Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard of cool n quiet a bit before, but then i stumbled on a overclocking youtube video saying to disable it, and that it prevents you from overclocking

but before i read that it's good to keep enabled (on overclocking thread/website topics)

what's the deal? should i enable, disable? (i want to overclock cpu)

ty

·
The Computer Guy
6,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zero0zero0
View Post

You should disable it. It will regulate your voltage and speed and it will be hard to keep a stable overclock.

yeppers

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
CnQ is a BIOS option that reduces the speed of the CPU when it is not needed. Saving power and extending CPU life. It does this by running the CPU with a lower Multiplier when it is not under load. The more work you make the CPU do, the higher it raises the multiplier.

Turning it off is recommended while actually OC'ing the rig, as it will have your CPU clocks jumping up and down while you try to stabilze everything.

In other words, its just a PITA while your OC'ing. Its actually useful when you get everything sorted out.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The only time you might run into an issue with stability is if you are OC'ing with the FSB.

CnC lowers the multi to 4 when Idle and the voltage to (in my case) .95v. If you up the FSB to 250, 1000mhz at .95v might not be stable like the stock 800mhz would be.

If you are just using the Multi, you shouldn't have any issues. I have my rig unlocked and overclocked with CnC on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I prefer to have CnQ on as it keep temps down and saves power but it does cause stability issues and if you want a totally stable OC I'd recommend you leave it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts