Overclock.net banner

Should I put this block back in my loop?

• Yea, don't be a wuss!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • OMG! You need a new one stat!

Votes: 3 60.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I got a used Asus MVG with a EK nickel plated VRM block (EK-MOSFET Max IV Gene). I decided to take it apart and clean it real good last weekend.

This is what greeted me when I opened 'er up:

I cleaned it out, and looked like this:

You can see the nickel's been corroded leaving bare copper.

Now, I've talked to the seller and he thinks that since I cleaned away all the loose (at this moment) material it's fine to use and it's only the appearance that is damaged and that he didn't have any problem with it (when ran like in the first picture). My gut feeling tells me that's not the case, as it has started eating away the plating, the rest might just as well follow after run some time. If it even will cool as before...

How much of a risk is it to run it like this? Any easy way of stripping off all the plating that is left?
He ran Mayhems Pastel Blue btw.

I also got a EK Supremacy nickel which he had run in the same loop, and that looks absolutely fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Once you have exposed copper, even if it's a micro-pit, eventually ALL of the plating that makes contact with water will flake off.

You cannot use that block for risk of destroying your pump.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
It will still work the same way, it is still copper with water flowing over it. I very much doubt that a centrifugal pump would be in any way damaged by small flakes of nickel if that is what is happening. At most it would mean that your other blocks would need to be stripped and cleaned regularly as material will build up in micro channels.

Edit: Is the damage just in one end? it seems to be worst at the end. It looks like it has been left with a stagnant fluid sitting in it or something maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts