Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was just reading up on some info about intels new chip Conroe when i came accross a part in an article that says that each core of the conroe runs about 1.25 to 1.5 times faster then a p4 pressy, wouldn't that bring the conroe to the same sort of speed as AMD cpus?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Mongoose

Hey guys i was just reading up on some info about intels new chip Conroe when i came accross a part in an article that says that each core of the conroe runs about 1.25 to 1.5 times faster then a p4 pressy, wouldn't that bring the conroe to the same sort of speed as AMD cpus?

It's too early to talk about performance until everything is finalized, but if everything goes right for Intel, they'll actually have the faster chips. It's been a long time since Intel held the lead, but they should have it back towards the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

It's too early to talk about performance until everything is finalized, but if everything goes right for Intel, they'll actually have the faster chips. It's been a long time since Intel held the lead, but they should have it back towards the end of the year.

If they get it right, but with the added help of some AMD tech they might just do it!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen

thats new age intel vs now age amd

New age Intel with AMD design aspects added

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
From what I have read, the Conroe will be only about 3Ghz, but it will have 10-12 ops per clock...

The best thing about Conroe is no net-burst!

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Yep, Conroe truly will be revolutionary for Intel, however if you think AMD will still be making the same Venice, San Diego, Manchester and Toledo core chips by the time Conroe is coming out, you are dead wrong. By then socket AM2 will be at full steam and all of AMDs new line of chips including their three new single core, dual core and server cores and who knows what those will be capable of, though I would bet that they will be architecturally very similar to current AMD chips with ~9 ops/cycle.

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

New age Intel with AMD design aspects added

But Intel gave AMD SSE3...so AMD is using Intel tech too

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
yeah well AMD gave intel 64 bit... when stuff is programmed for that it will be a big gain. I also really doubt that it will do 12 operations per cycle either

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex100

yeah well AMD gave intel 64 bit... when stuff is programmed for that it will be a big gain. I also really doubt that it will do 12 operations per cycle either

9-12...somewhere around there.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

Yep, Conroe truly will be revolutionary for Intel, however if you think AMD will still be making the same Venice, San Diego, Manchester and Toledo core chips by the time Conroe is coming out, you are dead wrong. By then socket AM2 will be at full steam and all of AMDs new line of chips including their three new single core, dual core and server cores and who knows what those will be capable of, though I would bet that they will be architecturally very similar to current AMD chips with ~9 ops/cycle.

Conroe aint that far away buddy. Release is June 1st, but Intel says it is going so well it could be as soon as late April.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

Really? I thought people were saying END of this year, like November/December time.

Original release was Oct, then June, now possbily April. Apparently the Conroe is going so well in testing they see no reason not to release it sooner. (Although it will murder the sales of the 9XX Pentium Ds).

The only thing Intel hasn't released is a price range. I think Conroe is suppose to entirely replace the Pentium 4 series... but IDK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts