Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this post on the water cool section but I think it should be here instead.

This is the test...Total ~ $180

*$25 old computer from local residence
*$35 Using a ac like system with condencer, evap, and pump.
*$75-80 for 5gal of EDM-30 or EDM-500 insulating fluid.
*$45 for a new home made acrylic case.

I am told that EDM-30 has a freezing point of -10f and the flash point is not relavent because this fluid is used in EDM machines.

Testing starts next month.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
That sort of liquid is what I was talking about! Nice find!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. still trying to make sure this fluid will not gell too much when I put in the coil. If it does then I may have to go with just a large amp hsf instead of the ac unit. In theory the temps should still be way lower than air.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta View Post
watch out for condensation!
Just in case I missed something, where would condensation come from?
I am going to submerge the board in the fluid. there will be no air for condensation to form and the acrylic case will not sweat, just like cold water reef tanks. The fluid acts as an insulator and a cooler, I will not have to seel the electrical components from one another while they are submerged. I still need to read more but I think the major problems are the fluid not reacting like I was informed, and the compressor not working properly, everything els is attention to details. Of course I could also be completely off, but that is what the tests are for. Learning from mistakes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is much like it. the viscocity may be different. I checked out the 3M and found that the pour point is much lower which is nice but what I have chosen so far was originally used for shock cutting and electrical etching, the product line is rated from 150 amps to 400 amps, the fluid I chose is rated at 150 and the pour point is quoted at -10c. I may chose to go with the 3M but need to do more research.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats ok, I miss things like that also. I am just hoping to get to start this soon and find a good liquid that will not freeze too much. that would put a major block in the design, the whole project revolves around the selection of the fluid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a good idea and after looking on the internet I found the operable terminology is "direct liquid immersion cooling" there are lots of patents and theorys on it but few practical examples, the Cray T90 super computer that used 4 tons of fluorinert coolant is one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4 tons? wow..... I never looked that deep to see how many people have already done this, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Thanks for your info. Now I know there is more info out there than I am finding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy crap, this stuff is spendy.
The properties are perfect for my aplication but I don't have that kind of cash to throw at this experiment. That really is too bad. This fluid is the [email protected]*&@!...

here is a link. http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...ttt&TCdpTTTT6-

they sell the stuff by the pound and 3/4 gal is 11lbs... 1lbs =$20 unless you get it in 5gal incraments which is $18/lbs = $1320.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is an update on the design.....transperent acrylic for the outer case, but the final design will be black.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgnome229 View Post
11 gal would be $58...
2(5) + 1 = 11
2(18) + 20 = 58
If you are referring to the flourinert liquid, 3/4 of a gallon = 11 pounds
and 1 pound = $20
so 11 pounds would be $220
so 1 gallon is ~ $293.33

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Yeah man, any of that stuff is going to cost an arm and a leg. I wish I could remember the stuff that had -40C freezing point and ran $300/gal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts