Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my phenom II x4 925 yesterday. plugged it in, dropped the stock fan on it, powered it up and let it run all night. (wanted to see what the idle temps would be)

Right now as I type this, its idle at 37c
headscratch.gif

My old processor, Ahtlon 64 x2 7550 idled at 27c with a stock fan from an old athlon system.
thinking.gif

Should I use a different thermal paste, then the one provided by amd on the stock fan, to see if that will reduce heat generation.

Should I try the old cooler that seemed to perform better?

And what fan would work well with the 925 and be just as good for a 1090t?
Or, should I get one of the all-in-one water coolers for cpu's like the CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70?

Eventually when I get a better motherboard (since this one sucks) I would like to overclock this.

Any feedback on what you think is the best option would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
OK so, 37c is an excellent temperature. You can get cooler temps probably by getting a H50 or H70. Do you know what your ambient temps are and do you have an other fans blowing air onto the heat sink or sucking air from it?

And you could always get a good air cooler like the Hyper 212+.

But if you plan on getting a Phenom II x6 I would recommend a H50 or H70

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to SpeedFan Temps are as follows
gpu 28c
system 20c
cpu 44c
aux 50c
hd0 27c
hd1 26c
core 38c

as for other fans there are 2x 120mm intake on the front of case, 90mm intake on side of case, and 2x 240mm (i think) exhaust one top one rear. Standard gpu cooling and of course the psu has a 120mm blowing straight up into the case as well,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I swapped out the cooler with my old one.. Seems the old one just works better no matter what I do.

lowest idle temp was 21c
current idle 27c

So, I guess for now, I will stick with the current set up. At least till I get a decent mobo to work with.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Looking to get the same chip as well from the egg, the 925 95W, how does it "feel" in windows, I'm coming from pretty much the same chip, got the 925 and 820 on my shortlist right now, always makes me feel better to hear about something before I get it =)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea;12015179
Looking to get the same chip as well from the egg, the 925 95W, how does it "feel" in windows, I'm coming from pretty much the same chip, got the 925 and 820 on my shortlist right now, always makes me feel better to hear about something before I get it =)
It definitely "feels" better then the 7550.

Runs every game I have tried, at a max of 50% cpu usage.
Windows loads up a heck of a lot faster, then it used too.
Haven't really had much time to mess around and see just how much of a step up it is. (Working nights, sleeping days)

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blactor;12016517
It definitely "feels" better then the 7550.

Runs every game I have tried, at a max of 50% cpu usage.
Windows loads up a heck of a lot faster, then it used too.
Haven't really had much time to mess around and see just how much of a step up it is. (Working nights, sleeping days)
Awesome, getting me a bit excited
smile.gif
I get lost sometimes around here seeing the "big" builds, and the super mega benchmarks, nice to see positives in the budgeteers gear.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I really don't think you need an H50 to handle a 95W TDP stock processor.
I think a Hyper 212+ would be enough and just fine, and an inexpensive solution.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IzninjaFTW
View Post

OK so, 37c is an excellent temperature. You can get cooler temps probably by getting a H50 or H70. Do you know what your ambient temps are and do you have an other fans blowing air onto the heat sink or sucking air from it?

And you could always get a good air cooler like the Hyper 212+.

But if you plan on getting a Phenom II x6 I would recommend a H50 or H70

212+ my friend. HDT FTW !!

May not look all that cool, but for 15$ You get ~ 35$ cooler performance !

stock supplied thermal grease will suffice if you're on a budget- it does not dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts