Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently came into possession of an Acer H340 NAS, which has Windows Home Server on it and running on an older Intel Atom. Seems like a capable system for a NAS, I guess.

I am not sure how to connect to it though. I'd like to stay away from the Acer software as much as I can, so I was wondering if there is a quick and dirty method of connection to a headless WHS PC. I do have access to the OS by popping it in an external HDD caddy, so I can add files and what not. Looks like it hasn't been touch, and is most likely in the original state.

My previous work on headless computers had display out connectors which I used at the start to set policies and IPs so I could remote into them later. Since I don't have video out on this (unless I go buy a 2x PCIE card), not quite sure what to do.

Update (if anyone cares): So based on the indicator lights, it boots and has network connection. Setup a DHCP server, can't can't seem to assign an IP to the NAS or get any pings from it. Since the baord has a 2x PCIE lane, I cut the back of it out so I could fit a x16 card in it (and for some reason had to cover up the pins to make it a 1x since it wouldn't display with 2x pins). Finally got some video output. So like the OS BSODs after loading. Flashed a linux build and going from there now.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
So I recently came into possession of an Acer H340 NAS, which has Windows Home Server on it and running on an older Intel Atom. Seems like a capable system for a NAS, I guess.

I am not sure how to connect to it though. I'd like to stay away from the Acer software as much as I can, so I was wondering if there is a quick and dirty method of connection to a headless WHS PC. I do have access to the OS by popping it in an external HDD caddy, so I can add files and what not. Looks like it hasn't been touch, and is most likely in the original state.

My previous work on headless computers had display out connectors which I used at the start to set policies and IPs so I could remote into them later. Since I don't have video out on this (unless I go buy a 2x PCIE card), not quite sure what to do.

Update (if anyone cares): So based on the indicator lights, it boots and has network connection. Setup a DHCP server, can't can't seem to assign an IP to the NAS or get any pings from it. Since the baord has a 2x PCIE lane, I cut the back of it out so I could fit a x16 card in it (and for some reason had to cover up the pins to make it a 1x since it wouldn't display with 2x pins). Finally got some video output. So like the OS BSODs after loading. Flashed a linux build and going from there now.
Windows Home Server isn't too bad as long as it is Home Server 2011.

But yeah you don't need video outputs to control it, as you can remote desktop into or. And the initial setup is via the web and the windows tool you download and install.

Linux is probably the way to go. But I would still set it up to be headless, set it up so you can remote in and leave it be. :2cents:

I would also consider something like Unraid, or even Open Media Vault.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts