Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Intel's next-generation processor micro-architecture, which apparently will be named simply "NGMA," will be posting about 20% more performance per clock cycle than AMD Socket 939 Athlon processors, according to a Cnet report. Industry sources confirmed this claim to TG Daily, but mentioned that opportunities for comparison between AMD and Intel chips are limited, as Conroe processors are only available as 1.8 GHz engineering samples at this time.

Souce: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/21/conroe_athlon/

-Can't wait to see these things go head to head

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I wanted an AMD but now Intel improvements have made me think otherwise...

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Mmmm! sounds like a tasty chip indeed
I really want one of those, especially if they beef up the on-board cache to level with future AMD cache. Yum yum!

Highly-Annoyed

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
Conroe sounds better every time. So far I have not heard anything expectacular about AM2. AMD better not screw up or they will be in a lot of trouble.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
AM2 will have DDR2 support, and 89W dual cores along with lower W single cores, all this on 90nm. Once AMD feels threatened im sure they will get their 65nm's out. And with chips im pretty sure will be able to top 3.0ghz on air (dual core) Intel may still have things going against them. But we will still have to wait for when they actually come out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
And the big question I have is about Pricing. If it performs 20% better but costs 40% more its not gonna happen for me at least.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

AM2 will have DDR2 support, and 89W dual cores along with lower W single cores, all this on 90nm. Once AMD feels threatened im sure they will get their 65nm's out. And with chips im pretty sure will be able to top 3.0ghz on air (dual core) Intel may still have things going against them. But we will still have to wait for when they actually come out.

Yea i bet they wait till they see the benchmarks between the two, im still on the edge of which one to get conroe, or new amd am2.....im undecided until benchmarks come out

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdub998

And the big question I have is about Pricing. If it performs 20% better but costs 40% more its not gonna happen for me at least.

Quote:

Intel will be offering six versions of the Conroe processor at launch:

* E6700: 2.66 GHz / FSB 1066/ 4 MB shared L2 cache
* E6600: 2.40 GHz / FSB 1066/ 4 MB shared L2 cache
* E6400: 2.13 GHz / FSB 1066/ 2 MB shared L2 cache
* E6300: 1.86 GHz / FSB 1066/ 2 MB shared L2 cache
* E4200: 1.60 GHz / FSB 800/ 2 MB shared L2 cache

Pricing of the new architecture will be in line with previous processor introductions. The E6700 model will cost $530 at launch, the E6600 will be priced at $316, the E6400 at $241 and the E6300 at $209, sources said.

Quote:

Conroes will post a thermal design power (TDP) of 65 watts

Quote:

The Extreme Edition of the Conroe processor will operate at 3.33GHz, sport 1333MHz processor system bus and 4MB cache.

Hmmm... Sounds like the stock Conroe is going to blow away X2 overclocked...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Hmmm... Sounds like the stock Conroe is going to blow away X2 overclocked...

Yes and i can't wait....4mb of l2 cache, im getting the E6700 BTW most likely or even the EE because prices will go down

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

My wallet is really going to be hurting... G71, Cyro-Z, and Conroe.... OUCH!

Oh please dont go for the G71, go for the G80 in a bit with Vista, DX10 man.....it will be awsome....just wait! haha

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
sure does look like a good chip. AMD might have to pull something out of there sleeve with the Socket M2 chips. The clash of the titans is upon us.

·
Registered
964 Posts
they talk about the new intels havin 20% more clock cycle than the amd athlon, but that is todays technology, so what is the new AMD goin to be like?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

sure does look like a good chip. AMD might have to pull something out of there sleeve with the Socket M2 chips. The clash of the titans is upon us.

Yea this will be AN AWSOME CPU WAR, i mean intels going to the clock speeds of AMD, but making it 20% more effecient....and at 2.66ghz and an EE at 3.33ghz!!! serious PWN, i sure hope amd pulls out with 65nm chips and higher clock speeds

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
If intel and amd go head to head for too long with the new chips and constantly churn out newer more advanced chips every other year, the CPU is gunna hit its wall with in a decade. Those Diamond\\Biological\\Magnetic Processors want to hurry up.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

If intel and amd go head to head for too long with the new chips and constantly churn out newer more advanced chips every other year, the CPU is gunna hit its wall with in a decade. Those Diamond\\Biological\\Magnetic Processors want to hurry up.

Thats what they said about 1Ghz....

This "clash" is great for the end user... Prices drop and technology is introduced at record speeds.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.