Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a better way to cool this 5830, without going water.

Are there any good after-market coolers that will work with this card? So far I have found the Zalman VF3000 which looks like it would work, but I want to see what else is out there.

Current GPU idle temp is 43c with an ambient temp of about 82f and fanspeed of 60%, using Zalman STG-1 thermal compound...didn't really drop my temp much. Temps aren't bad at all, but I'd like to open up some room for a little overclocking on this card. Will be purchasing another Sapphire 5830 eventually for crossfire.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Those sapphire cards aren't really meant for overclocking, you won't get "awesome" results by using an aftermarket cooler. The main reason people use the aftermarket coolers is because they provide lower temps with less noise. The cooler on the sapphire 5830 is actually a great cooler, I honestly wouldn't change it out. I think you would find in the end that it was a waste of money.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

Those sapphire cards aren't really meant for overclocking, you won't get "awesome" results by using an aftermarket cooler. The main reason people use the aftermarket coolers is because they provide lower temps with less noise. The cooler on the sapphire 5830 is actually a great cooler, I honestly wouldn't change it out. I think you would find in the end that it was a waste of money.

Yeah, while I had the OEM cooler off I noticed it is pretty good. Decent size fan, big heatsink, heatpipes, copper plated, etc. I guess an after-market cooler wouldn't be much better and gains will likely be minimal at best. Suppose I could stick with it until I decide to build a water-cooling system.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny.dot.exe
View Post

Yeah, while I had the OEM cooler off I noticed it is pretty good. Decent size fan, big heatsink, heatpipes, copper plated, etc. I guess an after-market cooler wouldn't be much better and gains will likely be minimal at best. Suppose I could stick with it until I decide to build a water-cooling system.

The stock cooler on the Sapphire 5830 is very similar to the 5850 Toxic and that's shown by the cooling ability. The only reason you would want to go water or get a better aftermarket cooler is if you were aiming for very high overclocks and to be honest the 5830s are held back by the lack of voltage control although you can mod it not many would, and thus going water or even an aftermarket cooler would be useless, that + the stock cooler is brilliant like i said and dead quiet imo (a friend has the card). I recommend you just stick with the stock and not waste the money.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny.dot.exe
View Post

Found it on newegg, and it's getting pretty bad reviews. Apparently it has been known to brick video cards.

Well I have no idea.. but its probably the same **** as Accelero.. I ordered some to test them and I dont care if it smashes my card (it wont, only ******* that dont take their time **** up their cards)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts