Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i know there are accessories to control all the pwn devices with the gpu temp, however i never saw anything about using both cpu and gpu temp at the same time.
Is it possible?

If so how can one do such a thing?

Is it best to put a temp sensor somewhere in the loop and adjust the speed of the fan and pump based on that?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I know of no way to control PWM devices from a dual source with our a separate device like and Aquearo. With an Aquearo you could make a virtual temp sensor by combining the 2 temps. You could then use the single combined source to control the fans/pumps. The single best way to control PWM devices is by coolant temp. Pumps don't really need to be controlled. Most people find the sweet spot and set and forget. Some GPUs now come the 4 pin fan headers to control RAD/Case fans by GPU temp. But the least effective way to use PWM devices is by CPU/GPU temp.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know of no way to control PWM devices from a dual source with our a separate device like and Aquearo. With an Aquearo you could make a virtual temp sensor by combining the 2 temps. You could then use the single combined source to control the fans/pumps. The single best way to control PWM devices is by coolant temp. Pumps don't really need to be controlled. Most people find the sweet spot and set and forget. Some GPUs now come the 4 pin fan headers to control RAD/Case fans by GPU temp. But the least effective way to use PWM devices is by CPU/GPU temp.
Yup i did the same thing when i had a predator, put the pump at 75% and forget about it.

I assume using the coolant temp as the source will require some testing, also to find the sweet spot?
Does that require additionnal hardware/software or can i just plug a g 1/4 temp sensor in my loop, plug it into the motherboard and adjust everything in bios ?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
Run your fan curves off liquid, not component temps. That will be far more beneficial.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
Don't know if it is possible from bios, google it a bit but i struggle to find information on this
That wholly depends on your MB, whether it has temp sensors and if the BIOS fan curve can be set to it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What MB do you have?
Asus rampage V extreme.
According to the user manual i should have 3 headers for sensors and the bios seems to allow me to adjust fans according to the sensors temperature.
I don't know the process though, like except running a benchmark and check the temps then adjust the fanspeed what else can i do ?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hi there

Get Aquaero and you will not regret this investment, if budget allows 6LT is what you need,extra temperature sensor what I would get bit that's it

I have used same motherboard Asus Rampage V Extreme and I hated that board due the fan control, with multiple fans I struggled to control some fans,main issues has been start up fans during the boot up as fans would run at max speeds until you reach Windows screen

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there

Get Aquaero and you will not regret this investment, if budget allows 6LT is what you need,extra temperature sensor what I would get bit that's it

I have used same motherboard Asus Rampage V Extreme and I hated that board due the fan control, with multiple fans I struggled to control some fans,main issues has been start up fans during the boot up as fans would run at max speeds until you reach Windows screen

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
Sorry mate but the last thing i want is a 5.25 device in my case.
Also aquaero devices are super expensive.

I actually had the same issue with a fan from nzt, i replaced it by a be-quiet and it was gone, an issue with voltage perhaps?
Was the fan a DC one or a pwn?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I skimmed the MVE manual. From the quick scan I do not see where you can tag the temp sensor headers to the fan header. Like I said it was a quick scan. I’m fairly familiar with ROG boards, it’s all I’ve owned while water cooling the last 10 yrs. I’ve wanted to do the very thing you are trying to do. My first board ME3, not capable, second board MFVII still not capable, my latest board MXF has this ability. I went with the Aquareo with the MFVII. You can get an Aquareo 6 LT no face plate, can be installed out of sight.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sorry mate but the last thing i want is a 5.25 device in my case.
Also aquaero devices are super expensive.

I actually had the same issue with a fan from nzt, i replaced it by a be-quiet and it was gone, an issue with voltage perhaps?
Was the fan a DC one or a pwn?
Hi there

Aquaero 6LT is not as expensive, you can find it for £100 and saw used one for £50-£60 few weeks back,this one I bought for my friend build

6LT is can be mounted where you want,will not take extra 5.25 device and can be mounted at back etc

Regarding the fans issues, this has been lile PWM or DC models, tried like Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL2 or EK Vardar F3 1850RPM and few others, this issue I never have with my X99 ASRock X99 Extreme6

Using temperatures sensor on yours board is possible but you will be using as yours source water temperature sensor if its fitted, most of people here using water delta T than water temperature

Controlling pumps, not sure if its worth it,my pumps running at max most of the time

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I skimmed the MVE manual. From the quick scan I do not see where you can tag the temp sensor headers to the fan header. Like I said it was a quick scan. I’m fairly familiar with ROG boards, it’s all I’ve owned while water cooling the last 10 yrs. I’ve wanted to do the very thing you are trying to do. My first board ME3, not capable, second board MFVII still not capable, my latest board MXF has this ability. I went with the Aquareo with the MFVII. You can get an Aquareo 6 LT no face plate, can be installed out of sight.
You can in the bios, i rebooted yesterday to check, there is option from temp_sensor1 to 3.
What is MFVII ?
If i cannot do it with the motherboard i will just adjust according to cpu temp.

Hi there

Aquaero 6LT is not as expensive, you can find it for £100 and saw used one for £50-£60 few weeks back,this one I bought for my friend build

6LT is can be mounted where you want,will not take extra 5.25 device and can be mounted at back etc

Regarding the fans issues, this has been lile PWM or DC models, tried like Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL2 or EK Vardar F3 1850RPM and few others, this issue I never have with my X99 ASRock X99 Extreme6

Using temperatures sensor on yours board is possible but you will be using as yours source water temperature sensor if its fitted, most of people here using water delta T than water temperature

Controlling pumps, not sure if its worth it,my pumps running at max most of the time

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
£100 is expensive for me.
Thing is, if it doesn't go into a 5.25 device i have no other spot to mount it, i don't want to strap things to my case nor drilling holes (i don't have a drill anyway).

Oh so you mean you also have a sensor for ambiant temp and you're calculating the delta and using it to control the fans? or did i miss something ?
Nope, controlling pump is useless i will just set a speed and not touch it anymore.

·
Registered
371 Posts
aquaro, hands down, way better than on board crap
i used one on my previous build, cost me 35 quid and i mounted it on the back of the motherboard area of my case
used 2 temp sensors, coolant and ambient, and used the delta between the tow to control the fan curve, kept a max 7.5 degree c above ambient coolant

went with motherboard control this time and its just a pain in the ass... it works, but its not ideal... (gigabyte) i mean i have to set coolant curve based on coolant obviously, but having no ambient reference.. means oyu have to be more conservative with the = coolant temp.. or in hot summer days you could potentially have fans running all out for no benefit, so my fan curve is literally between 32-42 deg c coolant... which is way higher than i would have with a decent controller, in fact next time i can actually get to my fan headers the aquaro will go back in

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aquaro, hands down, way better than on board crap
i used one on my previous build, cost me 35 quid and i mounted it on the back of the motherboard area of my case
used 2 temp sensors, coolant and ambient, and used the delta between the tow to control the fan curve, kept a max 7.5 degree c above ambient coolant

went with motherboard control this time and its just a pain in the ass... it works, but its not ideal... (gigabyte) i mean i have to set coolant curve based on coolant obviously, but having no ambient reference.. means oyu have to be more conservative with the = coolant temp.. or in hot summer days you could potentially have fans running all out for no benefit, so my fan curve is literally between 32-42 deg c coolant... which is way higher than i would have with a decent controller, in fact next time i can actually get to my fan headers the aquaro will go back in
I checked the aquaero review quickly.
I don't understand why you cannot achieve that with the motherboard temp headers.

I thought once in windows you could manage the fans however you want, so all that would be needed would be a software and a secondary sensor to get ambiant temp?

Am i missing something ?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't understand why you cannot achieve that with the motherboard temp headers.

I thought once in windows you could manage the fans however you want, so all that would be needed would be a software and a secondary sensor to get ambiant temp?

Am i missing something ?
you could but no one makes the software to do that
that i have seen
all software seems to be fan speed based on value from sensor, in my research i found no way of creating virtual sensors.. i mean it may be overkill for most people...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you could but no one makes the software to do that
that i have seen
all software seems to be fan speed based on value from sensor, in my research i found no way of creating virtual sensors.. i mean it may be overkill for most people...
You may have some luck with iot related softwares but imo that would be a pain in the a** to configure, also it would require you to code :D

Damn there is so many aquaero out there.
The cheapest new i found was the aquaero 5 LT and the cheapest used was the aquaero 4.
I assume both are enough for what needs to be done though i am not sure they will be compatible with windows 10.
Will look into how to fix it in the case without doing anything sketchy

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts

Am i missing something ?
You aren't really missing anything. In most simple setups, the ASUS boards can do exactly what you are looking to do, and what the Aquaero would do. Before you run out and drop money on a component that may or may not offer you anything for your particular setup that you don't already have, try out the MB control. The Aquaeros are great, they are fantastic....but they are completely unnecessary and add nothing but cost in a lot of simple loops. Mine resides in the closet simply because it can't offer anything my Sabertooth doesn't for my build.

Try out your original plan. If it doesn't work the way you wanted it to, then spend the money on a controller. Don't drop cash on something you may very well have no need for.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You aren't really missing anything. In most simple setups, the ASUS boards can do exactly what you are looking to do, and what the Aquaero would do. Before you run out and drop money on a component that may or may not offer you anything for your particular setup that you don't already have, try out the MB control. The Aquaeros are great, they are fantastic....but they are completely unnecessary and add nothing but cost in a lot of simple loops. Mine resides in the closet simply because it can't offer anything my Sabertooth doesn't for my build.

Try out your original plan. If it doesn't work the way you wanted it to, then spend the money on a controller. Don't drop cash on something you may very well have no need for.
Well, i don't have my pump/res yet and it seems i have options that would allow me to not use a controller at all like this pump perhaps ? https://www.aquatuning.fr/refroidis...0381/aquacomputer-aquastream-ultimate-version
That would be a win-win if it works, better temp control and i can finish my loop :D

Thing is, using the motherboard is good but apparently there is no software that can use the motherboards sensors and create a delta with them, that's unfortunate (or maybe aquasuite can?)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts