1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is this:

CPU : 5800X
Motherboard : MSI x570 Tomahawk WIFI

I'm currently running these sticks :

Office equipment Input device Font Automotive design Gadget

I'm a complete memory tuning / OC n00b. So I have only done some very basic tuning. Did a couple of benchmarks to see the effect of either overclocking them ( got them stable at 4266 ) or going with 1:1:1 mclk/fclk/uclk and tighter timings. So far seems like 3866 is possible with tighter timings ( I can't boot at 3800 since I apparently suffer from the 1900 MHz fclk "hole" ) . Above 1933 fclk I get massive amounts of WHEA errors.

Not going much beyond the dram calculator + trial and error for now. I managed to get this stable :

Font Technology Screenshot Electric blue Parallel
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

I've considered upgrading to 32 GB for a while, but apparently my motherboard can't handle 4000 MHz consisting of 2 x16 GB sticks with low latency so I'd be stuck with these:

Office equipment Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Font Cassette deck

It would be a cheap upgrade since they don't cost much more than the ones I have now. But that timing seems ridiculously bad ? Is it even B-die ? Price is 250 USD .

Alternatively I could go for these, but they are very expensive ( almost 450 USD) :
Font Logo Magenta Electric blue Brand

I don't mind if I can't get better performance than now, but I sure would like it to be at least on par.

I assume that 3800 kit could do better than my current kit pretty easily ? But that 18-22 kit ?

Some suggestions would be welcome :) I have 25+ years of experience with overclocking, but when it comes to memory overclock and tuning I've only just begun 馃槃

Attachments

Premium Member
If you are going to spend the @ may as well get the top bin the 4000c14. Is worth it? Depends, I do it for fun/hobby. Can I tell a difference outside of benchmarks no.

Edit the 4000c18-22 are not b die as far as I know or a really low bin.

If you just want to play around for less $$ get the 3200c14-14-14 kits they OC well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look at that one as well. But it's not supported for my motherboard

Brown Sky Grey Font Rectangle

Would I still be able to run it ? My experience so far has cost me a lot of frustration when experimenting with memory setups.

OK, yeah I assumed that 18-22 could potentially not be B-die or some very low bin.

My current kit was not very expensive ,but must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by it so far 馃槃

Premium Member
I did look at that one as well. But it's not supported for my motherboard

View attachment 2524899

Would I still be able to run it ? My experience so far has cost me a lot of frustration when experimenting with memory setups.

OK, yeah I assumed that 18-22 could potentially not be B-die or some very low bin.

My current kit was not very expensive ,but must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by it so far 馃槃
You would have to down clock the 4000c14 kit like you have done on your current kit. Maybe something like 3800-3866c14-14-14.

I run intel so the AMD guys will be able to tell you more.

Premium Member
That support list and QVL is if you want plug and play. If you are manually setting timings and voltage it doesn't matter. Here is an example of how it is marketing bs. Look at the 4000c14 NEO kit, no AMD MB is supported :p

"Engineered and optimized for full compatibility on the latest AMD Ryzen platforms, Trident Z Neo brings unparalleled memory performance and vibrant RGB lighting to any gaming PC or workstation with latest AMD Ryzen CPUs and AMD DDR4 motherboards."

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are going to spend the @ may as well get the top bin the 4000c14. Is worth it? Depends, I do it for fun/hobby. Can I tell a difference outside of benchmarks no.

Edit the 4000c18-22 are not b die as far as I know or a really low bin.

If you just want to play around for less $$ get the 3200c14-14-14 kits they OC well.

That 4000 c14 kit is nice, but starting to get a bit too expensive 馃槃 It's 600 USD here.

If I can run these perhaps, they're "only" 400 USD and I'd be willing to spend that much:

Font Automotive design Darkness Brand Flash photography

Timing is slightly better than my current kit, so I'd assume they could do a little bit better timing if running at 3866 ?

3733 might be required I'm getting some random WHEA errors now after running for some hours. Will do more testing. Did not notice much difference between 1866 fclk and 1933 fclk,so not a big issue if I have to downclock a bit :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That support list and QVL is if you want plug and play. If you are manually setting timings and voltage it doesn't matter. Here is an example of how it is marketing bs. Look at the 4000c14 NEO kit, no AMD MB is supported :p

"Engineered and optimized for full compatibility on the latest AMD Ryzen platforms, Trident Z Neo brings unparalleled memory performance and vibrant RGB lighting to any gaming PC or workstation with latest AMD Ryzen CPUs and AMD DDR4 motherboards."

LOL, good point man. I didn't even notice it actually said optimized for Ryzen. And not a single Ryzen motherboard on the list .. OMG :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
That 4000 c14 kit is nice, but starting to get a bit too expensive 馃槃 It's 600 USD here.

If I can run these perhaps, they're "only" 400 USD and I'd be willing to spend that much:

View attachment 2524903

Timing is slightly better than my current kit, so I'd assume they could do a little bit better timing if running at 3866 ?

3733 might be required I'm getting some random WHEA errors now after running for some hours. Will do more testing. Did not notice much difference between 1866 fclk and 1933 fclk,so not a big issue if I have to downclock a bit :cool:

Yeah those are good too. I had a kit of them and they could clock higher on Intel [email protected] or tighten up in lower clocks [email protected]

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah those are good too. I had a kit of them and they could clock higher on Intel [email protected] or tighten up in lower clocks [email protected]
Sweet. I'm going to give them a go. No matter what I should be able to at least match what I have now, and then I'd be prepared in case AMD ever gets fclk 2000 working across more CPUs. For now my CPU is a dud and stuck at max 1933 maybe lower.

Registered
My setup is this:

CPU : 5800X
Motherboard : MSI x570 Tomahawk WIFI

I'm currently running these sticks :

View attachment 2524890

I'm a complete memory tuning / OC n00b. So I have only done some very basic tuning. Did a couple of benchmarks to see the effect of either overclocking them ( got them stable at 4266 ) or going with 1:1:1 mclk/fclk/uclk and tighter timings. So far seems like 3866 is possible with tighter timings ( I can't boot at 3800 since I apparently suffer from the 1900 MHz fclk "hole" ) . Above 1933 fclk I get massive amounts of WHEA errors.

Not going much beyond the dram calculator + trial and error for now. I managed to get this stable :

View attachment 2524892 View attachment 2524893

I've considered upgrading to 32 GB for a while, but apparently my motherboard can't handle 4000 MHz consisting of 2 x16 GB sticks with low latency so I'd be stuck with these:

View attachment 2524895

It would be a cheap upgrade since they don't cost much more than the ones I have now. But that timing seems ridiculously bad ? Is it even B-die ? Price is 250 USD .

Alternatively I could go for these, but they are very expensive ( almost 450 USD) :
View attachment 2524897

I don't mind if I can't get better performance than now, but I sure would like it to be at least on par.

I assume that 3800 kit could do better than my current kit pretty easily ? But that 18-22 kit ?

Some suggestions would be welcome :) I have 25+ years of experience with overclocking, but when it comes to memory overclock and tuning I've only just begun 馃槃
have some in red if you want it lol. No it's good ram for the price I used it till I upgraded to a 32GB set. It is very flexible as well

Registered

It is the top spec for AMD, but BIOS can not natively support it yet (necessary for QVL standards). But as you mentioned, with some BIOS adjustment one may be able to force stability with capable hardware. You will not find any AMD issues with Trident Z NEOs, but you can find AMD issues with others. Of course certain specifications and compatibility can overlap, for both AMD and Intel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is the top spec for AMD, but BIOS can not natively support it yet (necessary for QVL standards). But as you mentioned, with some BIOS adjustment one may be able to force stability with capable hardware. You will not find any AMD issues with Trident Z NEOs, but you can find AMD issues with others. Of course certain specifications and compatibility can overlap, for both AMD and Intel.
Would it be better to order this kit instead ?

F4-4000C16D-32GTZNA

Font Magenta Event Electric blue Brand

Timings are the same. And I will be running it below those speeds as I have discovered my fclk is not necessarily stable at 1933 .Either way 1933 will be the absolute max.

Price of the 2 kits are similar, but I prefer the Ripjaws design so only reason I picked those

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, much appreciated that Gskill actively participates in this forum ! One more reason for me to stick with them as my RAM producer of choice :cool:

Registered
RipJaws kit will be fine; because specifications are identical, there is no difference other heat spreader design, and if you like RipJaws more then F4-4000C16D-32GVKA is the perfect fit.

Registered
Also, much appreciated that Gskill actively participates in this forum ! One more reason for me to stick with them as my RAM producer of choice :cool:
personally id get the c14 kit. Thats the top bin they should do 14-14-14-30 at 3800 1.5. The cl16 kit probably wont.

Robotic Chemist
Would it be better to order this kit instead ?

F4-4000C16D-32GTZNA
I had that exact kit but I replaced it with F4-3600C14-16GVKA (3600-14-14-14-34 @ 1.45V) and they were noticeably better. I highly recommend this kit for Zen2 or 3 CPUs. Nothing wrong with Ripjaws V for AMD systems. :)
Font Screenshot Technology Software Number
Font Screenshot Technology Electric blue Darkness
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Technology

Edit:
Thaiphoon/DRAM Calculator also thinks the 3600C14 is faster than the 4000C16 kit:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

Registered
viper 4400cl19 4x8Gb will work too for 3800cl14
and are very cheap

Really? My 2x8 Patriot 4400c19 kit can do 3866c14 stable but not higher than that. I鈥檇 be shocked if 4 of them could boot at 3800c14.

Registered
Really? My 2x8 Patriot 4400c19 kit can do 3866c14 stable but not higher than that. I鈥檇 be shocked if 4 of them could boot at 3800c14.
depends of the board, x570 aorus master has qvl for 4x8Gb bdie 3866+

most newer daisy chain boards from Amd will work too

1 - 20 of 43 Posts