Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh No, Unforuntely, PC gaming is dead come out from mouth of all game industries....... Yes, They believe that the consoles rising from the ashes.

Quote:


Company frontman John Carmack shocked everyone when he recently provided this quote: "We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games. That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version."


Quote:


This comes after the PC version of id's most recent game, Rage, sparked controversy among hardcore gamers. They complained of poor frame rates and sloppy rendering on their high-end PCs, while people playing the console version of the same game had no such reaction.


Quote:


........Carmack explained, "We knew that all older AMD drivers, and some Nvidia drivers would have problems with the game.......


Quote:


Of course, the highest-end gaming PCs are much more powerful machines than Xbox 360s or PS3s. However, the market of highest-end PCs is an exceedinly niche one, leaving game makers to serve the common denominator of game consoles.

This is a fact that most publishers had already accepted, but with id finally relinquishing to that reality as well, it may be the beginning of a final nail in the coffin.

Source
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,044 Posts
John Carmack's = I love contradicting myself every week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by macca_dj
View Post

They only need to check over with futuremark to get an idea of the statistics of common hardware platforms,

the bulk of pc's ? in todays market ? dual core 3ghz ish cpus with amd4000series IGP.

I'd say thats a rough approximation.
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,414 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DoomDash
View Post

John Carmack tells it how it is.

Says the guy with a 580.
jkjk

Rage poorly coded for PCs =/= Consoles are better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
IDK why you guys are so upset about him saying consoles are the larger audience. How many of your friends have ridiculous computers vs how many have consoles? The average consumer isn't going to spend 2-3x the amount on superior hardware when they can spend $300 on a junk console. It's the same reason cheap liquor exists.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
Lol, well they've lost all my respect.

"We ported RAGE badly, so PC sucks. Consoles rulez, hell yah."

Leave the PC platform to better devs, such as Frictional Games, Valve, etc. The PC Platform doesn't need this rubbish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Well, you can't argue there are more PC gamers than console unfortunately. From a business perspective the price of making a superior/widely compatible version of an identical product for a smaller profit just isn't good for any business. Which is why "we" will always be the minority. At least possibly until "professional" gamers only use PC and realize being an enthusiast console gamer is kind of like winning the Special Olympics... only worth a slow clap...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
I didn't know id was still relevant in the PC market...

but then, I've been out for a while.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,644 Posts
At this point I really don't think its unreasonable to expect anyone with a high end gaming PC to also own a 360 or PS3. I know I do and I buy games for all platforms, but I like PC more overall. Furthermore, if you can afford a 360, ps3 as well as a gaming PC then it goes without saying that you probably have more spending power and will buy more games.

I probably would have bought rage eventually but not in the state it is in right now. ID has nothing to cry about, they released a BETA not a game on PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by piskooooo
View Post

IDK why you guys are so upset about him saying consoles are the larger audience. How many of your friends have ridiculous computers vs how many have consoles? The average consumer isn't going to spend 2-3x the amount on superior hardware when they can spend $300 on a junk console. It's the same reason cheap liquor exists.

i see your point however it is floored! bye a descent PC and it will last longer than a console. my last PC before this one kept up with consoles from Ps1 to the 360! thats 3 generations. go spend £300 a time on your consoles lol for all i care that comes to £900 relatively speaking, from lets say £600 if not less i can build a PC that easily runs the latest games and will be able to for quite a distance into the future!

(the fact that my current PC cost a lot more than £600 is besides the point
lol. my last pc cost £650 and lasted 3 genrations)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,238 Posts
Then there is the fact that we live in a digital world. How many 360/PS3 owners also own a computer even thou they don't game on it? If they just got a gaming PC to star wit they would not need a console. Of course its a mater of taste some perfer to game on consoles.
 

·
Linux > All
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskooooo;15263966
IDK why you guys are so upset about him saying consoles are the larger audience. How many of your friends have ridiculous computers vs how many have consoles? The average consumer isn't going to spend 2-3x the amount on superior hardware when they can spend $300 on a junk console. It's the same reason cheap liquor exists.
This
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskooooo;15263966
IDK why you guys are so upset about him saying consoles are the larger audience. How many of your friends have ridiculous computers vs how many have consoles? The average consumer isn't going to spend 2-3x the amount on superior hardware when they can spend $300 on a junk console. It's the same reason cheap liquor exists.
http://i.imgur.com/qVwuD.png Entry level gaming PC that'll play games at native 1920 x 1080.

http://i.imgur.com/UFM9p.png Best of the xbox 360 with a 40" 1080p TV. It won't play games at 60fps or a native res. of 1920 x 1080.

I've convinced at least 6 of my friends to convert to PC gaming mostly.

"Consoles are so cheap for the price and quality!" - consolekiddies

Picking up a console just to play it, though? They're great for people who do light-medium amounts of gaming.
 

·
PC Gamer
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
John Carmack is an idiot Rage fails hard so instead of blaming his poor programming he starts to blame everything else.
 

·
Meow!
Joined
·
8,489 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GAMERIG
View Post

Oh No, Unforuntely, PC gaming is dead come out from mouth of all game industries....... Yes, They believe that the consoles rising from the ashes.

Source


Stupid excuse to help console market? Because they have share stock in them they don't want to lose. MS, Sony are forking money to the medias just to bull to other game companies?

Of course there will be driver issues, how many variant system we have in the world. Think about it.

Console players are majorly held by kids from 10-16 years. PC Gamers are likely to be more mature up from 17+ average and older. Because those can only afford gaming system are those who have money or have a job. Kids don't, all their parent buys them console for Christmas and games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
If it weren't for popular games such as gears of war, final fantasy, and modern warfare games, consoles would be dead.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top