Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have around $300 to spend on a new cpu. My son and I are new to overclocking, and we were wondering which chip, the 930 or a ebay $300 i7 940, would yield higher overclocks? Can anyone offer some suggestions as to which chip to get??

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
920 D0 or a good ocing 920 C0. The newer ones are not as good as the older ones in terms of overclocking.
That wasn't his question though he was asking either a 930 or 940.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You should not buy the 940, especially if you are overclocking. Only thing the 940 has over 920/930 is higher stock clock speed and a higher multiplier but people never really use over a 21 multiplier for overclocking anyways.

I say you should get the 920 its simple, low end, and overclocks beatifully. The 930 doesn't really overclock any better than the 920 for the most part and its kind of a gamble if it will overclock good.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
the 930 will almost positively deliver better/higher/lower volt/ overclocks than the 940 hands down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the imput. Does the stepping really matter THAT much?? I've seem the older 940's have CO stepping and the newer 930'shave DO stepping, and I've also seen the CPU Benhcmark chart that the 930 scores are better. Do you guys find this valid information??

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallhulk View Post
Thanks guys for the imput. Does the stepping really matter THAT much?? I've seem the older 940's have CO stepping and the newer 930'shave DO stepping, and I've also seen the CPU Benhcmark chart that the 930 scores are better. Do you guys find this valid information??
Yes the stepping does matter that much in terms of OC potential. C0's are known to require huge amounts of voltage the higher you over clock the chip. D0's run MUCH cooler, and require much less voltage (even the bad D0's) to be stable at high clocks.

I agree, I would go with a 930 hands down over a 940.

However, my recommendation would be a Xeon W3520
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7213&Tpk=w3520

It's basically a high binned 920 and are known to run amazing speeds at low voltages.

EDIT
This guy is selling his good OC'ing W3520 for $265 shipped
http://www.overclock.net/main-compon...il-4-2ghz.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx Evtron I will do some looking at that chip. At any rate seems unanimous that the 930 is the better choice and not a 940.

·
Registered
509 Posts
there are no real difference between 920, 930, and 940. the only difference are the stock speeds with each one. you can easily over clock it to match it with the higher models..

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
the 920 is a bit cheaper than the 930, but I also agree that you should look into the Xeons, as they are great overclockers.
If you get a good 930 batch, they will easily outperform the 920 in overclocking ability.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecaftermath
View Post

there are no real difference between 920, 930, and 940. the only difference are the stock speeds with each one. you can easily over clock it to match it with the higher models..

You obviously haven't been reading much at all or have a clue about i7s. The 930 has 22X and the 940 has 23X with turbo. Even multipliers from my experience and others experience, do not work very well at all on i7s and Core 2 Quads over a certain clock, usually around 4.0-4.2 Ghz and above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

avoid the 22x like the plague.

This ^^^^^^^ if the 22X multi does not work for you above 4.0 Ghz on a i7 930, then you basically bought an i7 920.

You are less likely to run into a motherboard clock wall with the i7 940 since it has a 23x multi with turbo. Higher multipliers = obviously lower BCLKs for higher clocks

The guy wants a 930 or 940, not a 920, the smarter choice here would be getting the 940 for the higher multi, the 930 has an even 22x multi which the i7s do not like too well (even multis)

Look at this, with a 940 you can get 4.6Ghz with 23x200
Now with a 920 you would need 21x220

Now, depending on the quality of the CPU and motherboard, some will have a hard time getting to or close to 220 base clock.

IMO the logical choice here is the 940 for the higher multiplier.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecaftermath
View Post

Worst advice ever.

If they are near the same price, get the 940 because it is DEFINITELY 100% a better choice.

Okay let's make it simple:
920 - 21x
930 - 22x
940 - 23x

On the 930 you will NEVER touch the 22x multiplier as it is very unstable and requires a hell of a lot of fine tuning to stabilize it at higher clocks. You will always want to be on an odd multiplier which means.. 21! So that's the same as a 920.

But the 940 has a 23x multiplier which will help you get to higher clocks without reaching your BCLK wall which was 223 on the Bloodrage.

Honestly, if price was an issue I'd pick the 920. If 920 and 930 are the same, it's a coin toss but if all 3 of those were close enough, DEFINITELY get the 940.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thxagain guys for all the good feedback. I did some checking and that Xeon W3520 looks pretty awesome. Im curious though, will any good 1366 motherboard work for these Xeons?? Or do they need cetain socket 1366?? Sorry for such a newb question.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallhulk
View Post

Thxagain guys for all the good feedback. I did some checking and that Xeon W3520 looks pretty awesome. Im curious though, will any good 1366 motherboard work for these Xeons?? Or do they need cetain socket 1366?? Sorry for such a newb question.

No any 1366 is fine. I've owned a W3520 and they were great!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hehe I had the same question few days ago which one to buy.

But if you look D0 has indeed better OC capabilities than the C0 what you have at the 940. You need more voltage and more temp to get it higher.

After I readed some posts here I picked the 930. As its much cheaper, even if you can get it cheaper, remember you dont know what they did with the 940 when they owned it.

But that W3520 looks indeed intresting

1 - 20 of 24 Posts