Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...212234350.html

Quote:

The family of Intel Conroe processors will initially consist of four models: E6700, E6600, E6400 and E6300 that will operate 2.67GHz, 2.40GHz, 2.13GHz and 1.86GHz, respectively. The E6700 and E6600 models will sport 4MB unified L2 cache, whereas the E6400 and E6300 will have 2MB unified level-two cache. Pricing of the parts is expected to be quite aggressive: $529, $315, $240 and $210, according to some sources. In the Q4 2006 the maker will also add the model E6800 that works at 2.93GHz and features 1066MHz bus along with 4MB cache.

The Extreme Edition of the Conroe processor will operate at 3.33GHz, sport 1333MHz processor system bus and 4MB cache. Thermal envelope of the part should be 95W.

3.33GHz! I cant wait for it! Its gonna be sweet!

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Yeah, especially considering that it supposedly does 12 ops/cycle, thats about 1.7x as fast (theoretically) as an FX60! With 4x the L2 cache! Wow......

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Even if you didnt have a clue as to the op/cylcle, Intel is not going to release a savoir processor that is not more powerful than the P4. So that means that they must be around 12 ops/cycle to compete with AMD and P4s...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I will be using this new processors for my new rig around x-mas, im sticking with intel....im liken their new processors ALOT....and their 65nm
while AMD is still at 90nm.... nice find

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
this is good
because its good for the balance of power to shift back and forth

AMDs are awesome but Intel is still very respectable
and these procesoors are gonna be aweosme

but Ive heard about cell processors in cevelopment
supposedy 4x faster the any intel or AMD now
something like that

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227

lol but they still use more power and create more heat than AMD's 90nm processors...

I'm not too sure about as they are 65nm CPU's to the best of my knowledge and operate at lower clocks than current P4's so should be cooler.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Simple, if the Conroe is as expected, it will blow away anything AMD has, they just can't produce something that good and sell it for $500. Intel can...

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by J3r3my

It would be nice to see the end of $1000+ CPUs.

Tell me about it.... My wallet is empty...

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Simple, if the Conroe is as expected, it will blow away anything AMD has, they just can't produce something that good and sell it for $500. Intel can...

Why cant they? CPU's are cheap to make once you get the architecture down for the smaller die size, they could sell any CPU for $100 if they wanted to.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

Why cant they? CPU's are cheap to make once you get the architecture down for the smaller die size, they could sell any CPU for $100 if they wanted to.

Because Intel sells a 90% of the processors on the market. The more you make, the cheaper you can make them. Intel is a larger company, so it can handle the small profit.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

this is good
because its good for the balance of power to shift back and forth
something like that

That's a good point pyro. When both companies are really head to head, back and forth, it keeps both competitive and innovative. It's the best thing for the market.

The CPU market really is gonna be exciting this year. AM2, Conroe, 65nm, Quad-core. It's great! Very very cool.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Quote:

That's a good point pyro. When both companies are really head to head, back and forth, it keeps both competitive and innovative. It's the best thing for the market.

Agreed.... AMD has gotten a lot of confidence over the past couple of years and it is reflected in the higher prices of their chips. Granted I'd still pay extra for their chips, but it'll be nice for Intel to take the lead, just for a little while, so that prices come down a bit... It's so hard to justify spending over 5 bills for a processor.....

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Maybe time to drop AMD if they do in fact have 12 ops/clock

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
[AMD Fanboy soapbox]Do not speak too soon about dropping AMD. AMD is soon to be launching 65nm process processors, as well as a new socket allowing the use of DDR2 (and shortly after DDR3). AMD plans on using 333 FSB (same as Conroe FSB) on their AM2 platform processors. No matter what happens, the market is getting more and more exciting, with Intel and AMD battling it out for cream of the crop processors./[AMD Fanboy soapbox]

The Conroe sounds like it will be the processor to redefine the market...and I'm looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts