an ethernet port.

We have 1 desktop pc and 2 laptops which connect wirelessly. That's not the problem at all, just need to get the 2 routers to communicate wirelessly.

I read sumthing about a wireless bridge, do i need sumthing extra for that??

Thanks

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Also remember unless you have a dual band router, you will be working at the lowest common denominator. Meaning if that Netgear is a wireless G, all adapters are going to work at 54 Mbps at 2.5GHz vs the 200+ Mbps 2.5/5GHz range. So before you do that, verify if you have any wireless N cards on the network.

But of course the speed of the network really only has to do with from the router to the computer.

Also if you want to set up network roaming just make sure you have the SSID for both routers the same. But watch out for channel overlap. so the wireless G you are gonna wanna that at 1,6, or 11(these are the channels that do not overlap for multiple G routers.) but you wanna have them as far a part as possible in regards to channels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts