1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

Solder some fins on that puppy for some serious cooling

Exactly. I was thinking that the resevoir could take up 1x 5 1/2" bay, and then there could be fins on top with a 120mm fan strapped to them, which occupies another 5 1/2" bay.

I think that really might help with temps.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Solder isn't the most thermaly conductive thing in the world you know, and if you're a perfectionist like me, haveing some junky looking copper box covered in solder inside your case would really annoy you

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I still like my idea
And will probably implement it when I get water cooling.

Yeah, i'm a perfectionist too, so i like your idea...

Now where on earth could i get a copper reservoir....i certainly cant make it...no tools.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
it isn't that hard to make... bend some thin copper, make a circle of it, like this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Yeah, i'm a perfectionist too, so i like your idea...

Now where on earth could i get a copper reservoir....i certainly cant make it...no tools.

·
Registered
148 Posts
im pretty sure theres solder out here with silver in it (60/40 or somethin like that, but expensive) u could also braze the fins on. brazing rods are made out of brass n copper i beleive might help with thermal conductivity. i think this is a great idea btw! basically like having 2 radiators!

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I am having a hard time understanding why you would want to do this, other than the look-cool factor. I don't think it would really help temps very much, as the water doesnt stay in the res long enough to do anything. It might help a little, but personally I don't think it would be worth the time and effort. The reason a heatercore works so well is that is splits the water up into about 3-6 channels per side of the heatercore. This really increases the surface area, and all those fins do a great job of dissipating the heat. Anyway, if done right it would look uber-sweet, but I just don't think it would actually help temps any.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Instead of using a copper resivoir, which woulden't have much surface area..

why not use liek 4 foot of 1/2" copper?

I have 6 foot of it in my setup, and it barley restricts flow..
I blow through it, and its barley restricted.. I blow thruogh 2 foot of 1/4" tubing, and its WAY more restrictive...

Im thinkin of rebuilding this one, so its smaller, and will fit in front of my 4 fton case fans inside my case...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.