Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend who has an Alienware 14 and he wants to use it for streaming his Xbox gaming... it struggled to stream at even 480p.... shouldn't it be able to stream at least 720p??

Is PC gaming at 1080p more or less intensive than game streaming?

Specs:
i7 4710mq
8GB DDR3
GT 750M

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
This will be a networking issue. Not enough bandwidth to stream the game properly. I've tried streaming from an Xbox One to my PC and it struggled to stream at more than 480p unless the Xbox was in the same room as my router which IMO defeats the purpose of it. My desktop is right next to my router as it's not wireless. I might as well just connect the Xbox to my monitor :p

in da freezing hell
As said above, the only limitation is bandwidth between the streamer and the receiver.

I stream at 1080 from time to time with this setup:
- Streamer cabled to the household LAN at 100 mbps
- Macbook at wifi 5GHz N + DFS

In order for it to work well, I need around 50 mbps wireless *stable and sustained* throughput. Any glitch in throughput/latency will show up immediately in your game, particularly if FPS.

Premium Member
I'm confused how your only getting 480p on a LAN? Any modern router should easily be able to handle this sort of streaming. Look at Geforce Now or Moonlight both of these can stream over wireless just fine up to 1080p just fine. No WAN is needed for any of this, the only thing would be online play which hardly uses anything but small packets of UDP (most games).

I would look more at the video card and what setting he is using and what games he is playing. I think the minimum for Geforce Now (I realize he is doing xbox to pc) is a 700 series card.

Super Moderator
I'm confused how your only getting 480p on a LAN? Any modern router should easily be able to handle this sort of streaming. Look at Geforce Now or Moonlight both of these can stream over wireless just fine up to 1080p just fine. No WAN is needed for any of this, the only thing would be online play which hardly uses anything but small packets of UDP (most games).

I would look more at the video card and what setting he is using and what games he is playing. I think the minimum for Geforce Now (I realize he is doing xbox to pc) is a 700 series card.
What hardware you're using on the PC is irrelevant to a point. You could be using an HD4000 on a $300 laptop (I have) and the results will be the same compared to if you had a GTX 1080Ti and i9. The WiFi on the Xbox One is pretty terrible. If you want a good stream, you pretty much have to have it connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts