Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting together my plans for my new build.

I know that the only difference is the the 2500k has 4 less threads than the 2600k.

My question is will i miss those 4 threads.

Rig is for gaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
I guess you mean the i5 2500k vs the i7 2600k. If you overclock it to 4.5 Ghz or more you probably won't notice the difference gaming, although the 2600k is faster. You'll probably only see performance decreases if you are using sli or crossfire and you need an extremely fast cpu to avoid bottlenecking your gpu setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziKarl;15349034
I guess you mean the i5 2500k vs the i7 2600k. If you overclock it to 4.5 Ghz or more you probably won't notice the difference gaming, although the 2600k is faster. You'll probably only see performance decreases if you are using sli or crossfire and you need an extremely fast cpu to avoid bottlenecking your gpu setup
It would still have to be a game that can utilize more than 4 threads. Even then, the difference won't make the game unplayable. That $100 would make a bigger difference if applied towards the GPU or an SSD. 2500K is already way overkill for gaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziKarl;15349034
I guess you mean the i5 2500k vs the i7 2600k. If you overclock it to 4.5 Ghz or more you probably won't notice the difference gaming, although the 2600k is faster. You'll probably only see performance decreases if you are using sli or crossfire and you need an extremely fast cpu to avoid bottlenecking your gpu setup
Well i am looking to tri sli 470s.

Would the i5 2500k be ok if i oc it alot?

Plus i would have anti virus stuff in the background.

But i have a fast ssd for my o/s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxdex2020;15349101
Well i am looking to tri sli 470s.

Would the i5 2500k be ok if i oc it alot?

Plus i would have anti virus stuff in the background.

But i have a fast ssd for my o/s.
an OCed 2500k is more than enough for that, throw the extra savings into something else like cooling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
yup 100% agree if you are gaming just go for the 2500k then put the money saved towards your video cards or something else.

however if you are like me and encode videos pretty much every day those extra 4 threads are totally worth it.

in the end it comes down to what you do with your pc......or if you just want bragging rights
 

·
MegaTechPC
Joined
·
19,215 Posts
For epeen you gotta get that i7 yo!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
most cases 2500k is better value.. does well with games and even benching.. however if you have work or something integral to what you need to do with your system that will utilize more than 4c/4t then get the 2600k
 

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
Joined
·
11,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxdex2020;15348990
Just putting together my plans for my new build.

I know that the only difference is the the 2500k has 4 less threads than the 2600k.

My question is will i miss those 4 threads.

Rig is for gaming.
No, that is not the only difference. The i7 2600k has 8 MB of L3 cache, whereas the i5 2500k has 6 MB of L3 cache.

Having said that, there are games where the i7 2600k performs worse than the i5 2500k because of HT, in a few it is practically a tie and in others it wins. Only a test with HT off on the i7 2600k would clarify the importance of HT versus extra cache vs 100 Mhz extra stock clockspeed in the games it wins.

If yo want the best price / performance ratio, the i5 2500k is the best choice, it overclocks as well as the i7 2600k and it will handle three GTX470 in SLI just fine.
 

·
Initializing...
Joined
·
23,794 Posts
i5 2500k overclocks better from what I hear.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top