Overclock.net banner

Coolant Issue

616 7
Hello, currently using EK cryofuel Solid Neon Green. I’ve used this particular coolant many times in the past and never had this issue before. The EK reservoir/pump combo are brand new and so is the GPU block. I have EK ZMT soft tubing connecting the rad to the inlet n outlet on the bottom of the res, the tube going to the GPU is Bitspower PETG. I mentioned the soft tubing because I did have Plasticizer issues a very long time ago when I stated water cooling but that was using clear tubing or a tubing type other then ZMT which is not suppose to produce plasticizer but you never know. Basically it looks like something separated from the coolant and I can see it’s building up everywhere so it’s definitely a serious issue. Surprisingly my gpu temps are very low but I know it would continue to clog and there is no way I would continue like this regardless. For reference I planned on replacing the ZMT tubing with direct connect fittings anyway so this was more just a mock up. I also felt like it was causing a weird blockage or air bubble that wouldn’t go away when the PC was on but would subside when it shut it off. You can see it in the top left corner of the GPU.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Visual effect lighting Font Neon Rectangle Electric blue

Automotive lighting Fluid Motor vehicle Liquid Automotive design

Visual effect lighting Gas Technology Electric blue Electronic device

Visual effect lighting Gas Electric blue Neon Electronic device

Font Gas Visual effect lighting Electric blue Display device

Blue Purple Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas

Blue Fluid Gas Electric blue Visual effect lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Blue Entertainment Electronic instrument Visual effect lighting Gas

Rectangle Gas Electric blue Automotive exterior Font
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Have you mixed the tubing in the past without issues? That air bubble in the GPU you have is cause your GPU is mounted vertical, tilting case might help while the pump runs, just be careful while doing it. You should have better flow in your block once bubble is out.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Bubbles in your system is normal, foam is not. Can you see anything settling out in your REZ? My advice would be to throughly drain and rinse out your loop. If it was me I’d break down blocks and clean. I’d also suggest another coolant such as mod my mods coolant, something with out color.

·
2 Easy
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will drain it but nothing I’ve seen has explained what caused the coolant to do this, I’ve only seen stuff like this related to Plasticizer.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Just what EK coolant does these days.
Got the same effect with foam when then pump was eating to much air and not getting bubble free coolant into it with the FLT120.
It's just to small a reservoir that eats air into the pump if you use full speed not having it topped up properly.
Looking at the images the water level is to low in the FLT120 to not cause the bubble effect as it really draws in all the air possible into it through a vortex effect.

You need to use a slower speed or top it up as much as possible that there is a risk of the coolant going out the port where you fill it. It's not a great design for a reserviour. You really need the larger sized ones for it to work.

·
2 Easy
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started to flush the system this morning to see how bad it was. Some how something leached off and started building up in the pipes.

Sleeve Tartan Musical instrument Plaid Missile

Wood Metal Art Font Transparency

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle tire

·
2 Easy
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just what EK coolant does these days.
Got the same effect with foam when then pump was eating to much air and not getting bubble free coolant into it with the FLT120.
It's just to small a reservoir that eats air into the pump if you use full speed not having it topped up properly.
Looking at the images the water level is to low in the FLT120 to not cause the bubble effect as it really draws in all the air possible into it through a vortex effect.

You need to use a slower speed or top it up as much as possible that there is a risk of the coolant going out the port where you fill it. It's not a great design for a reserviour. You really need the larger sized ones for it to work.
I had it close to the top fill port as I was comfortable with allowing air in to the system originally. Even after I connected the pwm cable was still running at full speed. I’ve had issues in the past as well with PWM type pumps ignoring the pwm signal and running at full speed. I’ve been water cooling for over 15 years and never had issues like this besides Plastcizer when using clear tubing back in the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts