Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 9600xt (use to have a ti4200) and a asus a7v880 with a athlonXP 2000 and a 350watt psu pushing it. In my old mother board (older asus model, not quite sure which tho) it had 3 options for the cpu's speed which were 1250, 1667, and user-defined; i always ran at 1667. With the new mobo it has predefined amounts of overclocking, and the option for a manually set amount, but if it is ANYTHING other than 1250 than something odd happens. It boots fine and everything but as soon as i start to run any kind of game, the system completely turns off and i have to disconnect the psu to get it to turn back on. I was thinking that the mobo is doing it becaue the processor was getting to hot, but everytime it would do it i'd quickly restart it and check the temp and it would never be above 105F. I dont know to much about all of this tho so i dont know what to do and im getting quiet annoyed with it.

the help would be much appreciated, im tired of playing cs classic all day (cant stand bad frames =/ )

aim : koolbeverage
yahoo : s1ck_and_tw1sted
xfire : n00dle (excellent prog)

feel free to use those to contact me if you have any questions that you need answered to answer my question
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by n00dle

I just got a 9600xt (use to have a ti4200) and a asus a7v880 with a athlonXP 2000 and a 350watt psu pushing it. In my old mother board (older asus model, not quite sure which tho) it had 3 options for the cpu's speed which were 1250, 1667, and user-defined; i always ran at 1667. With the new mobo it has predefined amounts of overclocking, and the option for a manually set amount, but if it is ANYTHING other than 1250 than something odd happens. It boots fine and everything but as soon as i start to run any kind of game, the system completely turns off and i have to disconnect the psu to get it to turn back on. I was thinking that the mobo is doing it becaue the processor was getting to hot, but everytime it would do it i'd quickly restart it and check the temp and it would never be above 105F. I dont know to much about all of this tho so i dont know what to do and im getting quiet annoyed with it.

the help would be much appreciated, im tired of playing cs classic all day (cant stand bad frames =/ )

aim : koolbeverage
yahoo : s1ck_and_tw1sted
xfire : n00dle (excellent prog)

feel free to use those to contact me if you have any questions that you need answered to answer my question


When you are pressing the video it is pulling additional power from the PSU, the problem may be that your PSU has insufficient output which would explain the low CPU temps but the force reboots, can you please tell us the specs on the PSU?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
the only time i ever see a system do the power off is when the powersupply cannot supply enough juice (power) to a system.
-it happens for various reasons
*lack of power for normal operation(i think it is your case)
*to high of an overclock
*dead components (hd's, cdroms,... etc)

a 300w ps is not enough these days i would look to replace it with something higher end- make sure it is truepower not that neo crap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by foneone

the only time i ever see a system do the power off is when the powersupply cannot supply enough juice (power) to a system.
-it happens for various reasons
*lack of power for normal operation(i think it is your case)
*to high of an overclock
*dead components (hd's, cdroms,... etc)

a 300w ps is not enough these days i would look to replace it with something higher end- make sure it is truepower not that neo crap

Have you had a bad experience with the Neo? Ive only seen good reviews. I have the true power but the cable management system looked appealing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Your PSU is too weak. Especially if it is not a name brand. Your effeciency is probably only like 65% at high temps, so you are probably only able to pull a max of 195 watts on a 300Watter. That is not enough to drive your stuff. Get a 450+ watt PSU and your problems will magically vanish.

I would highly recommend the NeoPower. The TruePower is nice too, but I would like the option to only use the cables I needed.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by n00dle

thnx guys, ill let you know if it worked or not but now im off to comp usa to steal a power supply, BUHHH i mean....purchase >_>

Please let us know what you got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gibant1

Have you had a bad experience with the Neo? Ive only seen good reviews. I have the true power but the cable management system looked appealing.

i had two different computers that had neo ps's and the rails were all over the place...i replaced em and sent them on their way. maybe my experience is the exception to the rule who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
some PSU's are just really unstable. like I had a friend who kept getting memory dumps and explorer crashing on his comp, until he gauged the 350W PSU that came with his Aspire X-Dreamer II and it had NOWHERE near constant voltage. After he bought a 500W Thermaltake off a friend, his comp ran fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi guys, i wound up getting a 480Watt antec true power that has 2 blue led fans FOR FREE because im a magician, but even better, instead of that 1250mhz bull****, im runnin 1800
. once again yall, i appreciate the advice <3


actually guys, umm i might have spoken to soon. when the rig is under high stress it crashes like it use to. im starting to wonder if its because of how i overclocked it, i didnt mess with the multiplier but instead the FSB. i havent tried switching it yet and i dont know if i should or not so ill just wait for one of you helpful people to tell me what to do next. PLEASE HELP ME T_T
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Is it an A or B core? get CPU-Z 2 www.cpuid.com to find out.
What voltage are you upping to? The faster the CPU runs the more you will have to up the voltage! More voltage = more heat, Dont excede 55c under load.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
226 Posts
Is ur Vcard Sapphire 9600XT with light under fan?? I got same prob , the screen turn black when playing game and after a few second it become normal. is VPU recovery, I always got this bullthing. I got an Idea for ya, turn VPU recovery on and dont send error report. When the game crash u just have wait a bit .~15Sec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its an a core, and yeah my agp is locked. but to respond to enterprise, doesnt it strike you as odd that with my old mobo and vid card i could over clock my rig up to 1900ish and it ran fine ON A 300..... i doubt the new vid card and mobo are pulling 200 watts =/. plus that dude dongchen has a 380 watt or something with a stronger processor, clocked way up, so *** is the deal with that

o and for the record, im pretty much a comp hardware nub so suggest away, i might have some things off that should be on and such, nothing is obvious to me.

also ive tried both my stock cooler and my thermaltake one. is there a function that turns the rig off if the cpu gets to hot? because that might be it. but my cpu has never broken 150 even in a hot room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Alright n00dle, Could you please put your spec's in your profile? It is hard to troubleshoot with such a limited amount of info. I am starting to suspect that your problem is three fold.

1. You were using an underpowered PSU. That is taken care of I take it, from your previous posts.

2. I am willing to bet that you are using PC2100 Value RAM. Not good for OC'ing.

3. The Palamino Core (A) Athlon XP 2000 is not a good overclocker. You will be hard pressed to get it past 1.9GHZ without major vCore increases and extreme cooling. Not to mention that it runs very hot to begin with (compared to the Tbred.)

I have a similar set-up with an XP 2000, Kingston PC2100, 350W Antec PSU, Soyo Dragon+ and an FX5900XT (traded in my 9600XT for it!). I can not get the FSB past 150. Keeping it stable is hard, but possible with bumps in the vCore. I would need much better cooling than the Thermaltake Volcano 7 to get any faster than that. Your best bet would be to get some PC3200 RAM, lower your multipler and crank up the FSB. You could push your CPU to its limit and still run your RAM and chipset at stock fequencies. That would give you a very large performance gain.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
The base Wattage rating of a PS is just that and if it's a generic they are usually over rated and cant handle the load!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well you were right about my ram, its a stick of crucial 256 2100 and a stick of micron 256 2100 (yeah i know its rediculous) but i think thats what ima take care of next, probably get 2 sticks of 512 crucial ballistix 4200, but what ev. umm, thnx for all the help guys, i guess im dead in the water for now.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top