Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there intel users, im looking at my first intel build since years back when owning a P4 extreme.

what i would like to know is what is the difference between buying the new sandybridge rather than say a 1366 i7

i really dont know much about new intel systems as i have no experiance with them....

this is what i have been looking at: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=6&subcat=1859
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,322 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Adam23
View Post

hey there intel users, im looking at my first intel build since years back when owning a P4 extreme.

what i would like to know is what is the difference between buying the new sandybridge rather than say a 1366 i7

i really dont know much about new intel systems as i have no experiance with them....

this is what i have been looking at: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=6&subcat=1859

1366 is old news now although still very good, 1155 sandybridge i7 cpu's are brand new and cost around the same if not cheaper than 1366 i7 cpu's,

sandbridge cpu's are also faster unless you want to spend $$$$$ on a 1366 i7 980x cpu

If your into overclocking make sure you go for the (k) series cpu's ie: i7 2600k or i5 2500k

the non k series cpus are locked for overclocking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so its just they are faster then...?

any new power saves etc, i only ask as i can actually get a 970 from my friend for literally the same price as that new 2600.

incase anyones wondering why so cheap, its because he is leaving the country and leaving all behind so said if i want it i can have it for that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,660 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Adam23
View Post

so its just they are faster then...?

any new power saves etc, i only ask as i can actually get a 970 from my friend for literally the same price as that new 2600.

If you can get a 970 for cheap than get that, forget SB!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,322 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Adam23
View Post

so its just they are faster then...?

any new power saves etc, i only ask as i can actually get a 970 from my friend for literally the same price as that new 2600.

Yes there are other features, Everything you need to know

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...600K_i5_2500K/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by purpleannex
View Post

Yeah i can buy i7 980x's for the same price as SB too.

If you're multi threading, sure get the 970, but if your playing games...

maybe i should of put that, yes this will be for my gaming machine...

EDIT: forget the fact that i can get the i7 1366 for cheap, and im buying either from a retailer, which one?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Games have never really been heavily multi-threaded applications, so normally you would see dual-cores in gaming machines. But with how cheap quad cores are now it just makes sense to pick one up, as games are evolving to use more cores.

As for the manufacturing tech, I would go with the newest thing available, which in this case is Sandy Bridge. It isn't much more than current 1366/1156 CPU's but the platform is more future proof (but nothing is completely future proof) it is just more so than 1366/1156. Plus the 1155 CPU's seem to perform better in games, while using less energy, staying cooler, and being able to overclock higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis
View Post

Games have never really been heavily multi-threaded applications, so normally you would see dual-cores in gaming machines. But with how cheap quad cores are now it just makes sense to pick one up, as games are evolving to use more cores.

As for the manufacturing tech, I would go with the newest thing available, which in this case is Sandy Bridge. It isn't much more than current 1366/1156 CPU's but the platform is more future proof (but nothing is completely future proof) it is just more so than 1366/1156. Plus the 1155 CPU's seem to perform better in games, while using less energy, staying cooler, and being able to overclock higher.

so maybe a silly question, but what difference would i see going from my PII 965 to the 2600 sandy...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Imo get the 2500k, should be cheaper than the 2600 or 2600k and will have about the same performance in games. Also it will allow you to overclock if you feel the need in the future.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Adam23
View Post

so maybe a silly question, but what difference would i see going from my PII 965 to the 2600 sandy...?

You probably wont see much unless you are really picky about how your games run, however if you want to see some comparison graphs Anandtech has this nice tool with several games benchmarked with these 2 CPU's.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...49.50.60.61.62

Quote:


Originally Posted by the.FBI
View Post

Imo get the 2500k, should be cheaper than the 2600 or 2600k and will have about the same performance in games. Also it will allow you to overclock if you feel the need in the future.

I would second this, you don't really need the 2600k for games... the 2600k is more for heavily multi-threaded apps like 3D rendering or encoding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis
View Post

You probably wont see much unless you are really picky about how your games run, however if you want to see some comparison graphs Anandtech has this nice tool with several games benchmarked with these 2 CPU's.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...49.50.60.61.62


wow that was helpful, the difference was less than expected with games such as fallout, however the other benefits are certainly making me think of getting the intel, just one example being the power which would also lead to be quieter im guessing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by purpleannex
View Post

I'd buy the i5-2500k, i was really tempted to order one from Scan last night, mobo, cpu and ram £368. Would've been here monday.

looking at that cpu comparison from Semper Fidelis i believe that even the i5 2500k is still a very good cpu yes, i think that will be the one for me


motherboard hunting time


Thanks guys
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Adam23
View Post

P67 or H67 motherboard?

If you want to be able to overclock, you want to go P67. H67 is if you want to use the integrated graphics processor in the CPU (which isn't very good).

But I did hear something about the H67 being able to OC as well, but that still doesn't mean that that the onboard graphics is good... so you are just paying for features you probably won't use.

Also here is the 2500k vs 965 if you were curious:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...49.50.60.61.62

And here is the 2600k vs 2500k:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...0.60.61.62.129

As you can see the 2500k (grey bar) is actually ahead in some games, and that is even at stock clocks where it is 3.3GHz vs 3.4GHz of the i7 2600k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis
View Post

If you want to be able to overclock, you want to go P67. H67 is if you want to use the integrated graphics processor in the CPU (which isn't very good).

But I did hear something about the H67 being able to OC as well, but that still doesn't mean that that the onboard graphics is good... so you are just paying for features you probably won't use.

Also here is the 2500k vs 965 if you were curious:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...49.50.60.61.62

And here is the 2600k vs 2500k:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...0.60.61.62.129

As you can see the 2500k (grey bar) is actually ahead in some games, and that is even at stock clocks where it is 3.3GHz vs 3.4GHz of the i7 2600k.

well il be using my HD 6970 so i guess P67

also i see that as well as being as good as the i7 2600 it is certainly worth it compared to buying the 1366 i7 i mentioned, and the best thing, The Price! nice and cheap aint it....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,034 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DorkSterr
View Post

If you can get a 970 for cheap than get that, forget SB!

+1
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top