Overclock.net banner

Coolermaster 600watt psu enough for 4870x2?

499 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  kow_ciller
Hi,
I was wondering if my current psu (http://www.sysopt.com/features/cases...2024_3622766_2) would be enough to power my current setup with a 4870x2. The current setup is:

W3520 (I7 920) @ 4GHz 1.2v
Asus P6T
3GB OCZ ram
2x seagate 500 GB
1x WD 250GB
1x DVD-RW
Watercooling pump + lots and lots of fans.

Is this psu going to be enough or am I going to need something else? I have a GTX280 in there currently and it can handle that ok. Let me know. Thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
After reading that review, I would rather see you get a better-quality 650W or so. I'm not saying that any 650W would be better, but I'm saying that I would rather see you get a PSU that's of better quality and also has a rating of at least 650W or so.
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Yeah I've been looking into getting a new psu and probably will pretty soon, but for the time being do you think it will at least power it on and work with the 4870x2? Thanks
GTX280 draws 300W~ at load, 4870x2 draws 400W+. You are going to need more power. Maybe 750W to be on the safe side. It calls for 650W which is usually over-rated but with your setup, it's probably going to be barely enough depending on the Amps per rail.
  • Rep+
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post
GTX280 draws 300W~ at load, 4870x2 draws 400W+. You are going to need more power. Maybe 750W to be on the safe side. It calls for 650W which is usually over-rated but with your setup, it's probably going to be barely enough depending on the Amps per rail.
Airdraft: this is why I am recommending a better-quality PSU with at least a 650W rating. If you had one of those, then you'd be flying high.
See less See more
ehhhh its a little edgy. IMO you'd probably be pushing it. It may run the card but that PSU's rails are going to probably loaded 100 percent, which is never a good thing for long term. You always want to have at least some kind of buffer for wattage when using your PSU. If you had maybe a good >700W PSU it would be more ideal.
  • Rep+
Thanks for all the help. Looks like its time to go and get another psu. Rep +
Quote:

Originally Posted by airdraft View Post
Thanks for all the help. Looks like its time to go and get another psu. Rep +
Definitely go for a new PSU. I tried to run a single 9600GSO card and an E4600 on a PSU that claimed to be 800W, it blew up and took out the MB and HDD as well. I replaced the mobo, HDD, and switched to a Corsair CX400w, and it ran fine. For your setup, I would suggest the Corsair TX650 or above, or the HX620 or above (the HX620 is identical on the inside to the TX650, but it has modular cables). You can't go wrong with Corsair PSUs IMO
See less See more
For the time being, you'd be alright. But any long term it'd be best to get something from a better manufacturer. I had a 600w OCZ stealthxstream and a 4870x2 for a little while and it was fine, but with an overclocked i7 you'd hit that "safe limit" faster.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.