Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's some dust in the computer (i7 920), stock cooler, and when i encode some videos @ 50% CPU or when I play Left 4 Dead 2, it shows 100C...

Is this normal and/or too high ? Idle @ 55-60

When it was new, Idle was 35+... now 55-60. Can dust have that much effect on my temp ?

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
That is nuts...dust would have some effect but I wouldn't think it would almost double your temps. I would reapply thermal paste and see if that fixes your issue.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Dust can prevent air from cooling your heatsink so YES it can. Why haven't you invested in an aftermarket cooling system yet?

Dust on my laptop's heatsink raised the temps on it by an average of 35c.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never, I bought the computer some months ago

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
I7s are extremely hot chips. Id get a cheap aftermarket cooler like the Dark Knight to keep it in check. Good flow and no dust build up are also essential to a healthy cpu.

100c is the thermal junction MAXIMUM the chip will start tjrottling at that point and can be damaged. For encoding and such, sub 70c would be a safe place to shoot for.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Clean out your case ASAP!!!
either buy some canned air-works okay.
or use an aircompressor to blast air thru your cpu cooler and blow the dust out of there! If you use an air compressor, make sure that its not blowing any condensation out of the nozzle. spray it at a piece of cardboard or paper first to see if any water comes out.

100c is the danger range and it should never get that hot

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some time ago when encoding i was getting 75.... but now 100...it's weird.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,706 Posts
Doubt it's that hot. Your machine would actually shut off if it got that high. There's a cut off switch in every Bios that will literally perform an emergency shutdown if temps get too high.

That sounds like a glitch but take a pic of your heatsink just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
Clean your computer!!!!!!!!!! Your heatsink is cloged and cannot perform its duties!

That is not some dust that is a massive accumulation of pc killing dust.do u smoke around tour computer? Have pets? Thats insane for a couple months. CLEAN IT!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, you did ask, heyzeus

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cr4zYH3aD View Post
well, you did ask, heyzeus
I know and i love it. I had a computer like that once. Bro just get some of the compressed air in a can and get all that **** out of there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.