Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So on my gaming laptop I have a core i7 3610QM. Non-turbo speed is 2.3 Ghz, and turbo is 3.3 ghz. Quite a bit of difference in speeds.

Problem is that during most games that utilize all 4 threads, it actually doesn't seem to turbo boost to the appropriate speed; i.e. it stays at 2.3 ghz. Out of games it varies widely between 2.3 - 3.3 ghz but in games it always seems to be stuck at 2.3 ghz.

Any ideas why, and what I could maybe do to fix it?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
The simplest way would be to disable turbo and overclock to 3.3 (or more).

·
Still kinda lost
3,407 Posts
Use throttle stop

·
Still kinda lost
3,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiemal View Post

And also according to XTU it's not thermal throttling either.
Just google a program called Throttle stop its a necessity for gaming laptops in my opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I did some more tests with throttle stop and read a bit, and turns out that when my Nvidia GPU is running turbo boost seems to turn off. Throttlestop doesn't seem to help, either.

Edit: Rather, it does help but I have to turn it on and off again every time I start a game, otherwise turbo boost becomes disabled.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiemal View Post

Rather, it does help but I have to turn it on and off again every time I start a game, otherwise turbo boost becomes disabled.
Some laptops are designed to automatically disable Intel Turbo Boost soon after you start gaming. It does this to reduce heat and I guess most manufacturers thought that users would never notice this trick because they would be too busy playing the game. As soon as you exit the game, Turbo Boost is enabled again and many users are none the wiser. My Lenovo Y510P has this "feature". It is a very deceptive way to build a laptop. They should have put a few more dollars into proper cooling.

ThrottleStop can fix this problem but it does need to remain running so it can make sure that this CPU throttling does not resume while you are playing. It takes up very few CPU resources when it is minimized to the system tray so many people leave it running 24/7. Post a screenshot if you need any help setting it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts