Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
no, you would need the audio connector from your mobo's internal s/pdif header to your video card. Buy an ATI and it is easier

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilxkid24
View Post

So there is no way I would get audio?

Not through DVI ports, no. You will have to use separate speakers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My gtx470 plays sound to my tv via my DVI to HDMI cable i have from the graphics card to my tv.

I see however you have a 9800GT, i had one of those before i switched to my current setup, my video card (9800) came with a little 2 pin connector that i connected to the motherboard sp/dif out and to my video card which allowed sound to travel through the dvi to hdmi cable.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykah89
View Post

My gtx470 plays sound to my tv via my DVI to HDMI cable i have from the graphics card to my tv.

Okay, maybe you can then.

However, the 9800 is two generations old, I believe. I wouldn't count on it being able to do this.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn
View Post

Okay, maybe you can then.

However, the 9800 is two generations old, I believe. I wouldn't count on it being able to do this.

Edited my post after i read what card he had, with my prior cards experiences

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Edited my post after i read what card he had, with my prior cards experiences

Quote:

View Post

I see however you have a 9800GT, i had one of those before i switched to my current setup, my video card (9800) came with a little 2 pin connector that i connected to the motherboard sp/dif out and to my video card which allowed sound to travel through the dvi to hdmi cable.

Okay, I thought that would be a way to do it, since my old 295s had SPDIF connections, but I wasn't sure if the 9800 had them.

So yes, you can get audio. Connect your motherboard's sound port to the video card's SPDIF connector, and then a DVI to HDMI to the TV and you're all set.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would check your graphics card for the small two pin port, just running the dvi to hdmi cable would be a much cleaner (less wires) approach if your 9800 has the spot like mine did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilxkid24 View Post
I see audio on back of the tv. Looks like a long 3.5mm would work.

Fwiw the card i had was the MSI one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...20Video%20Card

That picture near the top left the small white box on top has two small single pin connections which a wire connects from there to the motherboard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are a few ways to go about this. For video you can get a dvi to hdmi cable. To get audio out of your TV you can use either a male to male 3.5mm audio cable or a male 3.5mm to red and white stereo audio cable.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
If you want HDMI with audio, you can get one of the low end cards (4350) with HDMI.

I don't know about nVidia, but I know ATI supports audio over HDMI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts