Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best solution to prevent contamination and corrosion for longer time?

Distilled Water + Mayhems Biocide or Mayhems X1 only ?

Thank you
thumb.gif
Sorry for my bad English
Regards

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Distilled water plus 5% Propylene Glycol type automotive antifreeze.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Mayhems biocide is not anti-corrosion, but inhibitor and pH balancer ?

I must also add anti corrosion ?

This is my configuration:

Code:

Code:
Monsoon Series Two Dual 5.25 Reservoir 
EK- D5 X-TOP - CSQ-Acetal 
EK-Supremacy EVO BLUE Edition 
Alphacool Radiator NexXxoS XT45
Bitspower fittings
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Brilliant UV Blue
also wanted to ask if you buy normal distilled water from my shop or choose Ybris ultra pure distilled water from ybris-cooling.it ?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
I've been using distilled water from the grocery store for over 15 years and never had a problem, even storing filled systems for years. I just add 5% automotive (Ethylene Glycol based) anti freeze.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Ahhhh, so build the system to suit the coolant. Nice logic.

Here's us thinking we were talking about the op's actual loop.

Everyone should just have ugly loops.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Must have missed where it was posted what block he has. If he already got nickel plated, blocks and fittings, still a non issue as nickel/copper dont exchange very readily. If there are mystery metals or flakey nickel coatings thats another story.

Well the logic is "Build a proper loop, dont worry about the liquid", not build it to suit a certain fluid, nickel is nothing but bling so if you must have it...

I still use fittings, radiators, and water block from 4 years ago and only one showed corrosion, the cheap ass Coolgate 140 single rad which certainly has mystery metals in it. Proper loop no corrosion occurs....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Delrin became the material of choice due to availability and ease of machining. Results with different coolant blends somehow differ.

Typically the best material to resist should be fiberglass reinforced polythelyne. This is the material found on your car radiators. It is resistant to thermal expansion and plays nice with glycol based coolants. Ethelyne glycol is sufficient to inhibit growth. Typical long life automotive coolants should not require any maintenance, save for the fact that some tubing materials aren't compatible.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,589 Posts
I had a really bad experience with algae using only 5% ethylene glycol in distilled water, that low is not safe. That low isn't great for corrosion resistance either (if using an aluminium radiator or something). Now I use distilled water + silver and I have not had a problem for years but I am very careful to only have copper in the loop.

Distilled water is also much easier to clean up, if you spill distilled water you can mop up the worst and let it dry but an ethylene glycol spill is a pain to clean up (and will poison animals if left out). This is my strongest reason for preferring distilled water. I do tend to get coolant all over the place.
redface.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Copper is actually naturally bacteriostatic. Odor-mitigating socks have copper fibers woven in for instance.

The best reason for using distilled water is superior thermal conductivity.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,589 Posts
You must not be very messy, better heat capacity is a side benefit for me.
wink.gif

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are corrosion problems with these parts?

Code:

Code:
EK-Supremacy EVO BLUE Edition

Radiator - Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm

Reservoir - Monsoon Series Two D5 Premium Dual 5.25" Matte Black

Fittings - Bitspower

G1/4" Matt Black Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting - Bitspower

Tubing - PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Brilliant UV Blue
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts