Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm just about to order a whole buncha parts for this one pc that keeps pissing me off. It keeps getting the windows files corrupt or windows stops booting randomly and other times will boot. What is this caused by? I installed windows on a partition taking all the space on the drive, Which was a "nts something" partition, I forgot which kind but it was definitely NOT a fat32. And yeah, It keeps crapping out. The harddrive is very loud, But S.M.A.R.T. shows it as being in perfect condition. I got no idea, I installed the programs and ran a defrag and gave it back to the guy. After a couple weeks it's bad again, He reports either no bootup, Or really slow bootup. The slow bootup happens more right after the comp crashes. Ok, Now *** is happening? Could this be attributed JUST to the ram and harddrive? The mobo is the stock ibm one i believe *on boot up it says IBM* and the proc. is a 1.7 ghz willamette. I was about ready to completely redo it, But if it's simply just something wrong in the way I'm installing the OS that's causing crashes? It's not overheating, It basically runs at room temperature, And all other components are at or slightly above room temperature. Around 20-24 Degrees C*. Not a PSU either. Yeah... What can I do? Just a faulty harddrive/How I'm installing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
My guess is the partition you are installing to is corrupt somehow. Since you are using pretty much the whole partition for windows, you are guarenteeing that data, probably important OS data, is being written to a bad section of the drive. your best bet before replacing anything else is to get a spare hard drive and seeing if you have the same trouble. Or even try to install windows to a different partition on the same drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Llama

My guess is the partition you are installing to is corrupt somehow. Since you are using pretty much the whole partition for windows, you are guarenteeing that data, probably important OS data, is being written to a bad section of the drive. your best bet before replacing anything else is to get a spare hard drive and seeing if you have the same trouble. Or even try to install windows to a different partition on the same drive.

Ok,So basically make one small 2-3 gig partition just for windows, What about the rest of the space?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
I would do more of a 15 gig partition. 20 is usually better. I was just saying a different partition or hard drive to test and see if our theory is correct about the drive being corrupt.
But to answer your question, you can have a small partition to just handel the OS and installed programs, and theen use the rest of the space to store whateve you need to store. Everything I download goes to one of like 8 partitions across 2 different drives, but nothing goes to the one the OS is on. this helps prevent fragmentation and it also has the merit of if I have to format, all of my important files are on another partition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info, Seems I may just end up getting a new drive, sale sale sale!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r3tard

Thanks for all the info, Seems I may just end up getting a new drive, sale sale sale!


It's never bad to get more space, but definately try a spare drive if you can. This way you know for sure and don't replace the drive only to find that you have the same problem because of some other hardware malfunction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Solid advice Llama


Other places that can cause this are RAM and your controller (IDE, etc.)
Weird heat problems. Your proc (I had a bent pin once that would only crash me if I stayed at 51c temperature for more than 2 minutes.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
1. Either your OCing is running the the PCI out of standard and causing corruption or..
2. Your pwer supply is the cause because HDs do act up when under powered or
3. The HD is bad... did you get DLG from WD and test it!
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: r3tard

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One day and $137 later, Still same problem. This time windows got installed then after I rebooted same thing. Swapped parts and everything, Its the whole comp. After installing windows on a brand new harddrive and rebooting it says something about sectors being changed, and then it'd just die. Nothing installed on the computer would respond such as the mouse and keyboard. I could spend time figuring it out, Or i could just throw money at it. Finally, I've cracked, I'm throwing money at this damn thing. Tomorrow I'm getting this

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=ASRock.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

Ugh, Worst encounter with computers I have EVER had.
I love my baby * hugs computer*

Oh yeah, Should the proc. Be sufficient and more powerful than some first gen p4? Ugh, I swear, It's nothing but problems with windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
I highly doubt this is a Windows issue. Driver, sub-system, pick...

Something got torched.
Hell, before you buy that, download and install some *ux distros.. You got nothing but time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by satansmurf

I highly doubt this is a Windows issue. Driver, sub-system, pick...

Something got torched.
Hell, before you buy that, download and install some *ux distros.. You got nothing but time


Nah thing is the guy I'm doing this for needs it back ASAP.. I've run every diagnostic tool I could. Oh yeah, The old harddrive? May it rest in peace. I set it up as a slave and the new 160 gig has a master and I got the good ol click of death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
You got north and southbridge to wrry about, RAM..

Nice thing that a clean *ux distro can solve.. Can it boot to *something*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I had similar problems just like that and it was windows that was causing the corruption because the cds were scratched a certains files were not copied properly... i got a copy from a a friend and i have never had a problem again. Thats after i swapped parts with my second rig to test every single hardware part only to realize it was a software issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wrbsti

I had similar problems just like that and it was windows that was causing the corruption because the cds were scratched a certains files were not copied properly... i got a copy from a a friend and i have never had a problem again. Thats after i swapped parts with my second rig to test every single hardware part only to realize it was a software issue.

Great point. I'd definately give this a shot before I did anything else.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top