Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as this case is only 7.5" wide, when I installed my Megagalems I had to remove my side panel fan. The cooler just fits with about 2mm to spare. WHEW! I still wanted to have my side panel fan, so I cut away the side grill, and installed it on the outside of the case. Works well. Just have to get a fan grill, so I don't loose my fingers.

While I was cutting things up, I decided I would cut away the back exhaust grill as well. This mod of the back grill has dropped my CPU temps by 3-4c. The air now flows much better out the back of the case. I believe I'll go ahead and cut a hole in the top of the case, and add another exhaust fan. Getting rid of them built in case grills does wonders for air flow.

LL

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by R1P5AW View Post
Looks cool-can you mount the side fan on the inside of the case?
Thanks!
No. The CPU cooler would hit it. That's why I mounted it outside.
I think after I cut a hole in the top, and mount another exhaust fan, that should get my temps down a few more degrees!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
You have a pretty good system going on there, why not get case that is more spacious? it's worth it.
Thanks. I thought about it, but I'm having fun modding this one! If I can't get my temps down to a satisfactory level, I may have to look into a new case.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the hole cut in the top of my case. But I didn't stop at that. I took a 1/2 gallon plastic paint can, the top still had the tin rim and lid, the rest of the can is black plastic. I cut the bottom of the can off, remove the lid of course, then use a can opener to remove the inside if the rim. The outside of the tin rim is still in tact.

I then cleaned it all up, cut the hole in the top of my case just big enough so the rim of the can would catch on it when I slid it in. Then mounted an intake fan on top off the hole. The can directs the air right on top off my ram, and in front of my Megahalems intake fan. Reduced my Prime95 blend temps by 5 degrees (68c now), and this is without my side panel fan, because I used it for the top fan.
Have to pick up another fan for the side, maybe lose another 1-2c. Check it out!

LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No comments? Wow! I thought it was a pretty good idea for a case with low air flow, and didn't turn out to bad. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The rear fan grille mod was cool, but I'm not sure I agree with the top fan. I think you would have benefited more from adding an intake fan in the 5.25 bays with a dust filter. Have all intakes filtered to minimize maintenance.

EDIT : Disregard my statement. I see you have no room in the 5.25 area.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Looks isn't a priority for me anymore, I'm 43! The fan on top connected to the pipe directs cool air directly into the intake fan of my Megahelms!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HSG502 View Post
Can't you keep the pipe and have the fan mounted inside though? Lol, I guess I'm just too OCD to not have it look decent.
Here ya go! Made some adjustments. Think you'll like this better. Fans are now filtered as well. Positive case pressure. Have a look!

LL
LL
LL
LL

• Rep+
Reactions: HSG502

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yea, that's much nicer. +rep.

How were you able to attach the top fan? Need moar pics lol

Does the Megahalem hit the acrylic? Because after fiddling with cables today, I noticed I have a scratch where the face plate of my N620 has been scraping on the acrylic window when I take off the sidepanel/put it on.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HSG502 View Post
Yea, that's much nicer. +rep.

How were you able to attach the top fan? Need moar pics lol

Does the Megahalem hit the acrylic? Because after fiddling with cables today, I noticed I have a scratch where the face plate of my N620 has been scraping on the acrylic window when I take off the sidepanel/put it on.
Thank-You. I have about a 2mm clearance to my window. The new duct I used I found here (http://www.ncixus.com/products/32773.../Thermalright/) It screws right to the fan itself.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Thumb View Post
Thank-You. I have about a 2mm clearance to my window. The new duct I used I found here (http://www.ncixus.com/products/32773.../Thermalright/) It screws right to the fan itself.
Oh wow, that's quite a handy thing to have for those of us with low airflow cases lol.

2mm is alot more than I have. I dislike how this does less cooling for more of the space.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Folks,

I too have this faboulous case (was on tight Budget though), Please check the pics below and comment on the cable management ( hell of a task in this case).

I am still trying to improve on this, recently purchased the NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller and silverstone fp 035 card reader. Hence the current cable management went for a toss, requesting your able advise in overcoming this if possible.

I saw on You tube one guy drilling a hole above the motherboard panel - thinking of the same for me too. what say?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saifbukhari View Post
Hi Folks,

I too have this faboulous case (was on tight Budget though), Please check the pics below and comment on the cable management ( hell of a task in this case).

I am still trying to improve on this, recently purchased the NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller and silverstone fp 035 card reader. Hence the current cable management went for a toss, requesting your able advise in overcoming this if possible.

I saw on You tube one guy drilling a hole above the motherboard panel - thinking of the same for me too. what say?
For this case, I'd say you've done a fine job of cable management. I believe it puts mine to shame, and I thought I did a pretty good job. I wouldn't bother drilling any holes. I don't believe your cables are impeding any air flow!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way, it's cool to see the H50 in that case. I was considering buying it before I settled on the Megahalems. Just couldn't bring myself to put liquid cooling in my PC. Chicken Shhit! hahaha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks a Ton mate, im flattered by your appreciation, and also i am encouraged more to get the NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller and silverstone fp 035 card reader sqeeze in this rig without disturbing the current cable management (although is a very very tough task) but hey im up for it and will update you asap.

Thanks again very much mate :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by saifbukhari View Post
Thanks a Ton mate, im flattered by your appreciation, and also i am encouraged more to get the NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller and silverstone fp 035 card reader sqeeze in this rig without disturbing the current cable management (although is a very very tough task) but hey im up for it and will update you asap.

Thanks again very much mate :)
If you want to seriously increase the airflow in your case, I suggest you do what I did. Cut the fan grills out of the side and back of your case with a pair of tin snips, then reattach your fans using custom fan grills. The increase in airflow is immense!!! If you want to keep the dust out, you'll have to use filters on your intake, but your outtake is fine with just a fan grill! These are what I used.

For intake-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995048&cm_re=fan_filter s-_-11-995-048-_-Product

For exhaust-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995045&cm_re=fan_grill-_-11-995-045-_-Product

It's a very useful, cheap, and easy mod!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts