Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what would be best for cooling the x800gto with a r420 core? i can run water but i do have the evercool wc202 set up.....i dont mind a fan but i want something semi quiet as ive had it with the delta fans i use to have...

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
If you are willing to go with air you can use the VF700Cu. Possibly the best cooler out there and is rather quiet too. I have one on my flashed GTO2.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will it fit the r420 core though and what about the artic cooler is that better...i would even consider water cooling since i have the evercool 202.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
All GTO cards have the same basic layout regardless of what core they use. I don't have much experience with watercooling so I can't help you much in that area. However, I can tell you that the only thing better than the VF700CU would be water.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Melcar knocked this one right on the head I have a VF700 on my sapphire gto2 and it works the balls. I bought an artic cooler once and it was :turd: people like them and I'm sure that some work well but the first one I bought sucked so I never gave them another chance.

·
Space Cadet
455 Posts
I just Put the VF-700 ALCU on a Sapphire x800GTO works Great I get 490 core and 570 Mem easy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so the al model or alcu model cause i like the idea of having a blue led in there.....hope to use this in the future also on other chipsets i purchase if possible. when the 1800xt comes in to real terms of affording like $250 lmao

·
Banned
658 Posts
I have to LED model and it adds a cool look, I wouldnt reccomend using this on a high end card such as the x1800 du to the high temps that card wyould put out and also this setup does not have active memory cooling, but zalman is coming out with new models that might work.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i had the vf700alcu and it dropped temps a bit but didnt help oc at all. i installed water cooling and temps dropped 10-15 degrees and helped a bit with max oc. zalman is nice if you dont want water though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well let me ask you this if i went water then i would need something that would work with my current system. and what about the ram just use the same ocz heat sinks that i have been using or what?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so whats a good water block for one of these cards so i can order one? and does anyone know what size of tubes i have? i think that i read that they are 3/8" can anyone confirm this as this is my first little water cooling setup and well i would like to expand now that i know more about it... thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i got a vf700led fan ordered today from newegg and moded my case to fit a 120mm fan in the front instead of the 2 80mm's so i hope with these and the card cooler i should be good to go as my case temps and all went down 4-6F degrees doing this so thats not bad i guess and if i can cool off the gpu and that memory on it then i might be able to do some good overclocking.im almost past the 6k mark in 3dmark05 so im happy...have to post the results after i get the cooler thanks alot again to everyone that responded

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the cooler is awesome so far havent tried overclocking it anymore yet but will just trying to heat and cool the as5 for the day and then start on it this weekend and see if i can get that magic 6k right now though my temps on the card as ati tool reports it is GPU min 31.3 max 48.9 avg 35.7 thats after a hour loop of 3dmark05 gpu enviroment min 28 max 31.8 avg 34.2

but what im shocked about is that the temps are so low and this is at a OC of 533x567mem...awesome cooler by far im way happy thank you and ill keep you up on what i can get for a OC this weekend sometime

1 - 14 of 14 Posts