Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a distilled water loop with Primochill liquid utopia and am using the watercooling products from the EKWB kit so I believe everything is copper/nickel plated and will not have galvanic corrosion. I did add another EKWB radiator (coolstream series) and their D5 pump (stainless steel) so it should all be compatible I think (no aluminum).

My components have corrosion everywhere and I'm not sure why. Here is a photo gallery:

https://imgur.com/a/wy6Mpf8

I contacted EKWB and they said this is normal (I think?).

I saw a yt video from Singularity Computers saying that distilled water will corrode the blocks eventually and to use a corrosion inhibitor, they recommended Mayhems Corrosion Inhibitor but I had Liquid Utopia in it already.

I'm really at a loss on what to do or what might be the problem. My only idea so far is to try that Mayhems Inhibitor. Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
well I use a 20% Prestone antifreeze, 80% distilled water mix, in my water loops, if you want to stop having coolant issues, this is what I would suggest using. works fine if replaced every three to four years.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
^ +1

I've used antifreeze (10%) and distilled water for 20 years and never had a problem. I even stored a filled system for 3 years and there were no issues whatsoever.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
The black on the copper is just oxidation and normal. If it bothers you letting some ketchup sit on it for a while and some light toothbrush scrubbing is the old method of cleaning it up. The white powdery residue is likely plasticizer from the tubing and common issue in most types of soft tubing.

The only "corrosion" I see is the nickel in the stagnant areas of the EK block and there is no surprise there. Just clean it up as best you can and slap it back in there or you can strip the rest of the nickel off. I'm not familiar with Liquid Utopia so I can't comment on its effectiveness as a corrosion inhibitor or why it didn't help in this case

If you want an all distilled loop don't use nickel this has been an issue with plating (especially EK's) for years. I've run loops for 5 years using just distilled and pt-nuke without draining and have never seen corrosion outside of one bad plug.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't use ketchup on the nickel plated parts. Only use it on copper.
Get some automotive chrome polish to clean up the nickel parts. Just apply some polish on the nick part and polish it with a microfiber towel.

·
Overclocker in training
13,954 Posts
Hi,
I'd be wondering what auto anti freeze would do to ek tubing if that is what you're using and which size 10-13mm or 10-16mm soft tubing ?

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
Hi,
I'd be wondering what auto anti freeze would do to ek tubing if that is what you're using and which size 10-13mm or 10-16mm soft tubing ?
stain it after about a year, it would do this to any clear tubing. it does not stain my reservoir, or water blocks at all.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi,
Switch to ZMT tubing and don't worry about it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts