Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Acrylic Case! (And my first Mod too!)

Basic idea: Using the Corsair H50 for cooling, but neither blowing hot air over motherboard and other components nor using heated up "inside" air but only "room" air.

Material: clear 8mm acrylic

UPDATES:

06.03.2010 1) Basic Acrylic Cutting

15.03.2010 2) Some cutting, sanding and drilling

16.03.2010 3) More cutting and Tape-mod

27.+28.03.2010 4) More Cutting and some Sanding and Glueing

31.03.+01.04.2010 5) Sanding, polishing, glueing

02.04.2010: 6) Back-panel redone, more glueing

10.04.2010: 7) It´s starting to take shape + some sleeving

11.04.2010:8) Soldering, Glueing - I´m almost there!! Updated 13.04.2010

18.04.2010:9) Already looking like a PC case!! Updated 19.04.2010

25.04.2010: 9a) Additional pics

25.04.2010: 10) Fan-Controller + Fan-Cover + Some Polishing:

27.04.2010: Sketchup model updated - 2 pics

09.05.2010: 11) Some cable management:

13+14.05.2010: 12) Sleeving, Soldering, Cable-Management, Front-Cover

29.05.2010: 13) Covers and Fan Controller

30.05.2010: 14) Cutting the Mesh

20.06.2010: 15) The Feet, Cable Extensions, Side Panel and Disaster!!!

11.07.2010: 16) Feet done, Side-panel-fan-cover almost done

16.07.2010: Some more pics!

14.08.2010: 17) Fan-Covers, HDD-Bay, Cable-Clamps

27+29.08.2010: 18) Sleeving galore!

30+31.08.2010: 19) Assembly!

09.09.2010: Pics added!

20.10.2010: Final Pictures (beware - tons of pics)

Sketchup model: (will be updated now and then)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1) Basic acrylic cutting

For the basic cutting of the acrylic, I decided to ask a friend - who is a carpenter - to give me a helping hand. Using his table saw was really awesome - it´s creating really nice, straight edges. We just had to switch the blade for a finer one to get a better result.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics - took them with my mobile phone :/
Cutting:

Results:

(top from left to right: side(2), top+bottom, front+rear, mobo-plate, "partition", HDD-cage; bottom: where the H50 rad+fans will go, parts for mounting optical drive and fan controller)

(not looking too bad
edges still need some grinding and maybe polishing)
"Rods" and odds and ends:

Still waiting for the Parallel and Circular Cutter attachment for the Dremel and for the Dichlormethane - so no more progress till (hopefully) next weekend.
Just hope my Dad isn´t using his workshop too much.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Totally in, I was often teased about how fast I work, looks like you're giving me a run for my money!

Subbed and +repp'ed, cant wait for more updates.

EDIT: btw, the parallel guide isnt much use, it wobbles around a lot - I suggest laying a piece of wood next to the dremel and pushing it along as an edge guide. This way you cant stray into the material you want left untouched. Sorry these pictures arent great, I dont have any of the dremel in position, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Looks like your off to a great start!
I really like the positioning and idea for mounting the H50.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without further ado - her´s entry Nr.

2) Some cutting, sanding and drilling

First curcular holes - not too bad

Managed to cut 2 differnet radii though :/

Time for some power-sanding (awesome machine
)

Now for the straight lines (Decided to use the jigsaw with a makeshift-guide)

More circles (Those are for the H50 setup)

Drilling some holes for the mobo standoffs

Screwing the standoffs in (Since they got inch-threads I didn´t tap the holes - turned out quite nice)

Routing a channel for the GFX-card(s) + marking the spot where the bracket for the H50 will be (I think I´ll cut this out)

PSU-setup (quite narrow)

Back-plate marked and cut

With I/O schield and the hole I drilled to get the jigsaw-blade in >.< soo fail

Things left for tomorrow (Got another day off work
):
1) Cutting hole for the PSU in the back-panel and for the PSU-fan in the bottom-panel
2) Cutting those "arrow"-shaped parts on top- and front-panel + the holes for the power switch and external USB/eSATA
3)think about the cable-management, maybe try a few things
and for later on:
4) sleeving
5)sanding

And a technical question: Is it possible to connect 2 fans to 1 fan-header? Wouldn´t that be too much power for the mobo? (If that was possible, I wouldn´t need to fit the fan-controller in) Couldn´t find any readings for the fan-headers with a quick search - so I´m thankful for every idea/advice.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Very accurate work with the motherboard there, I'm impressed! Shame about the jigsaw hole but you'll soon forget about it

You seem to have had a fruitful weekend! Keep it up, I cant wait for more updates! I know that the actual work is much more interesting than updating OCN, but it's great to put some permalinks in your first post as you go along so you datestamp them

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
awesome work so far

(watching)

(images at 1024x768 usually work best for worklogs due to all the wasted left margin space on ocn - just a heads up)
cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3) More cutting and Tape-mod

Back panel done!

Front:

Perfect fit (after a little bit of sanding):

Mobo tray (one of the awesome things of clear acrylic: you can turn it around and still see what you marked out, so I didn´t have to remove all the standoffs :V):

And that piece below the mobo tray - cut for cable management:

Final cut!!!!!! (I thought)

Then I decided to tape it together to get a first impression of how it will look:

Seeing this I realised i made a mistake when measuring/cutting the holes for the I/O shield and the GFX xards: I´m about 20mm(!) off. If i could I would have bit my ass! No idea where i messed this up - but I gotta redo the back panel

Then a friend came over and had a look at it. And the first question he asked: Where are the side-panels?
So I handed him the one with the hole for the fan - and it just fits in perfect!
Not the smallest gap! I was pretty stoked - and still am - about this

So, forget about the back panel - I´ll find a way to fix it

PS: That´s it for another 10 days! So yeah, enjoy!

·
OG
4,073 Posts
Very nice sofar.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thanks a lot guys

Over the week I´ve been pndering my options for the fan covers and feet.
That´s what I´ve come up with:

So, for the feet: left: 1 piece of clear acrylic between 2 sheets of 2mm black acrylic OR just some kind of cone (only clear acrylic)??

And the fan covers (thoase will be made of 2 mm black acrylic and there will be mesh to cover the fans): which one does actually look better - left OR right side??

Thx for every opinion.

PS: Seeing that it´s starting to get warmer outside (spring!!! yay) and the snow is starting to melt - and thus the rivers start to swell, I´ll be doing quite a lot of whitewater-kayaking on the weekends. I´ll still try to keep a good pace at this worklog though xD

1 - 20 of 168 Posts