Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets say there is an i7 860 @ 4ghz and the voltages are average for that overclock, what is the lowest performing heatsink that will still keep it under 80 degrees C at full load?
will the corsair h50 or the cm hyper 212 cut it? I know that for the i7 920 the h50 and the hyper 212 are ok, but at 4ghz the cpu can get way too hot, I'm just wondering how much cooler the 860 is if at all

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
You will have your best luck with one of the top rank coolers: Silver Arrow, D14, Megahalems, VX.
Second rank, still first rate: Thermaltake Frio, Scythe Mugen 2.

The nice thing about the Arrow and the D14 is that both are quiet and superb performers right out of the box. If you want better performance you can get higher performance fans, get better temps and still stay quiet. From what I gather the D14 has less of a problem with RAM clearance. But with that 38mm gap in the middle of the Arrow you can put a San Ace or a Panaflo in there and get great cooling. Of course, you can use 38mm Megahalems clips and put a San Ace on the front of a D14 and get great temps as well.

Note that I run my 860 at 4GHz. I did lots of testing with a D14 using the stock NF-P14 and two Gentle Typhoon AP-15's. But I decided I didn't need that much cooling and dropped down to two AP-14's. That's the kind of flexibility you need with an 860. It's a hot-running chip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts