Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a consensus best choice for the 5950X?

My H115i Pro AIO can't keep the temps below 80C with AVX prime at anything more than 1.0v under load. I figured a custom loop would do a much better job, but after a couple days reading, it looks like the EK blocks don't seem to handle Ryzen as well as Intel because of the chiplet placement.

Which block should I buy if money isn't a massive concern?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
Optimus AM4
Agreed. The Foundation outperforms the EK Magnitude for half the price, and is made from better materials with higher quality workmanship and finish.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Lol. There’s no clear winner. You got Optimus, Techn, EKWB Magnitude all within margin of errors. Heatkiller, Aquacomputer not big difference though there designs will be updated eventually.

Pick your own poison

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
Lol. There’s no clear winner.
If you are talking strictly performance, I agree. Once you factor in materials, build quality, finish and cost, there is most definitely a clear loser.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I use the Optimus on my 5900x and I am VERY pleased.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you are talking strictly performance, I agree. Once you factor in materials, build quality, finish and cost, there is most definitely a clear loser.
Totally. Though all of them are pretty high quality with just ekwb costing too much. Rest are pretty comparable.

The other factor is reusability too depending on new sockets for amd/intel so am5/lga1700.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m in the same boat. I have a 5950X and it’s hot! My AIO isn’t cutting it.

I’m looking at either the TechN or the Heatkiller IV Pro black copper. A friend suggested the heat killer because he said the TechN is better with a DDC pump, and I have a D5. So I’m kinda leaning that way. Can anyone with some experience let me know what they think. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

I’m looking at either the TechN or the Heatkiller IV Pro black copper. A friend suggested the heat killer because he said the TechN is better with a DDC pump, and I have a D5. So I’m kinda leaning that way. Can anyone with some experience let me know what they think. Thanks!
I've been looking into the Optimus and Heatkiller, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I wish there were more feedback on the EK Hero monoblock, with all the extra copper and the VRMs putting out way less heat than the CPU, that might be an option as well.

It's maddening that reviews of custom blocks never include AIOs for comparison.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh there is a block designed specifically for the dark hero? I’m also using the dark hero MB with my 5950X. Wonder if it’s any good?

From what I’ve seen online people seem to say the TechN is the current leader by a slight amount. But then again according to my friend he said that the TechN would work optimally with a DDC pump. And he strongly advised I go with a heatkiller IV pro instead being that I have a D5 pump res.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh there is a block designed specifically for the dark hero? I’m also using the dark hero MB with my 5950X. Wonder if it’s any good?

From what I’ve seen online people seem to say the TechN is the current leader by a slight amount. But then again according to my friend he said that the TechN would work optimally with a DDC pump. And he strongly advised I go with a heatkiller IV pro instead being that I have a D5 pump res.
EK-Quantum Momentum ROG Crosshair VIII Hero D-RGB

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
It's maddening that reviews of custom blocks never include AIOs for comparison.
How could they? The goal of a block review is to compare the performance/restriction/quality of like blocks. How would one compare a block to an AiO? They are not the same thing and the amount of variables would be ridiculous.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How could they? The goal of a block review is to compare the performance/restriction/quality of like blocks. How would one compare a block to an AiO? They are not the same thing and the amount of variables would be ridiculous.
Because a good chunk of potential new customers will be coming from AIOs. If they were to see a review where a specific custom loop was 15C better than an AIO comparable to what they have that might push them to going custom.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
Because a good chunk of potential new customers will be coming from AIOs. If they were to see a review where a specific custom loop was 15C better than an AIO comparable to what they have that might push them to going custom.
You're not seeing the problem. How do you compare a block to a loop? You can compare blocks within the same loop, but not a block to a loop. This is why custom component testing is significantly different than self contained cooler testing. I mean, if it makes you feel better, sure, compare a loop with a couple of MORA3s and a D5 to 280mm CLC, but you are comparing totally different animals. There are tests out there that have results of CLCs vs. basic loop in a box kits.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're not seeing the problem. How do you compare a block to a loop? You can compare blocks within the same loop, but not a block to a loop. This is why custom component testing is significantly different than self contained cooler testing. I mean, if it makes you feel better, sure, compare a loop with a couple of MORA3s and a D5 to 280mm CLC, but you are comparing totally different animals. There are tests out there that have results of CLCs vs. basic loop in a box kits.
I do understand what you're saying. The issue is there's zero comparison available for people with no experience. Not even something to ballpark.

All the review has to say is here's how these blocks do in this setup compared to this top AIO. They used to compare to air coolers back in the day to show how much better water could be, this would be the same idea.

I built my first loop in 2004 after seeing a review showing a Swiftech kit doing 20C better than an SLK-900 with a Delta fan.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,592 Posts
I do understand what you're saying. The issue is there's zero comparison available for people with no experience. Not even something to ballpark.
The point of the review is the relative performance of various blocks. Since a reader's delta from an AIO using the same block is very unlikely to be the same in their not-the-same custom loop this data point ends up being misleading or wrong, it is a random extra data point on a chart comparing blocks within the same loop that does not really mean anything in context.

I get that there is another question one might ask when looking at the review, but it is better to only present data that is meaningful and relevant to the question being addressed.

It is like putting an orange on a chart comparing the flavor profiles of different apple varieties. Someone might want to know how sweet oranges are compared to apples while reading the chart, but that does not mean all charts comparing apple varieties should include an example orange. :p

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

The best review to read is the Techn review based on flow restriction. Since you have an d5 setup already, the Techn/Optimus/Heatkilller will all perform well.

The other question is what your planned cooling setup as that effect your cooling. I run an optimus am4 foundation with Mo-Ra3 420 and one HWL GTR360 and even then I can only get it cool down to 70 degree at 4.6GHz all core with ambient room temperature.

That and I am really curious how you are going to ahold of one of these blocks. Shipping in and out of Hong Kong is ultra expensive atm. Even for someone like me, who has an actual Hong Kong mailing address and close contacts there still, its not really an option for shipping in/out. It's almost case of holding out till me and my family number gets called up for vaccination here and then we go back at end of year to bring stuff from Canada and then bring back stuff in Hong Kong back to Canada. I even considered going back for an earlier vaccination but everything pointed it to just waiting it out here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The best review to read is the Techn review based on flow restriction. Since you have an d5 setup already, the Techn/Optimus/Heatkilller will all perform well.

The other question is what your planned cooling setup as that effect your cooling. I run an optimus am4 foundation with Mo-Ra3 420 and one HWL GTR360 and even then I can only get it cool down to 70 degree at 4.6GHz all core with ambient room temperature.

That and I am really curious how you are going to ahold of one of these blocks. Shipping in and out of Hong Kong is ultra expensive atm. Even for someone like me, who has an actual Hong Kong mailing address and close contacts there still, its not really an option for shipping in/out. It's almost case of holding out till me and my family number gets called up for vaccination here and then we go back at end of year to bring stuff from Canada and then bring back stuff in Hong Kong back to Canada. I even considered going back for an earlier vaccination but everything pointed it to just waiting it out here.
Hey thanks for the reply. So you are saying I could run the TechN with no issues using my EK D5 pump / res combo?

currently my set up is:

3 x 360mm EK SE rads (I know they are thin, but it’s the only way I could fit 3 into my LianLi 011D). I’m using an EK velocity Strix WB for my Asus Rog Strix 3090. It works well and my gpu stays at about 45-48C with heavy gaming.

as for pump and ras mentioned I’m using then EK quantum kinetic pump / res combo.

my tubes have a lot of crazy angles and bends. But overall water temps stay between 39-40C with heavy gaming.

The only issue is my CPU (5950X) which sees sudden temp spikes up to 92C when gaming. It’s not a constant temp of 92c but more of a 1 second spike and then in drops back down to 70-75c. And the average temps after 1-2 hours of gaming are always in the mid 70s. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing these spikes and how to keep the CPU cool (At least under 90C and I’d be happy.) I’m also using an EK block at the moment to cool my CPU

Regarding shipping to Hong Kong I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I already have a heatkiller and a TechN in hand. I ordered the TechN directly from the TechN website and the heatkiller from watercool. They both shipped DHL from Germany and got them both in about a week.

Here is a pic of my rig for reference :

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just got my TechN block yesterday and it is cooling my 5900X about 6C lower than my Corsair block did. Which is nice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts