Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 24 hours my connection has been going out every few minutes for 5-20 seconds at a time, and then coming back. I called my ISP and they say its nothing on their end. I've directly connected to my moden, restarted my modem and router, disabled and reenabled my network device, just about everything and this is still happening. My speeds are the same though. I get the same speedtest.net results as always and have even downloaded a few files at normal speeds. I've tried closing out bit torrent, steam, and any other app that would use bandwidth and the problem persists. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
What type of connection do you have (DSL, Cable, etc)?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cable. Im using one of those Arris Telephony modems. My network is still accessible as I can still view other devices and my router during the moments when it drops.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
When it drops, do a trace route to determine where the problem is:

Open a command prompt (Start | Run | cmd)

type in: tracert 208.67.222.222

Get a screenshot of the result...

That is basically a simple trace route to an OpenDNS server...

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
Then it's an issue with the modem, or the cables going from the modem to the wall socket.

·
Loosing Vision
1,894 Posts
Most likely the modem. They can be brand new and crap from the Gito!

You can pull the plug on the modem and do a hard reset on it for at least 30 sec's I prefere 60 sec's then isolate it by using one pc only. if it help then continue to hook to addtional routers etc.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
When it drops, do a trace route to determine where the problem is:

Open a command prompt (Start | Run | cmd)

type in: tracert 208.67.222.222

Get a screenshot of the result...

That is basically a simple trace route to an OpenDNS server...

I replaced the ethernet cable from my PC to the router and when i had it directly connected to the modem. Ive restarted my modem several times; leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds and pushing the reset button with a pen.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Uhh.... you didn't do that tracert when the connection was down, did you?

At this point, I'd probably b!tch to your ISP and have them send you another modem...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
Uhh.... you didn't do that tracert when the connection was down, did you?

At this point, I'd probably b!tch to your ISP and have them send you another modem...
I did. Even tried browsing the internet while it was doing so. Got "Connecting to..." in Firefox.

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX View Post
DNS problems then. Try navigating to http://67.220.212.115 when it happens again. If it works and http://overclock.net doesn't, then you've found your issue - it's the DNS servers.

Yeah, I agree. Damn I need some sleep....

Zzzzz

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz View Post
Not a DNS issue. Both timed out.
Do you have another computer on the network you can test with? Just to eliminate the possibility that it's your computer....?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I think the router is the bad guy. Try to dl a firmware upgrade?
Ive tried on two separate occasions directly connected to my modem. Im now updating my LAN device.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz View Post
Well I get to go the entire weekend until someone comes out on monday with constantly disconnecting internet.
Well, sounds like you've done everything you can on your end. At this point, I would really start to suspect the modem itself.... bummer...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Having the same problem, except with DSL. I have determined it to be my router, because I don't have a modem :|

Now how to explain it to my dad...

"Hey, dad, I think we need a new router."

"WHAT?! WE'VE OWNED THIS FOR 6 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT!"

"It's 6 years old. I think the old tech needs replacement regardless. It's messed up, besides."

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldYrPistlstr8 View Post
Having the same problem, except with DSL. I have determined it to be my router, because I don't have a modem :|

Now how to explain it to my dad...

"Hey, dad, I think we need a new router."

"WHAT?! WE'VE OWNED THIS FOR 6 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT!"

"It's 6 years old. I think the old tech needs replacement regardless. It's messed up, besides."
Ive owned my current router for a bit longer than 6 years and each time I think its my routers fault it turns out its either my ISP or modem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts