Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HDMI to Mini HDMI cable. I plugged the HDMI into my A/V Receiver and the mini HDMI into my card, since that is what it has. I booted up the receiver, but I'm not seeing any option here...I went to the NVIDIA control panel and I see Digital Audio, but no options, all greyed out.

Is there a guide to hooking up a A/V Receiver via to a NVIDIA graphics card?

Or should I go TOSLINK to my Sound card?

Ah, got it be putting it on a "Game port" instead.

However, I can't see the Receivers Menu's...which are required to tweak settings...frustrating right now.

I also read this means it's basically not using my sound card...should I go optical to that instead, would that be better?

It also seems to be extending the screen, i.e, my mouse can go all the way over into nothingness, like I have a secondary monitor...which it detects the Denon AVR as. If I disable this, I lose audio as well.

Sigh.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Right click the white speaker icon on the bottom right of the task bar and select playback devices, there you should see what is available to you, my PC for example shows Harmon_AVR*-1 which stands for my Harmon Kardon AVR 2600.

Select your AVR from that list if it's there and make sure you right click it and set as default device, if it's not there then there might be an issue with either the cable or the AVR isn't set up in the correct input and maybe the PC doesn't see it.

The grayed out options on the Nvidia panel I've come across when looking at sound a few times but since I never move it it never really matters to me. Sometimes it will show up there sometimes not, but I always get sound.

If you have any question post before D3 comes back up (estimated 6:00am PST) cuse I'm not sure I'll be back in the forums once that's up.
tongue.gif
Or PM with any questions and hopefully my phones alerts me to the pm.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that's been resolved.

My main problem is the GUI

and no, it's not hooked up to my monitor. I don't have a HDMI compatible monitor, I have it setup via my NVIDIA card. I'd thought that would have made the GUI usable.

I can get audio and stuff in games and movies, but I can't really adjust any settings.

I imagine I would get a HDMI to DVI Adapter and connect that from my Monitor, to the Receiver? That sucks.

Like I said, it detects the Receiver as a Monitor as well, moved my entire Desktop to a virtual space I can't see. Annoying.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
so to see your receivers settings you need to have your monitor hooked up to the output on your receiver? like my onkyo.
my receiver also shows up as a secondary monitor (so i guess thats normal), but i have my tv as the output.
as for your desktop, have been into the windows display settings and selected your monitor and deselected the (non existant) secondary monitor?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Yes, that's been resolved.
My main problem is the GUI
and no, it's not hooked up to my monitor. I don't have a HDMI compatible monitor, I have it setup via my NVIDIA card. I'd thought that would have made the GUI usable.
I can get audio and stuff in games and movies, but I can't really adjust any settings.
I imagine I would get a HDMI to DVI Adapter and connect that from my Monitor, to the Receiver? That sucks.
Like I said, it detects the Receiver as a Monitor as well, moved my entire Desktop to a virtual space I can't see. Annoying.
What do you mean GUI? The AVR's GUI won't show unless you have a monitor hooked up obviously but the AVR's screen should be showing an ultra simple menu which you can navigate with. Or do you mean the GUI that you use to set whether the connection is a 2.0/2.1/5./71/7.2/ect that outputs the sound to the AVR? For that you can use the default Sound menu and just right click the AVR and select "Configure Speakers"

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
For a Nvidia card to output sound to a receiver with out having a monitor connected to it you have to trick it, as nvidia developed it in a stupid way. go to your screen Rez options and set the receiver to extended display, have the two desktops meet at the corner so your mouse doesn't move over to the other screen. Once you do this, you can now go to your device playback menu and select the hdmi. I have done this may times and haven't found anyway around having to do all this.

if you can go from pc to receiver to DVI they that would be best as you wouldn't have to deal with a fake extended desktop.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
sorry, if you disable your second monitor you prob won't get sound
i used to use dvi to hdmi adapter on my gtx480 then hdmi cable to receiver
an adapter for mightwork, but i think on mine you cant plug the adapter directly into the monitor, monitor is video only and has less pin holes(i think! i'm at work and can't check.
try plugging the adapter into the end of a dvi cable, maybe..

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_LiG View Post

sorry, if you disable your second monitor you prob won't get sound
i used to use dvi to hdmi adapter on my gtx480 then hdmi cable to receiver
an adapter for mightwork, but i think on mine you cant plug the adapter directly into the monitor, monitor is video only and has less pin holes(i think! i'm at work and can't check.
try plugging the adapter into the end of a dvi cable, maybe..
I can't make sense of what you said except for the first part, which is true, I tried to disable it, and yes, I don't get sound.

and Dzilla, that doesn't work, sadly.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
sorry,
you said your monitor was not hdmi
so to see your receivers gui you need a wire going from the output on your receiver (hdmi) to the input on your monitor(dvi)
you could buy a hdmi to dvi cable, but i dont know for sure that it would work, i was trying to suggest a makeshift cable made up of
1. a hdmi cable
2. then a hdmi to dvi adapter(if you have one)
3. then a dvi cable
but i wasn't sure if it would all fit together

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
should have explained this too.
there are 2 different dvi connections, dvi-i has 4 extra pins and can carry audio, a male dvi-i will not plug into a dvi-d female socket as the dvi-d socket doesn't have the 4 extra holes.

your monitor probably has a dvi-d socket
my dvi-hdmi adapter has dvi-i plug
i don't know which type a hdmi to dvi cable has

1 - 14 of 14 Posts