Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old ampilifier. I want to connect my 2 pioneer speakers to this but i am a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Anyways i know i need a cable that has 2 RCA jacks in one end and a headphone jack in the other so i can connect the amplifier to the soundcard.

This is the cable i need :

I have 2 RCA jacks and a headphone jack but i don't know how to connect them : / Can anybody help me here ?

This is what i have now... I have to connect them together. Colored lines are the wires (Yea my MS paint skills again
)

THANK YOU !

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Black in top "AUX CD" hole and red in bottom AUX CD.

Should work... just make sure you switch the amp to AUX

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
Black in top "AUX CD" hole and red in bottom AUX CD.

Should work... just make sure you switch the amp to AUX
LoL thanks kidwolf but i wasnt asking that

I dont have the required cable, i want to make one since i dont want to pay $15 for it.

Thank you..

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3 View Post
LoL thanks kidwolf but i wasnt asking that

I dont have the required cable, i want to make one since i dont want to pay $15 for it.

Thank you..
Ohhhhhh I see, sorry for the misunderstanding... hold on a second, lemme look at it again.

• Rep+
Reactions: 3xtr3m3

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
I assume that the red and yellow are your left and right speakers and the gray is your ground. So twist and tape/cap the grounds from the white and red RCA together and twist them together with the gray lead from the headphone. Then plug your speakers into the amp and test which lead (yellow or red) corresponds to which speaker (left or right)... Then cap the correct wires together between the RCA and headphone jack. Or you could just wing it and not test and just listen invert the RCA's on the amp if it turns out wrong...

Hope this helps! Make sure you twist your wires well and DEFINATELY cap the connections or electrical tape them if you have no caps.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
I assume that the red and yellow are your left and right speakers and the gray is your ground. So twist and tape/cap the grounds from the white and red RCA together and twist them together with the gray lead from the headphone. Then plug your speakers into the amp and test which lead (yellow or red) corresponds to which speaker (left or right)... Then cap the correct wires together between the RCA and headphone jack. Or you could just wing it and not test and just listen invert the RCA's on the amp if it turns out wrong...

Hope this helps! Make sure you twist your wires well and DEFINATELY cap the connections or electrical tape them if you have no caps.
Nope it didn't work. I tried to connect different wires together. I think i am going to buy that cable tomorrow. Thanks again !

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3 View Post
Nope it didn't work. I tried to connect different wires together. I think i am going to buy that cable tomorrow. Thanks again !
Ehhh crap :-\\

Well, at least we tried! lol... The cable shouldn't be much anyway.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1 View Post
Is there a reason you cannot just buy one from radioshack for a few $?
It was $15CAD and i thought i could do it myself. I am a failure in life

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
if you have a stereo mini plug it has a tip, ring and shaft (TRS) the tip is left, ring is right and the shaft is ground. Both channels share the ground.

RCA plugs the center pin is the signal(left or right) and the outer ring is ground.

All you need is a multimeter to test which is which on the mini plug as it looks like you have it figured out on your RCA jacks. Then just connect the wires and you're good to go.

One word of caution though... it looks like your cables don't have any shielding so you may (likely will) pick up noise. You would be better off buying a mini-RCA cable or having someone who knows what they are doing make you one.

I have several mini-RCA cables some professionally made, and others that I have made (and are better then the Belkin and Monster ones I have) Let me know if you need one

• Rep+
Reactions: 3xtr3m3
1 - 11 of 11 Posts