Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My computer has 8 fans. 1 for the proccessor (does about 5000 RPM and alot of noise), 2 at the back, 2 at the side, 1 at the top, and 2 in the front. but my computer isn't so cool after all.
CPU most of the time stays on 50c and MB on 33c.

any suggestions?

thank you very much
Chaim

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Could you describe how you have your fans setup? You want to have the fronts blowing air onto the CPU fan, and you want the back sucking that out. If you want to test your airflow, just do what Tom does and use a little smoke.

• Rep+
Reactions: chaim

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaim

Hi everyone.

My computer has 8 fans. 1 for the proccessor (does about 5000 RPM and alot of noise), 2 at the back, 2 at the side, 1 at the top, and 2 in the front. but my computer isn't so cool after all.
CPU most of the time stays on 50c and MB on 33c.

any suggestions?

thank you very much
Chaim

Keep in mind that Intel processors generate a lot of heat. Do you by any chance have a Prescott core? If you're running 50C on load, that's actually not bad at all for an Intel.

• Rep+
Reactions: chaim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not sure about my fans setup, but how do i check that with smoke? is there any other way to test air flow?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Front and side should be intake. Back and top should be exhaust. System temp will depend a lot on room temps. What kind of cpu cooler do you have?

• Rep+
Reactions: sccr64472

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

i'm not sure about my fans setup, but how do i check that with smoke? is there any other way to test air flow?

What exactly are you wanting to check? Your front and side fans should be intake, but your rear and top fans should be exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm sorry for being stupid (i'm a newb in this stuff)
how do i know which way the air goes?
is it different fan for intake/exhast?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

i'm sorry for being stupid (i'm a newb in this stuff)
how do i know which way the air goes?
is it different fan for intake/exhast?

No, it just means which way the fan is pointing. If you can't tell by looking at the fan while it's off, simply lick your finger and place it in the airflow. You can easily tell if it's blowing towards your finger or not.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just put your hand up to the fan when it is on. Keep your case open and power up the computer and just hold your hand up to either side of each fan to see if the air is moving from the outside to the inside (intake) or the inside to outside (exhaust).

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
yeah, positive-pressure systems happen when you only have intake. As for smoke testing, Tom usually just sticks a smoldering cigarette in front of his intake and watches what the smoke does. Helps to have a window for this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts