Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here...

I'm planning on building a new system and want to overclock the CPU to ~4Ghz. The only parts I have so far is the SSD and the power supply.

I'm not sure if I should go for a Socket 1156 or 1366 CPU.

The CPU's I'm looking at are:

- Core i7 920

- Core i7 860

- Xeon X3440

I know that the 920 supports tri channel, but am unsure of the other differences. It seems that both the socket 1156 CPU's have much cheaper board alternatives. $100-150 gets you a decent 1156 board, where $200-250 seems like gets you a decent 1366 board.

I'm not wanting to spend a boatload of money, but want to get something decent.

Can anyone chime in more about the overclocking ability of the above mentioned chips, as well is the chipset differences between 1156 and 1366?

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok, biggest argument for 1366 is its "upgrade track". Honestly, if your not willing to shell out 600-1000 dollars on a 6 Core CPU then you won't be making use of this upgradability.

Next is the SLI and Crossfire argument. While it is true that the 1366 allows you to use both cards at x16, bechmarks have shown that even the fastest cards do not make full use of the PCIe bandwidth, therefore there is really only a 1-3% performance increase. That may change in the future but by then we will be living on the moon.

The 1366 boasts Tri-Channel memory. TBH, no real benefit excepth the extra cost of a third stick of ram.

The 1366 platform motherboards are more expensive. You can find an affordable board, but if you want specific options, the 1366 generally costs 100 dollars more then its counterpart.

Speed wise the i7 920 overclocks a little faster than the i7 860 but typically they are within 100-200 MHz of eachother.

Benches show the i7 860 a smidge faster clock for clock.

If you intend on using turboboost, the i7 860 does a better job.

The xenon has a lower multi and may limit your overclock.

These are just some bullet points, as you can see I am 1156 Bias. A 920er will be along soon to correct me.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Well I would recomend you get an i7 920 and get a evga x58le the board is 200$ which is decent and gives u a ton of ports, I upgraded from a q6600 and I have to tell you the difference is pretty good especially
when running encoding, plus many people have the 920 on ocn you will never have any problems getting help with any of your issues
good luck

·
Registered
524 Posts
Basically, the deciding factors are going to be: what do you plan to do with this setup and do you plan to run multiple graphics cards?

A)
Encoding, ram bandwidth intensive tasks and 3 or more graphics cards? 1366

B)
Pretty much everything else? Whichever you can get cheaper.

Keep in mind the 1366 processors run dual channel just fine. Some benches have shown them to perform marginally better under dual channel mode for certain operations too.

The 920s have been overclocked more, but really, there aren't a lot of people who have tried to push the 860s to high levels. 4GHz is easily attainable on either platform. 4.2 and higher? Largely depends on your board.

By the time socket 1156 came out, most of the overclocking crowd were already well situated with a 920.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also, when you decide on which platform to go with, don't forget to ask around on here. There are quite a few people here who are very good at hunting down bargains and will likely be able to save you a pretty good amount of money.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutal-Force View Post
Ok, biggest argument for 1366 is its "upgrade track". Honestly, if your not willing to shell out 600-1000 dollars on a 6 Core CPU then you won't be making use of this upgradability.

Next is the SLI and Crossfire argument. While it is true that the 1366 allows you to use both cards at x16, bechmarks have shown that even the fastest cards do not make full use of the PCIe bandwidth, therefore there is really only a 1-3% performance increase. That may change in the future but by then we will be living on the moon.

The 1366 boasts Tri-Channel memory. TBH, no real benefit excepth the extra cost of a third stick of ram.

The 1366 platform motherboards are more expensive. You can find an affordable board, but if you want specific options, the 1366 generally costs 100 dollars more then its counterpart.

Speed wise the i7 920 overclocks a little faster than the i7 860 but typically they are within 100-200 MHz of eachother.

Benches show the i7 860 a smidge faster clock for clock.

If you intend on using turboboost, the i7 860 does a better job.

The xenon has a lower multi and may limit your overclock.

These are just some bullet points, as you can see I am 1156 Bias. A 920er will be along soon to correct me.

Even as a 920 owner I can say I agree with this. The reason I and probably everyone else that made the choice to go 920 is because this is Overclock.net, the bleeding edge of technology. It's true that the 920 option will only give you a bit more performance over an i5 but here, every shred of performance counts. just look at people who try to push their OCs just for those few MHz. It really is up to you. Upgradability is quite a huge factor tho, when the 6 cores drop in price I can upgrade.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
the price difference on the cpus are minimal.

the i7 920 will perform better slightly.

if paired with a evga x58 it can easily push 4.0 Ghz +

with that said,
Socket 1366 can Also run Dual channel, it doesn't have to have triple channel ram. (save $ there)

If you plan on keeping the desktop for a while Go with the i7 920, when prices drop you can easily upgrade the chip.

the 860 is not bad it self. but for about $75-$80 more on the build i'd get the 920.

·
Banned
3,414 Posts
I would go with the i5 750 - better overclocking than the i7 860 and 3440 especially good on air cooling however if you want super 4.5ghz+ oc's then get the i7 920. - the i5 performs very well compared to the i7's and is only a little down on its performance because of no hyperthreading. also a biggie - the i5 is a lot cheaper. but if it's a choice of those three in the OP then i would go with i7 920 but if you don't have such an expensive budget go for the i7 860 because the boards and ram are a lot cheaper

But! - it depends what you are using it for.

gaming - i5-750
rendering - i7 920/860/3440
extreme benching - i7 920

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
if u want a i7 i have a 920 d0 for sale =) asking 200 for it lapped

buying the new 6 core processor so want to get rid of this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I was going to jump on the tigerdirect deal for the 920, but I guess its over now...

They had the i7 920 for $212 shipped after cashback... pretty darn good deal.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with your computer and how much you want to spend. I think the 920 recommendations are great. A bit more than an 860 but slightly better OC'ing and more features and future upgradability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts