Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2600k this past Friday and everything seemed fine using the stock cooler playing some BF3 beta. But today I brought up Asus Probe utility and EVGAs Precision utility to see how my temps were. I turned on BF3 beta and my temps shot way up. At idle my cpu is at 30-31 but while testing with BF3 it went up to 72 which brought up a warning from my mobo. I dont remember what my 580 went to, around 60 or something.

What sort of temps should I be seeing? This is in a Coolermaster haf 922.

Also whats the best way to monitor temps?

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
for stock cooling 72c aint that bad, I woudl have thought it would be much higher. For temp reading I recommending using realtemp, you can download it from here: http://majorgeeks.com/Real_Temp_d6098.html

Also I do recommend investing in an aftermarket cooler, one that is very popular is the CM 212+, it's cheap and very effective, has the ability to maintain temps well even at a 4.5ghz overclock.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by munaim1
View Post

for stock cooling 72c aint that bad, I woudl have thought it would be much higher. For temp reading I recommending using realtemp, you can download it from here: http://majorgeeks.com/Real_Temp_d6098.html

Also I do recommend investing in an aftermarket cooler, one that is very popular is the CM 212+, it's cheap and very effective, has the ability to maintain temps well even at a 4.5ghz overclock.

hope that helps.

Ok, downloaded realtemp and its reading 10c higher then Asus ProbeII. Realtemp says Im at 40c-43c and Asus ProbeII says 31c.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsinek
View Post

Ok, downloaded realtemp and its reading 10c higher then Asus ProbeII. Realtemp says Im at 40c-43c and Asus ProbeII says 31c.

Probe reads the Tcase temp while real temp reads the core temps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

Probe reads the Tcase temp while real temp reads the core temps.

What is Tcase?

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsinek
View Post

What is Tcase?

The temp out side the shell of the cpu.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

The temp out side the shell of the cpu.

ok, thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just played a couple rounds of BF3 beta Metro map and my temps by the end were...

cpu 87
gpu 80

Are those too high?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Your cpu can operate at those temps for years, but you should still invest in an aftermarket cooler. For home or office use a cpu is not running full tilt for prolonged perids of time - so Intel gives out ok coolers (it saves them money too). Gaming is different and don't even think about overclocking on a stock cooler.
There are a ton of great options out there. If you have never added an aftermarket cooler read up on how to install the TIM. Getting enough thermal grease on, without using too much seems to be a common problem. And it is very important to do that step properly so you get good, even contact/cooling. Don't spread it with your finger either - you don't want finger oil in it.
I've always wrapped a little plastic wrap over my finger tip and then covered the whole cpu top - never trusted the "blob in the middle" approach to spread over the whole chip.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
472 Posts
87 is way too much, buy at least coolermaster hyper 212+ which is not that expensive..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i guess ill go ahead and buy something. been spending money out the anus on this build so why stop now. thermalright archon. just dont know if itll fit my mobo.

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Go for the 212+ which I mentioned in my first post. You can see how it compaers with the other coolers in the stable club. Link is in my sig, scroll to the top of the spreadsheet and select by cooling and you should be able to find info that'll help you pick a cooler.

Hope that helps
thumb.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts