Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

So I just ordered Rockit 99 delid tool, should be here tomorrow. Was thinking of running without the IHS and running the cooling direct on die/core on my 7900X.
Have any of you any experience with this? My thoughts was that the cooling would be better with direct contact. Will be using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.

One potential issue would perhaps be that there will be a gap between the die and cooler without the IHS?

Thanks to all that replies.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Seems a hit and miss cooling system for very little on 7900x said to be only 5c lower for 100.us.+
Not compatible with mono blocks but is for regular water blocks.

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing, but what from what I understand this should not be necessary on Skylake-X if I understand der8auer correctly. He mentions that it might bend the PCB as it is thin, and something about might not get proper contact on all of the die or the pins not aligned correctly. I just see it as a bit unlikely that this would not work without his tool, considering the design of X299 and Skylake-X.

Does any of you have experience without using similar to this linked above? Is it worth getting this, would have to order from another country to get this and price was fairly high. I know that some of you on OCN ran direct to die with older Intel CPU's, just have not seen it more recently.

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Seems a hit and miss cooling system for very little on 7900x said to be only 5c lower for 100.us.+
Not compatible with mono blocks but is for regular water blocks.
No doubt, and like I mentioned in the last post, think this can be done without his tool to be honest. Just curious if any of you have done it or seen it be done.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
I've seen fails and read how much can be expected to lower past a regular delid and just decide it would just be a waste to get 5c lower
Plus possibly whacking my mother boards warranty chasing 5c :kookoo:

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
Hi all!

So I just ordered Rockit 99 delid tool, should be here tomorrow. Was thinking of running without the IHS and running the cooling direct on die/core on my 7900X.
Have any of you any experience with this? My thoughts was that the cooling would be better with direct contact. Will be using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.

One potential issue would perhaps be that there will be a gap between the die and cooler without the IHS?

Thanks to all that replies.
well this has been done before on the old AMD K7 cpu's the die on that processor was exposed so installing a water block or air cooler was tricky as the water block or air cooler could crack the die.

one thing of note is that a CPU water block today has a concave cone to the inside. the die is flat, so I would suggest making the water block surface flat as well.

it would be easier to just use a good TIM between the die and the IHS as many have done before.

·
Iconoclast
30,422 Posts
On current mainstream and earlier (1366) HEDT platforms that had mounting holes through the board, it's as easy as removing the ILM (independent loading mechanism, the retention mechanism that holds the CPU into the socket), setting the the CPU on the LGA and using the heatsink or water block to hold the part into place.

However, on LGA-2011-0, 2011-3, and 2066 the cooler mounting holes are part of the ILM. This means you have to be willing to destroy the ILM to separate the CPU retention components from the mounting holes, jury rig a new cooler retention mechanism, or use something like the frames listed above to have a good way to mount a cooler to a liddless part.

If your board has cooler mounting holes that go through the board, you can still use the old/easy/slightly risky method by just leaving off the ILM and using an additional backplate.

Generally, it's not worthwhile to run lidless. With the right cooler base (very flat, fairly thick, and absolutely no HDT coolers), temps can improve, but by and large the improvement vs. delidding and reattaching the the IHS with a thinner bondline of liquid metal TIM is quite small.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you can afford $1000usd cpu but you can't afford 70eur for proper setup to do what you want to do? :rolleyes:

I built this because der8auer's setup didn't exist yet.

I can afford it, just thought it was overpriced, and with added shipping across nations and 25% tax on import this is a expensive piece of plastic.
Nice setup btw ;)

On current mainstream and earlier (1366) HEDT platforms that had mounting holes through the board, it's as easy as removing the ILM (independent loading mechanism, the retention mechanism that holds the CPU into the socket), setting the the CPU on the LGA and using the heatsink or water block to hold the part into place.

However, on LGA-2011-0, 2011-3, and 2066 the cooler mounting holes are part of the ILM. This means you have to be willing to destroy the ILM to separate the CPU retention components from the mounting holes, jury rig a new cooler retention mechanism, or use something like the frames listed above to have a good way to mount a cooler to a liddless part.

If your board has cooler mounting holes that go through the board, you can still use the old/easy/slightly risky method by just leaving off the ILM and using an additional backplate.

Generally, it's not worthwhile to run lidless. With the right cooler base (very flat, fairly thick, and absolutely no HDT coolers), temps can improve, but by and large the improvement vs. delidding and reattaching the the IHS with a thinner bondline of liquid metal TIM is quite small.
Thanks for sharing.
My cooler actually has a flat copper surface, hence why I thought it would be ideal. Guess I will see once I get the lid off if it is a good fit or not. Worst case I will just reattach the lid again, should get a decent result either way :)

Hi,
Delid was a no brainer it gives 20c reduction at retail silicon lottery 100.us
This direct die is only for 5c at the same 100.us
10c for 7980xe
Just not enough juice for the risk and cost imho.

But they are in stock at ppc video showed he tested with ek evo water block
http://www.performance-pcs.com/der8auer-skylake-x-direct-die-frame.html
After seeing how hot my chip is, this certainly seems worth it!
Thanks.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Let us know how it goes
Pictures are required :)

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got no pictures for you ThrashZone, sorry. Decided to put the lid back on for resale value and warranty, however did drop at least a good 15-20c full load! Temps are also more even now across the cores, and in games it seems to be 5-10c lower. Very happy with the results :)
Next stop will be to go custom watercooling again, this AIO 360mm does not do the 7900X justice. But it is enough to keep it cool at 4.8ghz in games so can not complain :)

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Delid whacks intel 3 year warranty
Silicon lottery offers a 1 year warranty if they delid.

·
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,
Delid whacks intel 3 year warranty
Silicon lottery offers a 1 year warranty if they delid.
Only have access to local warranty here, should be fine anyways all is working well :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts