Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a new thread for people wanting advise on cooling their VRM's with a fan. It's a question that crops up a lot. The thread is here so anyone wanting an example can have a look and those who have done it can can post their examples. I will also cover fans on the back of the CPU blowing on to the CPU plate and the back of the VRM's and fans on the North-bridge cooler.

My case is a HAF 922 and I have a Saberkitty with fans on the VRM's, the North-bridge and the back of the board.

Here's the fans I have on my VRM's on the Sabertooth 990FX R.2

Fan on VRM and Northbridge-1

Here's the fan on the back of the board,

fan blowing onto rear of mobo to cool socket and rear of vrms

I have tied the fans with zip-ties to any available cable or mounting point.

Because of the way my Corsair H80i is mounted I have a pocket of air where the VRM's are that needed to be shifted, I mounted a fan on the back of my case where the I/O cover should be to pull the air blown by my fan onto VRMs out of the case.

rear fan with cables in place

I know this works with most boards, here's my old Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 Rev.5 with fans mounted on the VRM's and north-bridge and south-bridge.

30mm fan hot-glued to southbridge ( fan shroud slightly cut away so will fit behind hd7770 graphics card
40mm fan hot-glued to northbridge
amd cooler fan blowing on to vrm cooler

There are some very good examples on this site and if anyone can help out by posting their pictures I would be grateful.

Cheers

Mike The Owl

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry I know this thread is old, but I found it on a Google search. I wish there were more entries! Mike, did you cut that hole in your case in which you have the fan mounted behind the VRMs? Maybe you purchased it like that.

-David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts