Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, I have been getting some rather high cpu temps (3700+ stock clocking) . I have 3 120 mm fans, 1 in, 2 out, in my P180 case. Along with the venus 12 that i have cooling my cpu. What I wanted to know is how much does lapping really reduce temps by, and I was looking at getting a 80mm to 120mm fan adapter so I can maybe 1) reduce some of the noise given off by the fan on the venus and 2) maybe reduce the temps by a couple of degrees or so. Also how do you apply your thermal grease? I put a BB sized dot in the middle and lowered the HSF on top , and clamped it down. Is spreading it a better method? Thanks!!

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh i forgot to tell you my temps right now. i have 33-36*C idle and around 46*C full load, running prime95 for like and hour. also I noticed that the slightest bit of cpu activity, sends the temps up right away.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Those temps sound okay for your current heatsink. And, it all depends on what thermal paste you are using. Did you use the stuff that came with the HSF? Or did you use AS5? If you used the stock stuff, you should replace it with AS5, and apply it the same way you did with the other stuff you used (if you didn't use AS5). Also, if you didn't use AS5, ceramic thermal compound works best when it is evenly applied over the IHS, not just dab, clamp and forget (AS5 method).
edit: And welcome to the forums.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, yeah im using ac5. Im getting a lapping kit tuesday, so when i remount the HSF Ill try spreading it over the entire processor. Also do you think I could benefit from getting a Big Typhoon over the venus 12?

·
Registered
679 Posts
complete coverage is a good idea if your HSF doesn't lower uniformly. you could always use a duct to channel air from the front or back of your case to the HSF and you should get dramatically lower temps. Just an idea

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
im not sure how much of a temp difference you will see with lapping the cpu, becasue i have never done it, but i would think it will help by a few degrees... and yes the big typhoon will make a huge difference! its the best hsf out for air cooling

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomasro

complete coverage is a good idea if your HSF doesn't lower uniformly. you could always use a duct to channel air from the front or back of your case to the HSF and you should get dramatically lower temps. Just an idea

One problem, you would need to use an 80-120mm adapter, and attach it to your intake, which would take all the dust from out side, and push it through the CPU HSF. Ducts only work if they are not attached to a case intake or outtake fan, they work best mounted to a custom cut top blowhole. I would reccomend that you upgrade to a Big Typhoon though. They are said to be the best performing non-custom air CPU cooler.

·
Registered
679 Posts
if you really don't car if you lose your hearing though...this goes for all over clockers...I found a great fan for y'all...120mm...220 CFM...64dba...Nidec VA50DC

you'll get some massive cooling for your little cpu cooler

EDIT: BTW, the P180 has a blow hole...a 120mm blow hole...hence the suggestion

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

if you really don't car if you lose your hearing though...this goes for all over clockers...I found a great fan for y'all...120mm...220 CFM...64dba...Nidec VA50DC

you'll get some massive cooling for your little cpu cooler

EDIT: BTW, the P180 has a blow hole...a 120mm blow hole...hence the suggestion

ya ive seen that, but have you looked at the power requirments for that thing!!! it will prolly short something out if u plug that into your mobo....

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you know if newegg would take back the venus 12? Also with ducting the cpu the P180 has dust filters on the front 120mm intake ( Tomasro knows what Im talking about) so i don't think dust would cause too much of a problem if i did it that way. My case temps are pretty chilly hdd 22-24*C ambient case 22-24*C

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
with a filter you will have no problem.... ducting does a great job at lower temps for a few dollars... and u might have to get a shroud that will take to 120mm fan size and let u hook up 80mm ducting to it..

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have some dryer vent ducting that i might rig up tonight with some duct tape. and see how that works. Im just not sure how much room i have to fit the ducting, figured i would go from the front duct to the cpu. The only thing is the 7800gt is huge. I think I have to take a better look at it. Also if I put it from the top blowhole fan, Is the one 120mm fan out the back gonna be enough?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92

do you know if newegg would take back the venus 12? Also with ducting the cpu the P180 has dust filters on the front 120mm intake ( Tomasro knows what Im talking about) so i don't think dust would cause too much of a problem if i did it that way. My case temps are pretty chilly hdd 22-24*C ambient case 22-24*C

the fan could always be plugged into a regular 4 pin connector or a fanbus to controll the noise and that way the power would be from the PSU, not the mobo

Definately go with the Big Typhoon over the Venus...I'm getting mine soon and I can't wait...newegg had the lowest price as usual! Call em and ask about an exchange!

Quote:

I have some dryer vent ducting that i might rig up tonight with some duct tape. and see how that works. Im just not sure how much room i have to fit the ducting, figured i would go from the front duct to the cpu. The only thing is the 7800gt is huge. I think I have to take a better look at it. Also if I put it from the top blowhole fan, Is the one 120mm fan out the back gonna be enough?

make sure it is clean before you hook it up...otherwise you'll run the risk of clogging your HSF with lint instead of nice cool air
and make sure there is a good seal, otherwise, your ducting will be for not and it'll just get in the way of all your cables and such.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

sounds like a plan to me... go for it and tell us how it works, even post some pics for us too!

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

make sure it is clean before you hook it up...otherwise you'll run the risk of clogging your HSF with lint instead of nice cool air
and make sure there is a good seal, otherwise, your ducting will be for not and it'll just get in the way of all your cables and such.

LOL yea I have some new ducting in the box.
How much better cooling is the BT over venus 12?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I just realized something, The ducting I have is all metal, Im pretty sure that it won't work so well, touching all the circuit and the like. So I might have to scratch this project for now, until I can get to home depot and get some plastic ducting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

alot!!! probably like 10c+

wow you really think that much, dam. I think I might have some ordering to do tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
im not positive about the temps...u will probably run around 40c load. But the metal duckting is fin as long as it is grounded to the chassis and u dont scape it up against any of the circuit boards...

·
Registered
679 Posts
well, best of luck...

btw...did you use the psu fan as an intake for the upper chamber? if so, how did you make that happen?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what do you guys think about putting a vent from outside my house to the case then to the cpu? Is there a way to get rid of the moisture that would come in with the air?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts