Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to put the loop I have been testing into my system and I had a couple questions:<br />
<br />
1) Does the reservoir need to be placed at the highest point in the loop if I intend to be able to bleed the air refill the system from the reservoir? This makes sense to me, but I had never read this anywhere.<br />
<br />
2) When replacing the coolant, how do you drain the system without the coolant going everywhere? Do You really have to take the whole loop out (un-mount all the waterblocks in order to remove it before draining the loop?<br />
<br />
3) I will be going on vacation for a month, which means my system would just be sitting there. I will be using MCT-5 coolant (from Danger Den), do I need to drain the loop before I leave and clean it out (with rubbing alcohol) before I leave in order to avoid corrosion?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance for the advice, it helps to have people that have done this all before - I'll post pics when I've got it all running - it'll be a sweet set-up (no UV though).

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>cyber553</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">I am preparing to put the loop I have been testing into my system and I had a couple questions:<br />
<br />
1) Does the reservoir need to be placed at the highest point in the loop if I intend to be able to bleed the air refill the system from the reservoir? This makes sense to me, but I had never read this anywhere.<br />
<br />
2) When replacing the coolant, how do you drain the system without the coolant going everywhere? Do You really have to take the whole loop out (un-mount all the waterblocks in order to remove it before draining the loop?<br />
<br />
3) I will be going on vacation for a month, which means my system would just be sitting there. I will be using MCT-5 coolant (from Danger Den), do I need to drain the loop before I leave and clean it out (with rubbing alcohol) before I leave in order to avoid corrosion?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance for the advice, it helps to have people that have done this all before - I'll post pics when I've got it all running - it'll be a sweet set-up (no UV though).</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div> 1- yes for general use..<br />
<br />
2-I use one of these Danger Den fil-ports for a drain, T it into the lowest line in your loop... <a href="http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=245&cat=35&page=1" target="_blank">Danger Den :: Misc. Hardware :: Fillports and T-Lines :: Brass Fillport</a><br />
<br />
<br />
3- No need to drain your loop, it will be fine.....EDIT: If your pump is in the lowest part of your loop this isn't really a concern, but make sure your pump has not lost it's prime before restarting after it has set unused for long periods of time..

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
1. your res doesn't have to be at the highest point, but it would help <br />
<br />
2. you can cut the tubing at the lowest point, turn your computer upside down, plumb in a drain... there are a number of ways to drain your loop<br />
<br />
3. you can leave your computer alone for quite some time w/o draining it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts