Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably asking a stupid question here, as i am sure that if there was an easy answer everybody would be using it......

Is there a way to cool the water in your resevoir? Short of sticking it in your freezer that it!!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
put it maybe on cold tileor cold surface. other then that.....fridge

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

put it maybe on cold tileor cold surface. other then that.....fridge

How about getting one of those portable fridges and using it as the resevoir?

The only thing that worries me, is that if the water is cooled below ambient temps, isn't there a chance of condensation? Which means using that grease over your mobo, which means u might aswell go the pelt route?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

How about getting one of those portable fridges and using it as the resevoir?

The only thing that worries me, is that if the water is cooled below ambient temps, isn't there a chance of condensation? Which means using that grease over your mobo, which means u might aswell go the pelt route?

i have a small fridge as my radiator/watercooler thing. it cools the water very well, but there no condensation. alot of people say its not a good idea to use fridges because they arent very strong and will burn out if u use em like that, but my little one is working just fine, and cooling he water with a HD waterblock attached to the freezer part

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
id just put the radiatior in the fridge.... it would yeild best results

if you have a pump-block-res-rad-pump configuration because when the cold water goes thru the radiator the radiatior will accually be warming i

I dont mean warming but higher temp then if you had the rad and a fan in a fridge

thats just my

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The best way to do would be to cool the water normaly with a radiator and then run it throug the fridge with another radiators or a hard drive block, that way you lower the stress on the fridge so it doesn't burn out.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
if its a mini fridge for like 2 cokes it uses a pelt to cool it and it doesnt work that great.... never reach below 50°f for a can of soda so i doubt it would cool the block that well moving warm water through it...

real fridge should take the abuse though...
despite what some people think fridges are work horses they are designed to last for over 5 years but realisticly they should last 20+ years
thats why they dont have an OFF switch

if you got a true fridge it should work fine to cool it just run some copper tubing through the side and then coil it so that you have a huge surface area inside the fridge or you could put a rad or 5 radiators in the fridge, make sure you use some antifreez though

if your tubes are thick enuff there shouldnt be condensation but im not 100% on that....

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're gonna use a fridge to cool the water/'coolant' in the resevior, you should have it set up PUMP-BLOCK-RAD-RES-PUMP... That way the pump is drawing cold water directly to the block. And if tubing-length is an issue (ie. your pump wont push the water that far) just cut the res out of the picture and put the rad in the fridge... Make sure you plum the lines through the side with grommets too (unless you're gonna run them out the fridge-door somehow)...

*edit - by 'BLOCK', I mean the water-block on the CPU...

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
this is what my water cooling system is.....my water is cooled by a minifridge(1.8 cubic foot) with a harddrive block as the radiator that is attached directly to the freezer element at the top where it can have the most effect and cool the fastest. it works very well, and if u put a couple blocks instead of just one ulll get even better results. but really u dont need to worry about condensation much, exept maybe ontop of the cpu waterblock, but none on the cpu cuz it never gets that cold. anyway, the larger the fridge the more cooling u get, and more surface area touching the better also. its working great for me...and u can see my OC...max temps are 47, but thats cuz the systems based on a aquarious 2 system lol

and NO..... the order should be pump-radia-block-pump so the cool water goes through as little area as posible

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

... and NO..... the order should be pump-radia-block-pump so the cool water goes through as little area as posible

Do you understand the principles of cooling and mechanical water-flow...? 1st, you want the coolant to cover/pass through as much 'area' as possible for maximum cooling. 2nd, the pump should be as close to the water-block as possible to allow maximum flow over the block...

Think about it, does the water-pump on a car push the coolant through the radiator first, or through the engine block...???

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
no, i mean u want lots of surface area COOLING, but not it traveling through lots of tubes and a pump too. u want the radiator to cool the water that should go straight to the block so it dussnt warm up. and for the pump being after the waterblock...it wont kill it...were talking like 1 gpm.....over 5*c on the water...your choice

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
yea you want the pump to pull the water from the radiator so it will be the coldest temps

if you leave it in the res first of all the water wont be passing thru the radiator as fast which will cause restriction and second you will lose

temps from the water not going directly to the block instead of it going to the res first then pump then block .... correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
137 Posts
What I'm saying is that if your gonna put the rad and/or the res in a fridge, you should have them in the order I said... And thats why the rad should be after the block, right where the water temp rises... And you could also get another pump to put between the res & rad in the fridge to keep flow-rate up...

* and if your tubes are long enough (going to the fridge), you probably wouldnt need a res anyway... Just the rad in the freezer would do...

*edit - I sorta agree with the idea of putting the pump between the block and rad know...
pump-rad-block-pump for freezer set-up...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
IMO, all of you are wasting your time. The compressors in refrigerators are not designed to run 24/7, much less with a large heat load on it. Sure, your water temps might drop a few degrees, but will it help your oc? I don't think so. Plus, those tiny fridges with the peltier in them won't cool for crap, just a waste of money. I wouldn't even bother with the expense if I were you.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
well lando, im using a smaller normal compressor fridge and it works fine for me as long as i run a fan to cool it. and it definatly helped my oc cuz im using a aquarious 2 system....so it helps..
and boul, im glad your seeing what im talking about.....but it depends if its a reservoir, or its a radiator

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

cuz im using a aquarious 2 system....so it helps..

No offense, but that is exactly why it helped your oc. The Aq-2 just doesnt have the cooling capacity for modern cpus, so the mini-fridge would help in that situation. Let me rephrase: if using top of the line water cooling components in conjunction with high heat producing cpus, a mini-fridge will not help much, if at all.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
o yeah...but il get a DD system pretty soon, just too layz....and it seems i have a little higher clock then u there....but i guess i have an advantage...i have a beter cpu, and i have a Aquarious 2!!!!haha just kidding....but i still think fridges work welll

1 - 18 of 18 Posts