Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A client came into our shop asking for a gaming PC.

She had a fair budget for a PC and had some room to move.. She wanted an i7 8700K, 16GB of RAM, a GeForce 1080, and a nice case with some "LEDs or something". She gave me a lot of leeway there because she wasn't sure what she wanted.

Kudos to her, she had a list of parts she was interested in, and actually did some homework and research before coming to us. I was impressed.

At first, I tried to talk her down a bit because she and her dad have been good clients for us, and I wanted to get her a good bargain. She was more interested in her parts list, so I priced it all out for her and built her a nice little rig. I ended up picking out the Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB because it met her size requirement, and had some nice RGB lighting without being too flashy-looking. It also came in at a great price considering all the features it has, and allowed me to spend a little more on other components while still having a sweet case.

I have never been a big Cooler Master case fan, but this case is pretty sweet. It's similar to previous versions with some nice modifications. I like the direction Cooler Master is going with their cases.

There are no optical drive bays, so this allows the entire front to be covered by three 120mm RGB fans.
Those three 3-pin fans have true RGB, and can be plugged into a splitter provided with the case, allowing them to all be controlled with a single RGB header. Of course, this means the fans will all mimic each other for RGB but the alternative is to use three RGB headers. There is also a rear 120mm fan which, oddly enough, is not RGB.

Warning: The cables for the fans on the front are far too short. They are not even long enough to plug into a motherboard. The case comes with a molex (yes, that molex) 3-way fan power splitter. This is the biggest problem with the case. No one wants to use molex anymore. Imagine having a modular PSU but having to install a molex cable just for these fans? That's not really a very good idea. Just making the fan cables longer would have been a much more elegant solution. Since I didn't have any extensions kicking around, and I wasn't about to embarrass myself by using the molex splitter, I had to build three extensions so I could plug all three fans into the motherboard. That's my biggest complaint about this case. For many people I suppose it wouldn't be a concern, but when paying attention to detail the way they did designing this case, it seems odd to include such an archaic thing. Not to mention putting you on the spot if you don't have any extensions handy or can't make some.

There are two 3.5" hard drive bays/caddies with mounting holes for 2.5" SSDs. There is also one dedicated 2.5" SSD mount.
Unlike in previous versions, the hard drive cages are under the PSU cover, and rotated to face the opposite direction so the drives install from the backplate side instead of the board side of the case. The PSU installs from the rear of the case. These things combined allow for the PSU cover to actually be a part of the case and not just an add-in cover. This increases the rigidness of the chassis. Indeed, although lightweight, I was impressed with how strong the case felt.

So, this is the pile of parts we picked out for her:

That's a ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming motherboard on the left. The Corsair RAM in the middle is Vengeance RGB 2666MHz. It was only $7 more than the non-RGB version. The SSD is a Samsung Evo 250GB, and we added a Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM HDD for storage space. We got the video card to match the motherboard, and so when she's interacting with part manufacturers she will only have to deal with ASUS if she has to.

Here is a pic of the nasty side. You can just see the hard drive cages at the bottom behind all the cables.

Managing the cables was a pleasure in this case. There were lots of holes for the cables (perhaps too many holes?) so it was easy to rout them. Unfortunately there are no grommets for the holes like in more expensive cases. Again, just including some would have been nice. Do they really cost that much? I do stress that even without them, I still really like this case.

In front of the PSU, you can see an empty area between the PSU and the hard drive cages. All the unneeded cables were easily tucked away in this area, with easy access if they are ever needed. This case makes it completely unnecessary to have a modular PSU. You can store the extra cables in the case instead of in your closet.

The ATX motherboard fit without any issues. The centre stand-off has a tapered end so as you mount the motherboard, the tapered end sits in the screw hole in the board, holding it in place for you to put the screws in. Nice touch.

Everything fits without any issues. It has power and reset buttons on the top front of the case. There are two USB 3.0 ports, plus headphone jack as well.

Ended up looking something like this:

Notice the gap at the front of the PSU cover? This is for handling a 360mm rad up front. Nice touch on such an inexpensive case.

I have to say, nice job Cooler Master. I think a 360mm AIO water cooler, such as a Thermaltake Water 3.0 would be perfect for this case.

This is available on Amazon right now (in Canada) for $89.99, and it's Prime so it's free shipping. The Egg has it for same price with $15 shipping, Memory Express lists it for $109.99, but they will match Amazon.

You peoples in the USA have it nice, $59.99 Amazon Prime. Non-RGB version, $49.99 Prime. Sweet...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts