Overclock.net banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got my TechN block yesterday and it is cooling my 5900X about 6C lower than my Corsair block did. Which is nice.
That’s amazing! What pump / res are you using if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply. So you are saying I could run the TechN with no issues using my EK D5 pump / res combo?

currently my set up is:

3 x 360mm EK SE rads (I know they are thin, but it’s the only way I could fit 3 into my LianLi 011D). I’m using an EK velocity Strix WB for my Asus Rog Strix 3090. It works well and my gpu stays at about 45-48C with heavy gaming.

as for pump and ras mentioned I’m using then EK quantum kinetic pump / res combo.

my tubes have a lot of crazy angles and bends. But overall water temps stay between 39-40C with heavy gaming.

The only issue is my CPU (5950X) which sees sudden temp spikes up to 92C when gaming. It’s not a constant temp of 92c but more of a 1 second spike and then in drops back down to 70-75c. And the average temps after 1-2 hours of gaming are always in the mid 70s. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing these spikes and how to keep the CPU cool (At least under 90C and I’d be happy.) I’m also using an EK block at the moment to cool my CPU

Regarding shipping to Hong Kong I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I already have a heatkiller and a TechN in hand. I ordered the TechN directly from the TechN website and the heatkiller from watercool. They both shipped DHL from Germany and got them both in about a week.

Here is a pic of my rig for reference :
View attachment 2483121
Nice rig. Much better than those in the computer malls. Yeah, there won’t be major difference between Techn and Heatkiller for your setup. The difference is at most 2degrees more for the heatkiller.

The only other way to further reduce temps is to bring your waterloop temperature to ambient. In the summer here, i was 39-40degrees water with internal radiators only and then my d5 next would beep nonstop. So i ended up getting an Mo-ra3 which effectively kept the waterloop at ambient room. That or you have the aircon whenever your doing heavy work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice rig. Much better than those in the computer malls. Yeah, there won’t be major difference between Techn and Heatkiller for your setup. The difference is at most 2degrees more for the heatkiller.

The only other way to further reduce temps is to bring your waterloop temperature to ambient. In the summer here, i was 39-40degrees water with internal radiators only and then my d5 next would beep nonstop. So i ended up getting an Mo-ra3 which effectively kept the waterloop at ambient room. That or you have the aircon whenever your doing heavy work.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I currently have both blocks in hand. However a very reliable source (he’s a bit of a known figure / reviewer so I don’t want to mention his name) highly suggested I use the heat killer with my rigs set up. So I guess that’s the way I’m gonna go.

Yeah as I’m sure you know Hong Kong gets incredibly hot and humid, and summer is right around the corner. That’s why I’m looking to beef up my rig, and also to hopefully help fix my CPU heat issues.

move heard about the mo-ra3 but there is no way it would fit into my Lianli o11D.I heard it can also be used externally? How exactly does that work? Do you think it would be something worth investing in for my scenario?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I also think another avenue is to replace the se rads with hwl gts rads or corsair/bitspower oem ones or xpsc tx rads, the ekwb se ones are notorious for being underperforming slim rads. Maybe even look at heatkiller upcoming new internal rads at 30mm.

In Canada, an 400 euro order is free international shipping if directly bought from heatkiller.

Ryzen 5000 does run hot about 10-15degrees more than 3000 Series. Also very voltage sensitive. I’m still working out kinks on pbo and dynamic oc.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
I also think another avenue is to replace the se rads with hwl gts rads or corsair/bitspower oem ones or xpsc tx rads, the ekwb se ones are notorious for being underperforming slim rads. Maybe even look at heatkiller upcoming new internal rads at 30mm.

In Canada, an 400 euro order is free international shipping if directly bought from heatkiller.

Ryzen 5000 does run hot about 10-15degrees more than 3000 Series. Also very voltage sensitive. I’m still working out kinks on pbo and dynamic oc.
Agreed. You could replace the SE rads with literally any name brand rad and expect better performance. They are the worst performing rads on the market, and not by a small margin.

And, I'm curious....you mention the new Heatkiller rads a lot. Has there been any type of performance results posted anywhere? I love Watercool products, but their rads have always left something to be desired ( not as bad as SE, though). I'm just hearing hype for these rads, and can't find a single fact about them, just a lot of supposition.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Agreed. You could replace the SE rads with literally any name brand rad and expect better performance. They are the worst performing rads on the market, and not by a small margin.

And, I'm curious....you mention the new Heatkiller rads a lot. Has there been any type of performance results posted anywhere? I love Watercool products, but their rads have always left something to be desired ( not as bad as SE, though). I'm just hearing hype for these rads, and can't find a single fact about them, just a lot of supposition.
Like everyone else going blind into them. Don’t expect anything groundbreaking.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

The last components i need are two 360mm rads (i sold off all my excess rads last summer) so i’m at point i should i am going to get them no matter what. That and i have an mo-ra 420 so any performance lost is not significant.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am using the Corsair XD5 pump still. I have a bunch of Corsair stuff so I used them for my water cooling start so I am keeping the pump for now as it flows fine for my application.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I am using the Corsair XD5 pump still. I have a bunch of Corsair stuff so I used them for my water cooling start so I am keeping the pump for now as it flows fine for my application.
Res/Pump are all the same imo. Even the clone d5 by alphacool is good now. Just what you like for your build. The only exception being the aquacomputer d5 next, which itself is i don’t know. Its better to invest the money that would go to d5 next on aqua next flow meter imo.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Res/Pump are all the same imo. Even the clone d5 by alphacool is good now. Just what you like for your build. The only exception being the aquacomputer d5 next, which itself is i don’t know. Its better to invest the money that would go to d5 next on aqua next flow meter imo.
Sadly not true with the Corsair, they somehow cut the flow of the pump almost in half compared to all other D5 pumps out there, it is 800L/h instead of 1500L/h. But it flows fine for my build so far, I have a 360 and 120 rad in the loop. cooling just the CPU.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is there a consensus best choice for the 5950X?

My H115i Pro AIO can't keep the temps below 80C with AVX prime at anything more than 1.0v under load. I figured a custom loop would do a much better job, but after a couple days reading, it looks like the EK blocks don't seem to handle Ryzen as well as Intel because of the chiplet placement.

Which block should I buy if money isn't a massive concern?
I only have a paltry 5900X but I went with Noctua D15, and run everything full tilt and no overheating problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I only have a paltry 5900X but I went with Noctua D15, and run everything full tilt and no overheating problem.
What are your Prime95 AVX2 clocks and temps?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply. So you are saying I could run the TechN with no issues using my EK D5 pump / res combo?

currently my set up is:

3 x 360mm EK SE rads (I know they are thin, but it’s the only way I could fit 3 into my LianLi 011D). I’m using an EK velocity Strix WB for my Asus Rog Strix 3090. It works well and my gpu stays at about 45-48C with heavy gaming.

as for pump and ras mentioned I’m using then EK quantum kinetic pump / res combo.

my tubes have a lot of crazy angles and bends. But overall water temps stay between 39-40C with heavy gaming.

The only issue is my CPU (5950X) which sees sudden temp spikes up to 92C when gaming. It’s not a constant temp of 92c but more of a 1 second spike and then in drops back down to 70-75c. And the average temps after 1-2 hours of gaming are always in the mid 70s. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing these spikes and how to keep the CPU cool (At least under 90C and I’d be happy.) I’m also using an EK block at the moment to cool my CPU

Regarding shipping to Hong Kong I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I already have a heatkiller and a TechN in hand. I ordered the TechN directly from the TechN website and the heatkiller from watercool. They both shipped DHL from Germany and got them both in about a week.

Here is a pic of my rig for reference :
View attachment 2483121
Question: did you have any issues fitting your GPU horizontally inside the case? I have the same GPU, mobo and case. My Bykski block is only about 4mm wider than your EK Quantum block, but it stuck out about 6-7m too far for the side window to close. How close is your block coming to the edge of the case? Or are you running it without the side panel on?

Also, your temp spikes are interesting. FWIW, my Optimus block never push my 5950X above 74C ever -- gaming several hours or stress testing. Most of the time it's between 45C-60C depending on what I'm doing.

May be worth considering a swap if you can figure out an RGB solution that won't have you missing your current block. Otherwise good luck with the TechN and Heatkiller.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You will need to do a static overclock if you want colder temps.. Ryzen 5th series are a pita to cool on pbo. Im using -30 curve all cores in top of that im using adaptive offset negative and it still heats up pretty good on pbo.. Static vs pbo is almost a 20c difference. Thats with a koolance 380 which is one of my best blocks & a mora3 all for itself.. My 7980xe runs better than my 5900x on that same setup. 200-230w vs 300-500w of the 7980xe. The 7980xe is better cooled lol.. The density is real xD...

5900x on static 48/47x around 150-170w

·
Registered
72 Posts
TechN and Optimus give you the lowest temperature, followed by Heatkiller and Aquacomputer, then the EK block. Except for the overpriced/underperformed EK, you would be fine with the other 4 since the Delta between TechN, Optimus and HeatKiller/Aquacomputer is about 1C. Just grab whatever you can find since they are pretty much out of stock at the moment.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts