AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[legitreviews.com source]

[coolitsystems.com source]

Quote:

Boreas Chiller
12TEC Chiller Unit

CoolIT Systems most powerful Chiller Unit now available as a stand alone unit ready to be plumbed into your own custom liquid cooling setup. Utilize the power of CoolIT Systems patented MTECâ„¢ technology in your own customized set up. Features 1/4 inch barbs. Powerful enough to cool your CPU, GPUs and even your chipsets.

[maximumpc.com source]

Apparently it's really hungry (obviously) and loud...

Quote:

At its peak, the giant cooler pulls in 130 watts of juice... and turns you deaf, as the two attached 120 CFM fans redefine the notion of "kicking it into high gear."

Quote:

Heck, I was even able to get the coolant itself down to a pleasing 25 degrees (on an idle system, mind you). Which reminds me; the software package that powers the entire deal, CoolIT's MTEC Control Center, is unequivocally badass. And simple. All you need to do is pick a temperature that you want the coolant to hover around, and the Boreas will take care of the rest by automatically raising or lowering the fan speeds.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Hmmm...looks worthwhile

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Coolant at 25C? That doesn't sound real great. What was ambiant? Whats the coolest it can get on load?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Expensive, loud...bleh

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
Coolant at 25C? That doesn't sound real great. What was ambiant? Whats the coolest it can get on load?
It's pretty impressive with both a GTX/Ultra and a CPU (most likely quad-core in that rig) and having 25C, even if the ambient's 10C it's still impressive.

Sounds interesting, might as well replace my rear radiators with this, wonder if I can get the unit without the blocks. The interesting thing is that you don't need to insulate the stuffs since the TECs aren't on the hardwares directly.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
It's pretty impressive with both a GTX/Ultra and a CPU (most likely quad-core in that rig) and having 25C, even if the ambient's 10C it's still impressive.

Sounds interesting, might as well replace my rear radiators with this, wonder if I can get the unit without the blocks. The interesting thing is that you don't need to insulate the stuffs since the TECs aren't on the hardwares directly.
15 C over ambient at idle with that thing would definetly NOT be impressive. I idle 10 C over ambient and I'm not using that crap.

I have a better idea. Turn on your AC to 18C. That'll get your temps down immediately. Although that might be more expensive in the long run ^_^.

Also, That's going to be a ***** to place into a custom WC. It's 1/4 inch barbs, so if you're in a high flow 1/2" or 7/16" ID system, you're screwed, you're gonna get so much restriction the chiller's effect will be downregulated, IMHO. Unless you placed an additional series pump, but that's another added expense and.....

like my friend Dr4gon says, just get a custom kit

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
For once they made something that actually looks good...

Or better than the normal crap they make.

I bet it is crazy expensive though, too lazy to look at article lol...

I don't under why they don't sell a TEC water loop instead... Put a TEC on the CPU and WC the TEC, wouldn't that be much more efficient and provide better cooling?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezixn View Post

I don't under why they don't sell a TEC water loop instead... Put a TEC on the CPU and WC the TEC, wouldn't that be much more efficient and provide better cooling?
Because that would require some math and expert experience due to the difficulty of TECs in the first place.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
This is going to retail at around £200 not including blocks and £300 including blocks according to Aqua PCs

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
I say go the brute force route, get like 5 fm121's with 110 CFM, and aim them directly at the gpu.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeraphil View Post
15 C over ambient at idle with that thing would definetly NOT be impressive. I idle 10 C over ambient and I'm not using that crap.

I have a better idea. Turn on your AC to 18C. That'll get your temps down immediately. Although that might be more expensive in the long run ^_^.

Also, That's going to be a ***** to place into a custom WC. It's 1/4 inch barbs, so if you're in a high flow 1/2" or 7/16" ID system, you're screwed, you're gonna get so much restriction the chiller's effect will be downregulated, IMHO. Unless you placed an additional series pump, but that's another added expense and.....

like my friend Dr4gon says, just get a custom kit
Looking at that system again, it's GTX/Ultra in SLI. Sure the entire Boreas system might not be that great, but the TEC unit itself can make a good "radiator". It's rated to take 600W of heat while using maximum of 130W. The moderator over at the CoolIT forums confirmed that this can indeed run off of a regular 12V rail on the PSU, plus I doubt the ambient was really 10C anyway.

Using this as part of a custom loop would be rather interesting despite the 1/4" barbs. After all the higher pressure in this unit might cool the liquid down a bit more. Dual pumps with this sound good.

After all, TEC is an expensive toy. Once I get one, it'll receive a dedicated DDC w/ Petra's top, followed by another DDC and a GTS 240 to make sure the heat gtho before touching my Stinger and 8800.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosser13
View Post

This is going to retail at around £200 not including blocks and £300 including blocks according to Aqua PCs

I dont know if you have ever seen a coolit systems product before, but they are a sealed system, there is no need to buy blocks, it comes with them...

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noshibby
View Post

I dont know if you have ever seen a coolit systems product before, but they are a sealed system, there is no need to buy blocks, it comes with them...

Basically he just meant that you can buy the TEC chiller separately or the entire "sealed" system.

It's nice that they do this so I can......muahahahaha.

·
Banned
342 Posts
All credit to CoolIT systems for the innovation and creating something for a semi-enthusiast market, but it's a joke.

So we've idle 25C and load 40C, with 110CFM fans (read: bleeding ears), on a stock QX6700 and GTX SLI. Forgive me for not being impressed.

It would appear to be tuned for Quad+GTX SLI loads, now that's all well and good, but what happens when you overclock. TEC coolers have a useful performance bracket where they work well, but go past that, and they seriously kick up a fuss (read: overheat). You only have to look at their forums and notice those having problems with Freezone's and Freezone Elite's that are being offered 'upgrade paths' after CoolIT have already got their money out of them.

Notice how everywhere that has looked at one, including NordicHardware, who I trust to really put the unit under some pressure (not "MaximumPC"), haven't OC'd the CPU or GPU's yet. This tells me all I need to know, which is that this product isn't intended for me, or most of us.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie P View Post
All credit to CoolIT systems for the innovation and creating something for a semi-enthusiast market, but it's a joke.

So we've idle 25C and load 40C, with 110CFM fans (read: bleeding ears), on a stock QX6700 and GTX SLI. Forgive me for not being impressed.

It would appear to be tuned for Quad+GTX SLI loads, now that's all well and good, but what happens when you overclock. TEC coolers have a useful performance bracket where they work well, but go past that, and they seriously kick up a fuss (read: overheat). You only have to look at their forums and notice those having problems with Freezone's and Freezone Elite's that are being offered 'upgrade paths' after CoolIT have already got their money out of them.

Notice how everywhere that has looked at one, including NordicHardware, who I trust to really put the unit under some pressure (not "MaximumPC"), haven't OC'd the CPU or GPU's yet. This tells me all I need to know, which is that this product isn't intended for me, or most of us.
Considering the load heat from 2x G80's and a quad all together, 40C is pretty impressive altogether. Most of us can't even get a 40C load on watercooling with one GTX. When they say 40C load it isn't just the CPU, it means all 3 chips (1x quad, 2x G80). I believe they did mention "coolant temp" so that's really something. I'm still stunned that it uses no more than 130W total, it has to be the most efficient TEC chiller.

As prosser mentioned, you can get the chiller alone without the crappy blocks. Wouldn't it be great when used in place of a radiator with high-end blocks and pumps?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
I wonder if the Freezone is better for the CPU instead of this?

·
Banned
342 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
Considering the load heat from 2x G80's and a quad all together, 40C is pretty impressive altogether. Most of us can't even get a 40C load on watercooling with one GTX. When they say 40C load it isn't just the CPU, it means all 3 chips (1x quad, 2x G80). I believe they did mention "coolant temp" so that's really something. I'm still stunned that it uses no more than 130W total, it has to be the most efficient TEC chiller.

As prosser mentioned, you can get the chiller alone without the crappy blocks. Wouldn't it be great when used in place of a radiator with high-end blocks and pumps?
The only way you wouldn't be able to maintain a 10C delta above ambient is if you don't do your maths. Ask Marci

Fair enough, care to comment my points about overclocking and the state of your eardrums?

Also, £200 for a radiator would make it 4x more expensive than a PA120.3...

Let me see, Custom WC loop vs Boreas with a QX6850 @ 3.6Ghz and GTX's at 640/2100. I know where my money's going.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie P View Post
The only way you wouldn't be able to maintain a 10C delta above ambient is if you don't do your maths. Ask Marci

Fair enough, care to comment my points about overclocking and the state of your eardrums?

Also, £200 for a radiator would make it 4x more expensive than a PA120.3...

Let me see, Custom WC loop vs Boreas with a QX6850 @ 3.6Ghz and GTX's at 640/2100. I know where my money's going.
I, for one, do not care much about costs. I never said the entire Boreas system is good. I'm only saying that the TEC chiller by itself is good when assisted with custom goodies. That large delta most likely comes from the 1/4" tubings and cheap blocks and pump. But if I were to make it flow much faster, this could be quite handy.

I'm quite sure the PA120.3 can't beat this when this TEC chiller is used in place of a radiator in a custom loop. Apparently you had to jump to personal attack without any consideration of the last statement in my last post. My eardrums are perfectly fine, thanks for asking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.